• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking DCO for Intel/IWO

Northshore

My family members who are currently in active duty for the Navy and Marines referred me to this site. I want to say thanks for those who have posted their experiences in regards to the Navy Reserve. Watching family members graduate from the Naval Academy and others from OCS inspired me to do something meaningful in life. I've decided to write about my current experience in seeking a direct commission for an Intel or IWO Officer.

After my last trip to Newport Rhode Island to watch my cousin live his dream of becoming a Naval Aviator I decided to speak to a Navy Reserve Officer recruiter. Back in July while visiting family in New York a recruiter from the Navy website gave me the contact information for NRDs in San Diego and Santa Ana CA. Upon my return I gave them a call. Several days later I had an appointment to visit NRD in Santa Ana. The recruiters asked me a number of questions and recommended several designators. However, my information was forwarded to an Officer Recruiter since the NRD recruits NCOs. I never knew and I'm learning as I go as a civilian (or I'm still wrong and one of you can correct me).

A few days later I received a phone call from a recruiter. He stopped by my home and asked a number of questions, my interest, and recommended the following designators. Intel, IWO, or I.T. based on my 15+ years in I.T., degrees, certificates, etc. Fast forward to October, I'm in the process of completing the prescreen, APSR, SF-86, obtaining transcripts, etc. I was told that my qualifications would be reviewed by an IWO officer in San Diego to see if I would get the nod to move forward with the interviews and OAR before presenting to the board. To some degree, the Navy kit is similar to my experiences when I applied for grad school!

I'm certain many of you have seen a billion of these postings about seeking a commission but I really do appreciate the experiences that you have shared. Thanks again.

Renegade One

None
All of those pipelines are ones in which you may "go forth and slay dragons"...in the service of your country. The fact that a recruiter called you is a "good sign". Be happy in your work.

But only do this if it truly serves "your passion". Your family seems to have done enough.

Northshore

Thanks for the tips Renegade One.

To update this thread the IWO in SD reviewed my resume and transcripts and agreed for the recruiter to move forward with the Navy kit. I have an appointment on Wed for paperwork (SF-86 and APSR) and fingerprints. An interesting piece of info, apparently the Intel/IWO/IP community no longer requires the OAR exam for reservist. I will need to research this to confirm.

Northshore

Met with the recruiter today to fill out and sign form 2807 and 680. I will need to collect a few medical records for MEPs.

Northshore

A bit frustrating. After a few months of obtaining medical records MEPs in San Diego was unable to make a yes or no decision. My records were sent to a Captain in Tennessee who reviewed my records and subsequently wrote a DQ to the recruiter. The issue was blood pressure and the medication I take for it. I passed the rope and choke at NRD, I eat healthy, work out a ton, however my parents do have it. I have heard of candidates who sought a second opinion from a Navy or civilian doctor to obtain clearance. Based on the searches and multiple threads on this board it would appear that some were successful and others were not. I'm not certain if speaking to a different recruiter will help. If any of you ran into this issue please post or message me. Thanks!

OHNavy

Truckin'
A bit frustrating. After a few months of obtaining medical records MEPs in San Diego was unable to make a yes or no decision. My records were sent to a Captain in Tennessee who reviewed my records and subsequently wrote a DQ to the recruiter. The issue was blood pressure and the medication I take for it. I passed the rope and choke at NRD, I eat healthy, work out a ton, however my parents do have it. I have heard of candidates who sought a second opinion from a Navy or civilian doctor to obtain clearance. Based on the searches and multiple threads on this board it would appear that some were successful and others were not. I'm not certain if speaking to a different recruiter will help. If any of you ran into this issue please post or message me. Thanks!

That sucks. Not sure you have much in the way of options if that's the word from TN. I'm no expert, but can speak to my waiver experience.

In my case (mild GERD, not HBP) MEPS PDQ’d me based on my medical documents pre-physical. The CNRC N3M then determined a waiver was possible and for MEPS to go ahead with the physical. After MEPS PDQ'd me at the physical, N3M provided the waiver. I included a letter from my civilian doc for the waiver request. Again, not exactly your situation.

A good forum outside what is already covered on AW is here.

Your OR will have guidance on next steps. Hope this helps. Good luck.