• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
@Rocketman I love my Glock 36. Over a thousand rounds and I've yet to have single issue with it. Maybe bunk got a bad one, or maybe I got a good one, but I absolutely love mine. I would trust it with my life.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
@Rocketman I love my Glock 36. Over a thousand rounds and I've yet to have single issue with it. Maybe bunk got a bad one, or maybe I got a good one, but I absolutely love mine. I would trust it with my life.

Like Bunk alluded to I think he got a bad one. Evidently there were more than one or two bad ones out there early on. Sounds like they got it fixed so I think I'll spring for a new one. I have a G19 and G21fs and love them both. Thanks for the input guys.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I have a friend at work that has an Enfield SMLE .303 that he wants to sell. I've been looking for a good deer rifle and I wanted to see if any of you here had any experience with this weapon.

Thanks,

Tex

MasterBates

303 is plenty for deer. 30-06 class round, most should be accurate enough.

How does the barrel look and has it been sporterized? I have one "as issued" No4 SMLE and a sporterized No3.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
303 is plenty for deer. 30-06 class round, most should be accurate enough.

How does the barrel look and has it been sporterized? I have one "as issued" No4 SMLE and a sporterized No3.

He's bringing it in tomorrow for me to look at. He said it has a removable magazine instead of the top fed clip similar to the M1 Garand.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm no SMLE expert but if if it's like the one I used to own the mag is removable but not really intended to be routinely reloaded with another mag. (like say an M1A/M14) It's removable but you'd still likely use a stripper clip for reloading. They are very nice weapons. The action is slicker than hell. Like MB says check the bore to be sure it's not pitted. Dark is ok but pitted isn't.

When my middle son was about 10 years old he wanted to fire my SMLE from the prone position. I suggested standing but he insisted. Experience being the best teacher and all I let him go ahead. The 303 packs a pretty good wallop on both ends so I knew what was going to happen. The second round he fired was from a good standing position. Lesson learned.

I wish I had that weapon back but I still have an Ishapore thats a great shooter

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Some input...
Eying an FN 5.7 for 925 on a tax free weekend. Not really too hot about dropping that coin right now but I'm worried that the Brady Bunch might succed in banning this thing. I know they aren't the most likeable to some (yes i still love my .45s) but I'd really like to do some reloading and hop them up above 2200 FPS. Should I do it now or wait it out a while to see if I can snag one through a gun show cash or through my dad's wholesale mags as he is an FFL?! Thoughts?

I'm a hardcore 5.56 guy and the only pistolas I want past my two .45s are a Colt Python and an FN 5.7 at this point (ok and maybe a baby eagle .45 but that can be had at a gun show for a good price if you are good haggler so no rush on that one either)

After the good spec outs on the barrels a while back figured I'd ask here, sorry I don't have much to contribute to the firearms thread.

CAMike

None
Contributor
xmid and rocketman- I have a G36 on my permit and I've put about 1200 rounds on it during the last year. It has never had a FTF or FTF or any other function anomaly. Same reliability with my Kahr PM9 for pocket holster carry in summer shorts (nemisis model). Bunk probably had one of the early production models which had some issues. Good luck with your decision. Almost everything now days is a good choice if it fits your hands and physical size requirements. Consumers pretty much hold the success of any manufacturer in the palms of their hands with internet communication feedback.

I had a Kahr P45 that was the ant-christ and after mentioning my repeated frustrations with their proposed resolutions, I quickly had a 100% equal value exchange for a nearly similar priced Kahr model.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Guys my G36 was bought last year, Aug 2010 brand new. It was simply a lemon, every manufacturer has them. I didn't like the feel of the G36 either but I tell ya, when it worked, it was accurate for its size.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I think (know) I need another firearm, but I don't know what to get. Here's what I have thus far:

G21SF
G20
G26
S&W 500
Benelli M1 Tactical
M1A
AR-15
CAR-15

I'm torn between getting something classic like a 1911 or an M1 Garand, or something new and tactical. I like tactical. What do y'all think would compliment my small collection?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I think (know) I need another firearm, but I don't know what to get. Here's what I have thus far:
G21SF
G20
G26
S&W 500
Benelli M1 Tactical
M1A
AR-15
CAR-15
I'm torn between getting something classic like a 1911 or an M1 Garand, or something new and tactical. I like tactical. What do y'all think would compliment my small collection?

You could kill 2 birds with one stone (history and or tactical) and pick up a FAL. DSA does some pretty innovative stuff with this platform.....it shoots a "real" round, is uber reliable and mags are cheap. I have an STG58 Austrian FAL (made by a friend) that I would choose over my M1A if the zombies were ever really marching toward my house. http://www.dsarms.com/

While you're at it ....looks like you need a good 22 rifle and a quality bolt gun too

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Larry Vickers, of multiple firearm arena and 'operator' fame, likes the FAL as well. I asked the question about FALs a while ago, and while I haven't had the chance to delve too deeply into it, it's on my list. I think that I was initially interested in an RFB-18--which incidentally uses metric FAL magazines--but was turned away from it by the ridiculously short barrel life expectation that Kel-Tec advertises (5,000 rds). Realistically, I doubt that I would exceed that, but I've already heard of people complaining about their RFBs' barrels starting to wear on them. So the FAL seemed like a better option. Plus, DSA is, as Rocketman said, doing pretty badass things with the platform.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot

G21SF
G20
G26
S&W 500
Benelli M1 Tactical
M1A
AR-15
CAR-15

Sounds like you have the tactical covered. I've got both! I don't think you can go wrong with either purchase. If you're really stuck on tactical, you might check out a railed 1911 like a Springfield Operator or Sig GSR. I sorta think the 1911 is best left in its original iteration though. Garands are a little harder to come by now that CMP has sold out of their Service Grades, at least for the time being. They will hopefully get more in stock soon, but they're not going to last forever!

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Ok guys. I'm starting to get the itch for a new rifle and I'm seriously considering getting an AK-47 to compliment my M4gery and Lee Enfield SMLE. I found this little primer on M4carbine.net that goes into what to look for in an AK, but I thought I'd check here to see if any of you have anything to add before I go out and buy one. Any input is appreciated. =)