• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

yak52driver

Contributor
Does anyone have any experience with the Sig P250 Compact? Now that Wisconsin has passed a CCW bill I want something smaller than my P226. I like my P226, have shot a number of other semi-auto but have not shot the P250. Thanks.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I plan on shooting a few times a month. I'm familiar with various pistols in a casual sense, having shot a variety here and there. If I buy one I definitely plan to go to the range at least every two weeks or so to get proficient. Good to hear the mag thing is a myth. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's true and what's not, since so many people believe certain things. Glocks are real reliable, so I may go that route in the end.

Thanks for the good gouge guys. I appreciate it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am pulling rank and going straight to my question without using search. Heard lots of good things about XDs here and other places. Just shot a XD Compact in 9mm for the first time today. I am considering one for my wife. I have never liked Glocks, but the XD trigger I shot was sweet. I just loved the thing. Next step is to get her to shoot both a Glock and the XD. My question is, what is the difference between the XD and XDM? Anything important between them to consider for all around personal defense and female carry weapon?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
XDM is a little bit more gucci'd up. I like them both. XDM comes with changeable backgrips, a second mag, and I think they sell them with an IWB or paddle holster, can't remember. I prefer shooting the xdm, but if cost is a factor, the XD is just as good.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will the XDM changeable back strap make the grip smaller or just larger? Grip size might be an issue with her. The XD fit me pretty well, and her hand is smaller than mine.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I think they only go bigger. I shot it with the smallest on, and it was fine. I have carny hands, too. I prefer single stacks, but with the smallest grip it was mo betta' than the XD, which was already pretty comfy.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Wink,

I have an XD .40 as my CCW and love it. I got a trigger job done by Powder River Precision out in Baker City, OR. Did you shoot a stock XD or one that had a trigger job. The trigger job they did on my XD is unreal. I had a couple team guys shoot it as well as a competition pistol (and SWAT guy) shooter shoot it and they said it was the best trigger job they had felt. The XDm has a match barrel, the extra back straps, dove tail sights and some versions hold a couple more rounds. Other than that, they are very similar. Both come with padded cases, holster, 2 mags, mag holster, and loader. Take your wife to any good gun store and they can change out the back straps to see if the XDm feels more comfortable than the XD. Its all in the grip. When my wife learned how to grip a handgun properly, my XD .40 went from feeling to big, to being alright for her. If you are ever in the area, feel free to swing buy. There is a nice range a few miles from my house, and you can shoot my XD to feel the difference in a stock trigger vs one that has been worked. Overall, the XD is a great gun and if you or anyone is in the market, its worth the look.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
One of my primary carries is my XD9sc and I love the gun. It has over 5000 rounds through it without a single gun related failure (had one light strike on some cheap ammo). The trigger on mine is a bit sloppy, time for a PRP trigger kit I think. I have a slightly used XDc 45 on layaway as well. It is dark earth, hard to find around here. I like XD/XDM quite a bit. I was trying to decide between a new XDM 45 an the used XDc 45 but I got the XDc for $300 cheaper so I went for it. I do want an XDM eventually, I love the XDM 3.8 9mm with 19 rounds!! Of course my Gen 3 Glock 19 is still my primary carry.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Does anyone have any experience with the Sig P250 Compact? Now that Wisconsin has passed a CCW bill I want something smaller than my P226. I like my P226, have shot a number of other semi-auto but have not shot the P250. Thanks.
I shot one a few years ago and it left an extremely negative impression. I didn't like it at all. Made me think "this is what SIG has slumped to??". It will not remind you of your P226. Last year I ended up buying a P232SL (a stainless model with Hogue grips) that is great for carrying and very, very accurate, but is only chambered in 9mm Kurz/.380 Auto. The XD/M's discussed above are great pistols but the compact ones are still large due to the wide grip. Something I don't really understand when it comes to manufacturers making compact and subcompact pistols designed for CC, and all they do is cut the barrel down. That's not the part that's hard to conceal! A4's recommended to me the HK P2000sk a long while ago, and I still wish I had bought it instead of my P30. It's a bit pricey, but give it a look.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
A Glock 36 is a single stack 45 right? I've been considering something like that but have fired one yet.

yak52driver

Contributor
I shot one a few years ago and it left an extremely negative impression. I didn't like it at all. Made me think "this is what SIG has slumped to??". It will not remind you of your P226. Last year I ended up buying a P232SL (a stainless model with Hogue grips) that is great for carrying and very, very accurate, but is only chambered in 9mm Kurz/.380 Auto. The XD/M's discussed above are great pistols but the compact ones are still large due to the wide grip. Something I don't really understand when it comes to manufacturers making compact and subcompact pistols designed for CC, and all they do is cut the barrel down. That's not the part that's hard to conceal! A4's recommended to me the HK P2000sk a long while ago, and I still wish I had bought it instead of my P30. It's a bit pricey, but give it a look.

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the HK P2000sk, too

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A Glock 36 is a single stack 45 right? I've been considering something like that but have fired one yet.

I think most folks won't have a problem with them but my G36 was a lemon. I had at least 5-8 FTF's every 50 rounds. Had others fire it as well, all with same results. With the recent issues with the 1911 I had at the time, it went bye-bye.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I think most folks won't have a problem with them but my G36 was a lemon. I had at least 5-8 FTF's every 50 rounds. Had others fire it as well, all with same results. With the recent issues with the 1911 I had at the time, it went bye-bye.

Thanks bunk. I've done a god bit of research on the G36 where more than a few folks experience some level of too many FTE and bolt under proplems . That sounds like sprig problems or maybe a very tight frame to slide issue to me.......It did expose some evident holes in Glocks CS, They seem to be drinking their own cool aide at this point.

I rented a G36 this weekend and wish I didn't like it so much. Fits my hand nicely and it will flat eat center out a target at 25M. This one had a NY trigger and after 100 rounds or so I was begining to get used to it. No FTEs etc

My kid loves his G30. He just snivvells a bit while looking for accessoroes

I think I'm going to take a chance on one soon

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,

I have an XD .40 as my CCW and love it. I got a trigger job done by Powder River Precision out in Baker City, OR. Did you shoot a stock XD or one that had a trigger job. The trigger job they did on my XD is unreal. I had a couple team guys shoot it as well as a competition pistol (and SWAT guy) shooter shoot it and they said it was the best trigger job they had felt. The XDm has a match barrel, the extra back straps, dove tail sights and some versions hold a couple more rounds. Other than that, they are very similar. Both come with padded cases, holster, 2 mags, mag holster, and loader. Take your wife to any good gun store and they can change out the back straps to see if the XDm feels more comfortable than the XD. Its all in the grip. When my wife learned how to grip a handgun properly, my XD .40 went from feeling to big, to being alright for her. If you are ever in the area, feel free to swing buy. There is a nice range a few miles from my house, and you can shoot my XD to feel the difference in a stock trigger vs one that has been worked. Overall, the XD is a great gun and if you or anyone is in the market, its worth the look.
Thanks for all the useful info, and the invite. I shot a stock XD and actually thought the trigger was pretty fine. I haven't shot a Glock for some years now, but as I remember the Glock, the XD was much crisper. It was nearly as nice as my stock Sig SA trigger, and better than the H&K .40 I have with what they call the LEM trigger.