• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is with the canopy on the first Scooter,is it a TA-4 or is that the humpback pkg? Looks like a bulged canopy on the back.

Instead of using the TA-4 canopy, they opted to add another single canopy in their trainers (they also installed a modern HUD and other avionics)

TA-4SU_close-up.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The only "real" problem w/ the RSAF A-4's was the initial decision to stick w/ the old, underpowered J65's that the initial aircraft buy was equipped with ... when they went w/ the non-AB 404 turbofan, they never looked back.

The Republic Singapore Air Force (RSAF) ... I always thought it an interesting outfit, both in terms of equipment and "attitude". When compared to other pilot groups, it's a very traditional group, even somewhat "colonial" or "Commonwealth" in its style, and some of the wags still called it "Royal" Singapore Air Force ... tongue-in-cheek. I got the full dog & pony show in the mid '80's while on a 3-day layover by virtue of a "friend of a friend" ... it was one of the high points in my Orient airline "down time".
:)

I was within an "RCH" of going to work for Singapore Air Lines in the mid-'70's ... I still wonder "what if" ??? ... it would have changed everything .... :)

Some pretty good links:

The Singapore Skyhawk Story

Skyhawks Bow Out on a High Note - Singapore Straits Times

Republic of Singapore Air Force - Wiki

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man, I'd love to have one of those two-seat Sing Super Scooters. Oh, well. One day when my best-selling oil well comes in.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Singapore has some nice looking ladies, and cops who will stomp your shit if you litter. I like it. Shoulda done it A4s.

Good food too.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Anybody want to buy one ... Here is one some guy started restoring but couldn't finish.

Ebay Link

Better hurry auction ends soon.

ghost

MasterBates

Next year is gonna be dangerous.. After my DITY move I will have everything paid off save the Manatee and Sallie Mae. Time to get stupid with my DH bonus. And by that, I mean buy an airplane.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Singapore has some nice looking ladies, and cops who will stomp your shit if you litter. I like it. Shoulda done it A4s.

Good food too.
Yeah ... I like it too ... and the pity is, the "reason" that I didn't do it and I got divorced @ 10-11 years ago ... :D

Call me snake bit ...

One thing I noticed while flying the Orient over the decades was that the SIN stewardess-girls
(heck, even the identifier - SIN - is questionable :)), more so than any others, really, REALLY "like" round-eye-gaijin-Mom & ApplePie-US of A-Yankee Air Pirates ...

Believe it. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anybody want to buy one ... Here is one some guy started restoring but couldn't finish.

Ebay Link

Better hurry auction ends soon.

ghost
Chump change -- $39K -- especially if it's as nice as he says -- but then .... plan on dumping in @ another half-mil to get it flying ... and then where you gonna base it/fly it/where's your oil well for fuel, who's gonna maintain it ... etc., etc. ... but it IS fun to "imagine" ... and as long as we're imagining, I'd rather "imagine" it w/ a J-52-P-8 or if I REALLY wanted to go crazy a -408 ... but that's just me. :)

MasterBates

I'm pretty handy.

From those in the know, if you keep a warbird in a climate controlled hangar not near sea water, how hard is it to keep up with corrosion and the like. Just CC alone would scare me given the USN birds I have been around, but they are in sea air 24/7 and only see indoors for major work, and that's not climate controlle.d

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty handy. ....
Sooooooooooo ... if I buy one ... and pay for it .... (and fly it) .... you'll help me build it and maintain it (?) ... and carry my helmet bag ... and strap me in ... and wipe my canopy ... ??? :)

You know ... since your butt-sitting height is too freakishly big to meet the anthro's ... ??? :D

ACTUALLY ... the NAVY/USMC "team" used to put the biggest guys in the A-4 and the smallest guys in the F-4 ... don't know why, it just seemed to work out that way, time after time ...