• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
eddie said:
There were three songs in that vid, all of them I know I've heard before, and it's killing me trying to remember what each was from.

Anyone got any idea?

I know that the first one is from Gladiator, don't know about the others.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur..the Falklands era Skyhawks were very early model A-4s...(B/C models)----note their stubby noses. Timeline:

1965: Argentina became first export country to purchase A-4 Skyhawk when the Argentine Air Force ordered seventy-five A-4P Skyhawks, which were rebuilt US Navy/Marine A-4B and A-4C aircraft (US was buying A-4Es by then). The first batch of 25 A-4P Skyhawks were delivered to the Argentine Air Force in 1966. A second batch of A-4P Skyhawks were delivered to the Argentine Air Force in 1970.

In 1971, sixteen A-4Q Skyhawks were purchased for the Argentine Navy for use on its aircraft carrier the 25 de Mayo, which was purchased from the Durch in 1968. The A-4Q Skyhawks were also rebuilt former US Navy/Marine A-4B Skyhawks.

The Argentine Air Force accepted a third batch of 25 A-4P Skyhawks in 1976.

Nineteen Argentine Air Force and six Navy Skyhawks were lost during the Malvinas/Falklands South Atlantic war with Great Britain. Argentina initially sought Israeli A-4H Skyhawks to replace their losses, but US (which had to approve transfer) disapproved the sale. After embargo on trade with US was lifted in 1983, Argentina sought additional Skyhawks directly from the US to replace their losses and requested thirty-six surplus USMC A-4M Skyhawks. These refurbished A-4M Skyhawks were renamed the A-4AR Fighting Hawk by the Argentines. Lockheed Martin refurbished the first eight A-4M Skyhawks in the United States in 1995. The remaining twenty-eight aircraft were modified at a Lockheed Martin facility in Argentina. An unkown number of A-4E/J aircraft were also obtained mainly for spare parts.

Note: Many Argentine Aviators were trained in US or in Argentina later by former US Navy instructors (A4s missed his calling!). Note their affection for Navy G-1 Flight Jacket and wearing of patches in individualistic fashion like their US Navy counterparts.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I met an Argentine A4 pilot who flew in the war with the Brits while I was on my UN mission. He had some stories to tell. The one I remember most was that they had just enough fuel to fly out to the target at altitude, do one bomb run and them climb back to altitude for the return trip home. No reserves and many ended up flaming out on the descent to the airfield. If they got in any kind of fight, it was almost a certainty they would flame out on approach. He had 3 deadstick landings.

We also had a Brit Harrier pilot in the UN mission. The 3 of us spent a hard night of drinking in the Canarie Islands. The Brit and Argentine swapped war stories. It was one of the best times I ever had even though I felt like a pussy listening to these guys talk.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
The Brit and Argentine swapped war stories. It was one of the best times I ever had even though I felt like a pussy listening to these guys talk.

When two men get together that previously were trying so hard to kill each other and can now talk as friends, I think that shows a lot about human decency.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
We also had a Brit Harrier pilot in the UN mission. The 3 of us spent a hard night of drinking in the Canarie Islands. The Brit and Argentine swapped war stories. It was one of the best times I ever had even though I felt like a pussy listening to these guys talk.
You mean you didn't chime in with some stories of your own? "There I was in my war-pig setting up to drop a couple BT and AN buoys in preparation for a 6 hour ONSTA period. We're getting close to the drop point, when I look back down the tube and discover, to my horror, that the orndnanceman is sleeping comfortably in the hammock he has rigged, swinging peacefully above the P-chutes...."

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I like the fact that the guy seems to have posted the ad without knowing jack crap about what he's selling.

I looked at the pictures--I think it'd almost be easier to build an A-4 from scratch than to use the ones he has. I like the fact that he used promotional A-4 art to illustrate the post, but put the actual item in a thumbnail.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I wonder what he means about the TA-4J being convertible to single-seat...Either way, I am drooling like a baby.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I think he was talking the other way around, taking a TA-4J cockpit and converting this Skyhawk from single to dual seat.

brownshoe

Contributor
Back in my day, when I was an ordie in VA-44, Skyhawk pilots like A4's carried a watch like this.
:)
Sorry, I haven't posted in a while, but I just couldn't resist.

Steve

Attachments

• Picture012-vi.jpg
    Picture012-vi.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3