• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
My favorite A-4 : OA-4M - the ultimate Scooter!
The addition of the avionics hump did improve the "lines" of the 2 seat A-4's, IMHO. They considered putting the J-52-P408, like the A-4M, in the air frame, but the size of the intakes were insufficient to satisfy the air volume demand of the engine. Hence, the J-52-P8 was retained, the same as the TA-4F and some retrofitted TA-4J's. Having flown A-4's for 14 straight years, the last 10 in the adversary business, enabled me to fly most of the versions still active at that time. The OA-4M was not one of them. At the end of my career, we had A-4M's at NAS Dallas, courtesy of the USMC, dedicated as adversary assets for VF-201, -202, & VMFA-112. The A-4F's ("Super Fox") we had at VC-12 (later VFC-12) had the P408 engine, like the A-4M. It was a rocket ship and my favorite model. The "Mike" had a larger canopy which made it a little more comfortable and a HUD, in addition to a self-start capability, which was nice for going on the road. We stripped everything else off, just like was done on the "F", including the avionics hump, to reduce weight. Our TA-4F's at the VC squadrons and also at NAS Dallas before the arrival of the "M", all had the J-52-P8. That was a very nice flying machine also, especially completely slick with no drops, which was seldomly done due to the need for the extra gas to get to and from the ranges. The 150 gal. center line tank was usually loaded, since the internal capacity of the T-birds was only 4000 lbs, vs. 5200 lbs on the "F" & "M". Sorry, I could ramble on longer, but my typing can't keep up with my brain.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of NAS Dallas (as @zipmartin was) here is the old squadron patch for the world’s greatest reserve A-4 squadron, VA-882!

1705524885393.jpeg
Actually my dad flew A-4’s with them…he loved the aircraft. The original patch is really large, easily twice the size of an ordinary patch.

VMO4

I am sorry , but the greatest reserve A-4 squadron was VMA-124 out of Memphis, my father flew for them back in the mid 60’s. I have his certificate from the “toss method” nuclear delivery school he attended, I picture a few junior captains in the back of the room wondering what maniac thought this up.JP-4399 - A-4E -VMA-124 -A3.png

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I am sorry , but the greatest reserve A-4 squadron was VMA-124 out of Memphis, my father flew for them back in the mid 60’s. I have his certificate from the “toss method” nuclear delivery school he attended, I picture a few junior captains in the back of the room wondering what maniac thought this up.
Maybe the greatest USMC reserve A-4 squadron…but likely only the 2nd best A-4 reserve squadron…after VA-882. 😀

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Guy ended up working as an aeronautical engineer and test pilot, qualified in 20+ different military and civilian aircraft. He was (or might still be) working with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He also holds a number of patents in aviation design and engineering technology. Not bad for a corporal with an Other Than Honorable ticket.
Unfortunately for Preston, his mil aircraft theft didn't springboard his aviation career. 😆

Llarry

Has anybody heard of the "Frankenhawk"? If my fuzzy memory is correct, somebody got their hands on a TA-4 airframe but the J52 engine was deemed not available for civilian use, so they reverse-upgraded it to J65 power.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Has anybody heard of the "Frankenhawk"? If my fuzzy memory is correct, somebody got their hands on a TA-4 airframe but the J52 engine was deemed not available for civilian use, so they reverse-upgraded it to J65 power.
I checked here…https://www.skyhawk.org/ and they don’t mention it. The site is pretty much the holy grail of A-4 information.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
One of my sim instructors in the Hornet RAG was the Station Duty Officer that day…crazy story.
From the article, it mentions he first commandeered a maint vehicle, prior to stealing the jet. I have no clue how to start an A-4, but I'm assuming this maint vehicle was requisite to getting the engine started?

I'm also curious if he was in comms with anyone after takeoff (TRACON or squadron duty officer). I'm assuming El Toro ATC was closed.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
From the article, it mentions he first commandeered a maint vehicle, prior to stealing the jet. I have no clue how to start an A-4, but I'm assuming this maint vehicle was requisite to getting the engine started?

I'm also curious if he was in comms with anyone after takeoff (TRACON or squadron duty officer). I'm assuming El Toro ATC was closed.
probably a tug and power unit. Not saying I approve of what he did but he was a hero to the L/Cpl underground. He did shake things up as far as flightline security matters were concerned.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The addition of the avionics hump did improve the "lines" of the 2 seat A-4's, IMHO. They considered putting the J-52-P408, like the A-4M, in the air frame, but the size of the intakes were insufficient to satisfy the air volume demand of the engine. Hence, the J-52-P8 was retained, the same as the TA-4F and some retrofitted TA-4J's. Having flown A-4's for 14 straight years, the last 10 in the adversary business, enabled me to fly most of the versions still active at that time. The OA-4M was not one of them. At the end of my career, we had A-4M's at NAS Dallas, courtesy of the USMC, dedicated as adversary assets for VF-201, -202, & VMFA-112. The A-4F's ("Super Fox") we had at VC-12 (later VFC-12) had the P408 engine, like the A-4M. It was a rocket ship and my favorite model. The "Mike" had a larger canopy which made it a little more comfortable and a HUD, in addition to a self-start capability, which was nice for going on the road. We stripped everything else off, just like was done on the "F", including the avionics hump, to reduce weight. Our TA-4F's at the VC squadrons and also at NAS Dallas before the arrival of the "M", all had the J-52-P8. That was a very nice flying machine also, especially completely slick with no drops, which was seldomly done due to the need for the extra gas to get to and from the ranges. The 150 gal. center line tank was usually loaded, since the internal capacity of the T-birds was only 4000 lbs, vs. 5200 lbs on the "F" & "M". Sorry, I could ramble on longer, but my typing can't keep up with my brain.

The Singaporeans stuffed a non-afterburning F404 (F/A-18 engine) into their A-4SU's, I imagine that was quite the rocket ship too.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As a newly commissioned ENS at NASP, waiting for what was then API - the A-4 sims were freely available - located in the sim building across the street from HC-16. I spent hours in there - and what a blast. No visuals. Paper plotter. NATOPS PCL was pretty simple. Fun times. You could simulate a engine start - you needed a buddy to press the START CART button on the sim console.