• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salute this.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you guys think NAS Whatever is bad, go to DLI.

I can't wait to go back...ugh...

Huggy Bear

pilot
Since we are on the subject of salutes...

I see a lot of my fellow O's too lazy to return a salute. Especially going through the gate. Does it really put them out to take the two seconds to put on their cover and return the salute to the gate guard. And since most of us drive SUV-tanks nowadays I know it is not a headroom issue.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The lack of respect down here seems to be contagious. In addition to lack of saluting has anyone else notice that if you are an E-4 and below you dont have to shave at NASP. Every time I go to PSD I see full beards that are neatly trimmed or sideburns that would do Bo Duke proud. It gets old saying things but like others have pointed out if we dont correct it who will.
Before you go dressing people down, if they have a neatly trimmed beard, they might have a no-shave chit. It's more common amongst black servicemembers.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never actually been mistaken for one (since I'm far too young) however all of my Air Force classmates love to point out that when the Ensigns are in their whites... they can't tell the difference between us and one-star admirals. ;)

And OC's look just as similar to them...

So I definatly understand your story!

Yeah, it's tough to tell the difference between the 99% of O-1s with a National Defense medal and an O-7 with a warfare device and a stack of awards...

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
One thing I've seen is a lot of Navy O-1s not saluting AF O-3s here at Corpus. Low SA, not taught to salute higher ranking members of another service, etc? Thoughts/opinions?

sarnav

A no shave chit does not mean groomed to the trend of the week. I know what a no shave chit is:per BUPERS 1000.22b
Action
a. Individuals in a temporary or permanent "no shave" status must
(1) maintain facial hair not to exceed 1/4 inch in length. The beard will not become unkempt in appearance and will not be manicured to any style.

It is just another thing that should be a non issue in the military, and I make sure not to "dress people down" in public. It only takes a minute to pull them aside and see what the issue is.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
One thing I've seen is a lot of Navy O-1s not saluting AF O-3s here at Corpus. Low SA, not taught to salute higher ranking members of another service, etc? Thoughts/opinions?

Maybe not recognizing the "tactical" rank insignia on their shoulders? Depends on where it is... inside the flightline is a no cover zone so don't expect anything in there... Maybe their fear of IPs has subsided and they have recognized that O-3s are JOs like them...

IRfly

None
Since we are on the subject of salutes...

I see a lot of my fellow O's too lazy to return a salute. Especially going through the gate. Does it really put them out to take the two seconds to put on their cover and return the salute to the gate guard. And since most of us drive SUV-tanks nowadays I know it is not a headroom issue.

At OCS we were taught to never salute while operating a motor vehicle. I usually just return the greeting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At OCS we were taught to never salute while operating a motor vehicle. I usually just return the greeting.

Technically, you may salute in a vehicle if it is safe to do so. Covering is optional anyway, so it's not something people should be getting worked up about. I like to wave back and issue a friendly verbal greeting.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

I had a just winged AF 1st Lt try to give me a ration of #$%^ because I didn't salute him in the parking lot down here...I literally laughed in his face and carried on.

Technically speaking I may have been in the wrong but seriously...would anyone else???

I hear you with the O-3 thing though. I have seen the same. I think the key is familiarity...If you don't personally know the other JO then you probably ought to whip it out. I've also heard the rule of 2 bantered about. If you are two paygrades lower....out it comes.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
My boot ass makes a point of having my cover on as I approach the gate for the sole purpose of returning that Marine's salute. It's the least I can do.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My boot ass makes a point of having my cover on as I approach the gate for the sole purpose of returning that Marine's salute. It's the least I can do.

In my opinion...the absolutely correct attitude. BZ

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I had a just winged AF 1st Lt try to give me a ration of #$%^ because I didn't salute him in the parking lot down here...I literally laughed in his face and carried on.

Technically speaking I may have been in the wrong but seriously...would anyone else???

I hear you with the O-3 thing though. I have seen the same. I think the key is familiarity...If you don't personally know the other JO then you probably ought to whip it out. I've also heard the rule of 2 bantered about. If you are two paygrades lower....out it comes.

That's funny. Air force flight training has faips under O-3 who generally get salutes because they're IP's so maybe that's where they get it. Either way, lame. I wasn't a big fan of saluting faips either.