• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sailed off into history, the USS Oriskany in the Gulf of Tonkin.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Cool videos......all the whale footage was pretty neat to see. That thing just doesn't look like it should be operating off the boat :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might need to repost; looks like vBulletin ate the link.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Was she too small for F-4s?
F-4's AND A-6's and VIGI's ... but yet they could and did take WHALE's ... ??? :):confused:

Another one of the great mysteries of Naval Aviation.

The real reason was there was just not enough space for the MX troops = the AT and AQ related spaces and test benches were simply not available on the 27-C's ... the A-6's also had a problem w/ the lack of CAINS INS on the small decks.

You really don't want to land or WAVE VIGI's aboard a 27-C ... that's like practicin' bleedin' ...

We CQ'd A-6's on small decks on a regular basis ... just no 'tweat' type repairs could be performed if the birds RON'd.

jmcquate

Contributor
F-4's AND A-6's and VIGI's ... but yet they could and did take WHALE's ... ??? :):confused:

Another one of the great mysteries of Naval Aviation.

The real reason was there was just not enough space for the MX troops = the AT and AQ related spaces and test benches were simply not available on the 27-C's ... the A-6's also had a problem w/ the lack of CAINS INS on the small decks.

You really don't want to land or WAVE VIGI's aboard a 27-C ... that's like practicin' bleedin' ...

We CQ'd A-6's on small decks on a regular basis ... just no 'tweat' type repairs could be performed if the birds RON'd.

So it was a Hanger Deck, not a Flight Deck issue. Interesting. Was that the reason for no Tomcats on the Midway?

Flugelman

Contributor
Just being a prick here but I hafta stand up for my rate... Its "TWEET", dangit... :icon_tong TWEAT is just too close to TWAT...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So it was a Hanger Deck, not a Flight Deck issue. Interesting. Was that the reason for no Tomcats on the Midway?
No Tom/BombCats on USS MIDWAY ... ??? Whomever tol' you THAT ????

f14tomcatonussmidway.jpg

CAT' could answer this mo' bettah' than I ... but I suspect the extensive support required for the Phoenix system would have been a BIG factor ... ???

PLUS ... you start deck-loading all the 'big bird' squadrons that normally populate a 'big deck' --- and try to squeeze them onto a 27-C --- very soon, you just run out of 'room' wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay before the AirWing is loaded aboard. :)

Just my $20 worth ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh yeah ... I think the size of the JBD's had something to do w/ it as regards F4's and VIGI's ... foggy memory, but I think that was a player.

BASICALLY ... it was just 'too hard' a deck loading for squadrons full of 'big birds'.

Just being a prick here but I hafta stand up for my rate... Its "TWEET", dangit... :icon_tong TWEAT is just too close to TWAT...

Sorry to get off topic but this reminds me of this joke I heard years ago.

A dwarf with a lisp goes into a stud farm, 'I'd like to buy a horth' he says to the owner of the farm.
'What sort of horse?' said the owner.
'A female horth' the dwarf replies. So the owner shows him a mare.
'Nithe horth.' says the dwarf, 'Can I thee her eyeth?'
So the owner picks up the dwarf to show him the horses eyes.
'Nithe eyeth.', says the dwarf, 'Can I thee her teeth?'
Again the owner picks up the dwarf to show him the horses teeth.
Nithe teeth.... Can I see her eerth?' the dwarf says.
The owner is getting fed up but again picks up the dwarf to show him the horses ears.
'Nithe eerth.' He says, 'Now...can I see her twot?'
With this the owner picks the dwarf up by the scruff of his neck and shoves his head deep inside the horse's vagina. He holds him there for a couple of Seconds before pulling him out and putting him down.
The dwarf shakes his head and says:
'Perhaps I should weefwaze that. Can I see her wun awound?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Great find!

Somehow the A-3 looks way too big to be operating from Oriskany. One of the shots from the video was of the Whale being launched. It looked like it had about two plane lengths to get off deck. Crazy for something almost as big as a P-3.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Oh yeah ... I think the size of the JBD's had something to do w/ it as regards F4's and VIGI's ... foggy memory, but I think that was a player.

BASICALLY ... it was just 'too hard' a deck loading for squadrons full of 'big birds'.
Just got it from a co-worker who spent most of his time on USS Midway, they could catch F14's but the JBD's were too small during launch. He says that they did recover two from the Big "E" once and they posted security to keep them from being tagged. Now I don't know anyone who would do something like that. :icon_tong