• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sailed off into history, the USS Oriskany in the Gulf of Tonkin.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just got it from a co-worker who spent most of his time on USS Midway, they could catch F14's but the JBD's were too small during launch. He says that they did recover two from the Big "E" once and they posted security to keep them from being tagged. Now I don't know anyone who would do something like that. :icon_tong
Roger that; I meant F-14's, obviously not F-4's (spastic keyboard, one more time ??? :)) as the MIDWAY had F-4's, big time. I also don't think the MIDWAY ever had any VIGI's for the same reason(s) that they didn't have -14's ... I think the ship always used RF-8's and RF-4's during her WestPac cruises ...

Again, CAT will have the definitive answer, but I think we're 'close' ...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger that; I meant F-14's, obviously not F-4's (spastic keyboard, one more time ??? :)) as the MIDWAY had F-4's, big time. I also don't think the MIDWAY ever had any VIGI's for the same reason(s) that they didn't have -14's ... I think the ship always used RF-8's and RF-4's during her WestPac cruises ...

Again, CAT will have the definitive answer, but I think we're 'close' ...

I can't be too definitive since I left the Midway before she was home ported in Yokosuka, and missed the many late years of her long career.

But I am pretty sure she never had Viggies on board ever. But I did hear the story of the 2 Big E F-14s that trapped aboard her. Regardless that was the only time she trapped an F-14, AFAIK.

I do remember hearing that the JBDs were the limiting factor as you and AE606 said, and I believe true.

We always operated with RF-8s. We even operated with Whales. And when the F-4 retired, the Midway had F/A-18s.

She was an unusual carrier. She was in 4 long years of overhaul in the late '60s, primarily for McNamara's TFX dual service, F-111. They expanded her flight deck from just over 2 acres, to over 4 acres! .... About the same area as today's carriers... except she was/is far shorter. And Top-heavy !