• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian T-50 better than F-22???

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
good point... I can't imagine the damage of one Mig-XX getting through...and getting a lucky shot at a C-17 or C-5.

MiG-21 = fuel emergency when you start the engines. :D

As long as we never allow the bad guys to reap the benefits of bad ROE and have superior training aircraft, we have enemy Mig-21 pilots like these who racked up 16 kills between them (verified by matching US records):

Nguyen Van Coc (6 kills)
Nguyen Doc Soat (5 Kills)
Nguyen Tien Sam (5 kills)

ryan1234

But if I don't know how to recover from a spin at this point without a white line I'd better get out of the game. ;-)
pencil.png

Good point... I better paint one though. Went up to learn the finer points of snaps and the lomcevak - and realized just how badly I could screw it all up in the Pitts - at one point I couldn't tell if the airplane departed and was already in an inverted flat or about to go in one - luckly the Pitts can be recovered from anything (within cg) in two control inputs - which includes forcefully making that stick neutral no matter what (i.e white line).

Very humbling... lots to learn! Now, I know why they put the white line in some airplanes!

yak52driver

Contributor
Good point... I better paint one though. Went up to learn the finer points of snaps and the lomcevak - and realized just how badly I could screw it all up in the Pitts - at one point I couldn't tell if the airplane departed and was already in an inverted flat or about to go in one - luckly the Pitts can be recovered from anything (within cg) in two control inputs - which includes forcefully making that stick neutral no matter what (i.e white line).

Very humbling... lots to learn! Now, I know why they put the white line in some airplanes!

It is humbling. I used to teach upright and inverted flat spins back when I had my S2-B. I always taught the Muller/Beggs technique. Power off, let go of the stick, opposite rudder. In the Pitts didn't matter what type of spin it was, it would recover for emergencies. It doesn't work for every airplane, though, so you do need to know recovery procedures. Good job for taking the time to learn it right.

ryan1234

It is humbling. I used to teach upright and inverted flat spins back when I had my S2-B. I always taught the Muller/Beggs technique. Power off, let go of the stick, opposite rudder. In the Pitts didn't matter what type of spin it was, it would recover for emergencies. It doesn't work for every airplane, though, so you do need to know recovery procedures. Good job for taking the time to learn it right.

Had the unique opportunity to train with a certain two star admiral (ret) who was inducted in the IAC hall of fame. Man, could that guy fly that airplane! I think I learned more from a couple hours with him than I have in aerobatics or even flying in general - let me rephrase that...learned more about what I never knew and need to know! His method was a little different...the "Finigan" method. If it really is an emergency, departure - rather than trying to figure out what's going on, which way, etc just pull the power and forcefully neutralize the stick... wait for the nose down, 100KIAS and pull out. Before we began any advanced aerobatics... he would say close your eyes and do all sorts of crazy stuff... now recover.. his method worked everytime in that airplane no matter what was going on.

His reasoning was that it was easy to cross-over spin by applying too much rudder (and as you know, the Pitts' rudder is super responsive)...and most spins are induced by a person's control movements.

Overall that airplane has a lot to teach me - I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat with the Pitts

sorry for the threadjack guys!

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Wow! What conditions are required for the computer to make that decision?

From what I've heard, a thrown blade while hovering is likely to go through the cockpit (and pilot), so the jet will eject you if it senses an impending blade throw. That's how it's been explained to me, at least.

UF_ME

From what I've heard, a thrown blade while hovering is likely to go through the cockpit (and pilot), so the jet will eject you if it senses an impending blade throw. That's how it's been explained to me, at least.

I have also heard that an undesired roll while hovering will cause the computer to give the pilot the boot

I can imagine that ejection is crazy enought when the pilot pulls the handle but how much crazier would it be if it just happens?

Treetop Flyer

pilot

We are both going on "stuff we heard" but I was under the impression that the auto ejection was for a failure of the lift fan. If the fan/clutch/transmission suddenly failed while in a hover, the remaining thrust from the engine would send you nose down too fast for the pilot to react, hence the auto ejection.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No, im telling you it has 360 degree vectored thrust. The rotation is not horizontal (well maybe for a few degrees in that plane of movement) to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, it's perpendicular although it doesn't say how many degrees of deflection it has.

Vitamin F?? Powdered toast??

Looks more like maybe 15 or 20 degrees in pitch and yaw. (As opposed to the F-22 which only has thrust vectoring wrt pitch.) If it had 360 degree vectoring capability it would be able to point it's thrust towards the nose (180 out).

Oh and now for your daily culture lesson:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks more like maybe 15 or 20 degrees in pitch and yaw. (As opposed to the F-22 which only has thrust vectoring wrt pitch.) If it had 360 degree vectoring capability it would be able to point it's thrust towards the nose (180 out).
No, he meant 360 degrees AROUND THE NOZZLE as opposed to, say, the F-22, whose nozzles only go up or down, not sideways.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm glad someone translated. Does that mean my flaperons have 180-deg of authority?

....they go up....AND down...ooooh

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm glad someone translated. Does that mean my flaperons have 180-deg of authority?

....they go up....AND down...ooooh

Probably more like 56.8 or some useless number (up some of the way, down some of the way), plus or minus something... oh great, something else to add to Chapter 2, Chapter 4, and memorization. :)