• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Russia building barracks at Syrian airport

jmcquate

Contributor
The deconfliction issue is interesting. I doubt that there is any hostile air to worry about, so no blue on blue (I know.......sounded weird with the players involved to me too). I'm assuming that there will be none or very limited sharing of ATOs. I guessing they're carving up geographical zones of operation with secure ingress and egress routes.....so no Sukios and Hornets running afoul of each other, but a lot of passive ELINT.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...but a lot of passive ELINT.

afewgoodmenjack2.jpg

Is there any other kind? :D

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Read some things in the last couple days suggesting that Russia was looking to "redeem themselves" vis-à-vis the West WRT Syria. Not sure I buy that, but if they could facilitate some kind of quasi-peaceful transition of power by putting pressure on Assad to slink away quietly during the night, that may be a fruitful line of effort that avoids the complete collapse of the Syrian government. Maybe we could give Assad the Falklands... or Madagascar.

Russia? Putin? Redeem themselves in the eyes of the West? Uh, no - Putin is not looking for that infamous reset button - unless by reset you mean trying to expand back to the borders of the Soviet Union and re-anchor on geographical defensible positions.

NPR was reporting today that not only was Russian attack aircraft and armor moving into Syria to support Assad, but Russia was also giving passports to some of its Islamic citizens that want to go fight for ISIS and then revoking their citizenship to get them out of his country. Putin channeling his inner Machiavelli.

The situation in Syria is akin to playing RISK against 7 other competitors.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
No it's not, but I'm curious as to why you think it will... other than residual Cold War testosterone? Russian and coalition aircraft are going to avoid each other like the plague - just like we've been doing with Iranian and Syrian aircraft.
OK you're probably right :) The adults are talking deconfliction - I get it. Putin is now in the East Med bare chested on a camel, Assad is wiping out his own people - my head goes back to the Band of Brothers episode "why we fight". Emotional vs analytical response. I definitely did not graduate from the Kennedy School.

jmcquate

Contributor
Well I'm more than a little skeptical of a sat image, near real time, posted on a website of a Syrian air base with SU-30s chocked at the thresh hold...........just say-en.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Well I'm more than a little skeptical of a sat image, near real time, posted on a website of a Syrian air base with SU-30s chocked at the thresh hold...........just say-en.

Seeing as that jives with what info has been coming out from US officials, and the fact that the SU-30s were originally reported by British intelligence analysts using US commercial satellite data I would be fairly confident that it's true. Even if the image itself is faked the aircraft line up with other intel from the region.