• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running sucks

Falker

Not Air Force
I am a candidate shipping off to Quantico July 9th, and my OSO will not send me if I have over a 24 minute run. I am right around there, but I NEED to get it down around 21 22. I can do 20 pullups and 100 sit ups easily, but the run is my Achilles heel. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

saltpeter

Yes I have a simple solution. Monday - Run; Tuesdday - Run; Wednesday - Run; Thursday - Run; Friday - Run; Saturday - Run; Sunday - Rest: Then Repeat.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
saltpeter said:
Yes I have a simple solution. Monday - Run; Tuesdday - Run; Wednesday - Run; Thursday - Run; Friday - Run; Saturday - Run; Sunday - Rest: Then Repeat.

So let me get this straight.... To decrease your running time, you must run? I don't get it...

edit: I'm gonna blame it on the booze =)

helosusmc

West Texas Skid Trash
Falker,

Okay, a little less sarcastic of a response. Running is not my strong point either and never has been. The way I train my body to run a decent pft time is always running over the 3 mile limit. I usually go about 3.5-5 miles when I run. The more you do it, the easier it will be and your wind will be fine for the 3 miles. To increase your speed, I'd run fartlek stuff. Go lightpost to lightpost alternating between a light jog and a sprint. I usually only do that for a mile or mile and a half, but obviously the longer you can do it, the better shape you'll be in. The fact of the matter is though, you HAVE to run 4 or 5 days a week to really prepare yourself for Marine OCS. Running does suck, but just think about the gun club you'll get a chance to be a part of if you make it. Good luck.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
HighDimension said:
So let me get this straight.... To increase your running time, you must run? I don't get it...

Actually, most people run to DECREASE their run times. Increasing run times is relatively easy to accomplish.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Falker, I headed to Quantico last Summer in a position very similar to your own. Being 6'4, 215 lbs, running had never been my strong point. My 2 month pre-ship run time was somewhere around 25 minutes, and my overall PFT score was salvaged only by good pullup and crunches... I was also prone to getting shin splints, and had to structure my workout program accordingly. What I ended up doing was alternating daily workouts with running and some type of cross-training. Monday I would run 5-7 miles, Tuesday I'd bike, Wednesday intervals, Thursday swim, etc, etc. This got my cardio level up pretty quick and allowed me to leave somewhere around 23 minutes. Don't do the same run every day... throw in some hill runs, beach (sand) runs, and mix up the distances. Running the same route day in-day out will make you hate it even more. OCS does wonders for your running ability, as you will see. You'll probably realize before you leave that its in many ways more mental than physical. Over the course of three miles, a minute is only 20 seconds per... think of it that way, and push through. It is worth it, despite the obvious suck factor. Who knows, you may end up like I did and start to enjoy it. Good luck with the prepping.

OCS does wonders for both the mental and physical aspect... I dropped 3 more minutes, and saw some guys report running 25 that graduated at 19...

Prefontaine

Do interval training. Running long will get your endurance up, which is good, esp for the three mile you're required to do, but in order to run fast, you have to train fast. Try something like this:

Sunday-rest
Monday-5 miles
Tuesday-interval workout: 5-8 repeat 400m (one lap). If you're running around 24 now and want to get to 21, train at a pace faster than 7 minute miles. Roughly 90-100 seconds per 400m should be good to start.
Wednesday-recover from speed. 3 miles easy
Thursday- 5 miles
Friday-interval workout: 300 400 600 800 1200 200. Thats just an example. You can do Tuesday's workout or do any sort of interval training you want. Just get to the track and run fast. Run around 85-90% effort on these.
Saturday- recover with an easy 4+ miles, depending on how you feel.

I'm not sure how much running you're doing now, so that might be too much depending upon that. If you're only a few weeks away from your time trial, do interval training as much as you can...if you're a few months away, build your endurance base (aka run mostly distance) with no more than one interval session per week. If you push yourself hard and do a variety of training methods, including speed work, you will get faster and will easy run a 21min 3mile.

Raptor2216

I used to hate running before I became a candidate and now a Marine. We had to do run one mile a week during grade 9 and 10 in high school. I used to dread that run but I always did just fine...definately hated it though. Now, I can go and run 6-7 miles in an hour and still be ready for the day. Running just a few times a week is enough to really build your PFT. Once you build it up, it isn't as hard to get back into it after a "dormant" period. When it gets down to it, it really is mental because running each mile 20 seconds faster is really nothing. Building your running strength really is as simple as "run and repeat".

phattygixxer

I used to hate running more than any thing I could imagine, because I'd always get shin splints no matter what. I read a book, Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman and changed three things: I changed my shoe-lace tying from super super hardcore tight to loose but snug, I got 4E width shoes because my feet are really wide which I never knew before, and I ran at a slower easier pace, like 9-10 minute miles, until I got used to it (and built a good base over many months, which actually made running super enjoyable).

Now, you're going to OCS this summer, as am I, so I would say just gradually increase your mileage without giving yourself shin splints/stress fracture and get your mileage as high as you can before this summer.

S/F

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Just over two months seems like a long time, but be careful not to overtrain. I know the temptation is there as the report date nears to go crazy on the PT.

Remember, it'd be much worse to show up hurt than show up healthy and rested with a 23:30 3 mile.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check this out: Link

One of my old squadronmates doing an IA in Iraq. This guy was also the syrup chugging champion of the squadron (a la Supertroopers).

Brett

ip568

None
Sadly, only running -- with appropriate rest days -- decreases your run time. And worse, running sucks and never gets better. It is simply ongoing misery. There is no "runner's high" -- that is just another lie from the sneaker companies. I grit my teeth through AOCS and then 21 years of semi-annual PFTs and it never got better, just worse and more painful. My last PFT before I retired the fracking ambulence followed me on the run -- a real morale booster (at 49 I was the oldest guy running).

For many , running is simply an ongoing nightmare you have to endure to get and keep those Wings of Gold. Any you know what? It's worth it.