• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running sucks

Crowbar

None
ip568 said:
For many , running is simply an ongoing nightmare you have to endure to get and keep those Wings of Gold.

And for others, running is an escape from the ongoing nightmare...

ip568 said:
And worse, running sucks and never gets better. It is simply ongoing misery.

See, I used to hate running, when I was forced to do it all the time. Then once that went away I realized I love it. I'm not talking about PT. PT and running are two completely different animals. I hate PT with every fiber of my being. But I love to run.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I agree with that Crowbar. I hate the running portion of the PFT because I have to run it as hard as I can and I feel like I suck at it. But to go out for a nice long run at a slightly slower pace is actually enjoyable (but a year ago I would have hated that too)

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I know of a very effective training method that will get your run time down to 18:00 in a very short period of time, I call it the COPS method.

Walk into a bank, politely tell the cashier to give you all mother fukkin money, then run.. your ass off... or say helllooooooooooo CHINO!

Lawman

None
Slammer2 said:
I agree with that Crowbar. I hate the running portion of the PFT because I have to run it as hard as I can and I feel like I suck at it. But to go out for a nice long run at a slightly slower pace is actually enjoyable (but a year ago I would have hated that too)

One year ago, sitting outside the OSO, wondering where the hell the captain was, *****ing to eachother about how much we suck and hate running...... Yeah I remember that day.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
whitesoxnation said:
I know of a very effective training method that will get your run time down to 18:00 in a very short period of time, I call it the COPS method.

Walk into a bank, politely tell the cashier to give you all mother fukkin money, then run.. your ass off... or say helllooooooooooo CHINO!

I feel less intelligent after reading that.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Something a guy I went to school with did was run half miles for a total of 3-4 miles. The 800m is the most miserable run in existence if you work at it correctly. He really dropped his times and ended up getting picked up for the SEAL teams, so take that for what you will. My old basketball coach also used to do ladders when he was a redshirt freshman in college--he'd start with a mile, then two 800s, 4 400s, 8 200s, 16 100s, then come back up. He said he could run forever after he got good at that, and was fast too.

Also check out these books: The Runner's Handbook. Excellent beginner's reference and has several very basic but effective training schedules. Bob Glover writes a training program for everyone who enters the NY Marathon, and of the people who follow his guidelines, 95% finish the race. Also check out The Competitive Runner's Handbook.

A couple other books I've enjoyed are Body, Mind, and Sport, which takes a different tack on working out than a lot of things do (ayurvedic medicine), and is written by a guy who used to finish in the top 5 in Ironman Triathalons. ChiRunning is written by an ultramarathoner who has won races in his age class. His whole thing is form focus and learning how to run the way we did when we were kids.

Last but not least, my favorite is The Zen of Running by Fred Rohe. Written back in the 70s, but I just like reading it--kinda cuts away a lot of the scientific bull and just says, GO RUN.

Also check out the CrossFit website--not as much running but it'll get you where you want to be.

I agree with a few people here but only to a point. Running sucks while you're bad at it. When you get good and start feeling good, there are very few things that are better. Start slow, take it easy, and mix it up. Go run with a much faster friend 1-2 times a week. Play around with it and see what works. Run fartleks (Swedish for speedplay--run fast for a block, slow for a block, etc.), hills, sprints, much longer distance than you're used to, etc.

Okay, enough procrastination for me...

Hope this helps.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Lawman said:
One year ago, sitting outside the OSO, wondering where the hell the captain was, *****ing to eachother about how much we suck and hate running...... Yeah I remember that day.

haha yeah...I recall getting yelled at about how much we suck by SSgt. Im-Bigger-Than-You. Good times.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
kratebike said:
I would take the advice from someone who's screen name is "prefontaine"

Can't always tell from the screen name, apparently you haven't seen the myriad high school or college kids who have screen names that are like:

"Jetpilot" "Helicopterpilot" "pilotpilot" "Imapilot" "<-pilot" "airforceofficer", etc... ad nauseum.

or my favorite:
"[I'm-not-qualified-to-give-any-advice-on-this-subject-or-any-military-subject,-but-here-is -my-two-cents-anyway.-I-heard-it-from-a-guy-who-read-a-book-or-something]"

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
HueyCobra8151 said:
or my favorite:
"[I'm-not-qualified-to-give-any-advice-on-this-subject-or-any-military-subject,-but-here-is -my-two-cents-anyway.-I-heard-it-from-a-guy-who-read-a-book-or-something]"

Somebody call me?