• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rough start in school x2 (girl trouble x2) and arrest record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I had a speeding ticket that was removed from my record by traffic school. However, I was advised to put it down on everything and just make a note that it was no longer on my record due to traffic school. So I did.

Not even close in magnitude but similar in situation. Good luck, be honest.

USNMark

You won't know until you try. Don't give up just because it may sound like you won't have a chance--I wouldn't be where I am today if I listened to that. Keep us posted.

boosteds13

Have you ever been on anti-depressants? Taken meds for ADD/ADHD? Used Coke, X, LSD, Heroine? Anything other than pot. Had asthma? There is a long list of things that will keep you out and I am trying to save you the heartache of false hopes.

Nope, I've never had medical problems or illegal use of drugs. I just have traffic violations. The thing is that my record will be expunged but I know that they can still track it down. I just don't know whether I should put my time for this or not.

navy09

None
My probation officer informed me that my record will be expunged when I successfully complete the program. According to him, even the FBI won't be able to know.

You might want to consult a lawyer about that. I'd guess that's not true, especially given the nature of the crime.

boosteds13

The thing is I have been charged with a felony but not convicted of the felony which means that I have no felony convictions. Now I know that the truth needs to be admitted to keep my moral values and integrity however, I have heard many people say and I even heard from the recruiters that "you cannot become a military officer in any branch if you have a felony on your record". When they say "felony on your record", do they mean a felony conviction or a felony charge? I am so confused!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The thing is I have been charged with a felony ...I am so confused!

Don't worry ... be happy.

Hint: you are toast. Seek other employment.

Sorry ... but that's probably the whole truth, and nuthin' but ... but just to satisfy yourself -- apply anyway.

They can only say: "NO".

At the end of the day .. what CAN they do to you?? Send you to war ???

Good luck.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
My probation officer informed me that my record will be expunged when I successfully complete the program. According to him, even the FBI won't be able to know.

One thing they tell us MMA guys when we're applying for our Coast Guard Licenses is that a record can never really be "expunged." While local law enforcement types may not be able to see any convictions/etc on your record, any government entity that researches you can, this includes, to my knowledge, all DOD, and all DHS organizations.

Good Luck

navy09

None
When they say "felony on your record", do they mean a felony conviction or a felony charge? I am so confused!

It varies state to state and depends on the crime. That's why I recommended that you speak with an attorney.

I believe that usually, if it's expunged, you can honestly say 'no' when asked if you've ever been convicted. But the notion that no one will be able to see it is probably BS, especially if you're talking about the military and law enforcement. There's most likely still a record of all this happening though (arrest, charges, dismissal/expungement).

Purely our of curiosity...you definitely don't have to answer (or you can PM me if you want), but how many times did you bolt from a cop on your bike prior to this time that they caught you? I seriously doubt it was your first time...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The thing is I have been charged with a felony but not convicted of the felony which means that I have no felony convictions. Now I know that the truth needs to be admitted to keep my moral values and integrity however, I have heard many people say and I even heard from the recruiters that "you cannot become a military officer in any branch if you have a felony on your record". When they say "felony on your record", do they mean a felony conviction or a felony charge? I am so confused!

Innocent until proven guilty, 'on your record' generally means convicted. Explain everything on your applications and it may be good, but you still never know until you apply, just like A4s said.

And if you hide it, all bets are off. They will find it and if you don't say anything, you are done at that point.

boosteds13

Purely our of curiosity...you definitely don't have to answer (or you can PM me if you want), but how many times did you bolt from a cop on your bike prior to this time that they caught you? I seriously doubt it was your first time...

It was my first time and only. I have a couple of traffic violations also. What can I say, I just like to go fast but I got rid of the bike and taking a bus to school :D I know it sucks but I just got to do it.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
It was my first time and only. I have a couple of traffic violations also.

Hey man, just lay it all out there. I would be more worried if I was selecting an applicant who has never done anything wrong in his/her life.

Lay it all out there, say how you learned from it and how it made you a better person. The people who sit at the boards are not idiots and they were young once too. They know that how you come back from a set back is what defines you.

If it doesn't work out, at least you still have your integrity. That goes a long way.

navy09

None
What can I say, I just like to go fast

I hear you, I have a few speeding tickets too.

Where you lose me is the 'leading police on a dangerous chase' part. I don't see how a board is going to look at that and say, "Gee, that's the kind of guy we want leading our sailors and flying our $30 million planes!"

Alas, I don't sit on boards. The worst they can say is 'no.'

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I would be more worried if I was selecting an applicant who has never done anything wrong in his/her life.

what?!?! are you serious? LOL. :confused:

guess I'm going into the wrong business then! i've never even had a drink!:eek:

guess i need to step it up and do a couple things wrong and catch up to you people ;) :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.