• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rotary Wing Roundup (Helos at work in Maritime Environment)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
torpedo.jpg

110517-N-WL717-008 GULF OF THAILAND (May 17, 2011) An SH-60B Sea Hawk helicopter from Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 43, Detachment 2, releases a recoverable exercise torpedo during a training scenario conducted for Cooperation Afloat and Readiness Training (CARAT) Thailand 2011. CARAT is a series of bilateral exercises held annually in Southeast Asia to strengthen relationships and enhance force readiness. (U.S. Navy photo by Ensign Lily Daniels/Released)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Were they showing Thailand exactly how not to drop a torpedo?

I know, I know, it's for the camera.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I stand corrected. Apparently there's some sort of pub that covers this stuff. Who knew? My excuse is I haven't actually cared about launching torps in a while. I'm guessing by the rotor diameter, they're just inside the envelope to drop.

Regardless, they're probably doing everything by the book because they had to do a 9 hour brief in the wardroom with the captain so they could get the photo op.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So for them of us what ain't helo bubbas... What are they doing wrong/less-than-right in that pic?

H60Gunner

Contributor
They are in a hover. A B has no need to hover during ASW, the F has a dipping SONAR and has the software to compute attacks and drop torps in a hover while dipping.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So for them of us what ain't helo bubbas... What are they doing wrong/less-than-right in that pic?

What gunner said. I thought, years ago, I read you "couldn't" drop in a hover in a B. Turns out you can (what I read in the pub today) with some limitations. There's no tactical reason to do it, but it's not "wrong." The Fox (and I'm guessing the Romeo) has a different attack pattern they program into the torp that takes the hover drop into account.

Mea culpa. It still looks a little silly, but I'm 99% sure it's so they could get the photo op.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Weird. I always assumed all helo attacks were from a hover...learn something new everyday.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Weird. I always assumed all helo attacks were from a hover...learn something new everyday.
You guys really don't so a lot of ASW any more, go you? Especially coordinated ops ASW? It was common knowledge in my day. LAMPS = no hover drop. Dippers = hover drop.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I certainly can't speak for ASW, but in pretty much any other realm, helo will not be doing any sort of "attack" from a hover. It presents an easy target, puts us into a high-power-required and vulnerable state and generally isn't a very tactically smart idea, for most (if not all?) tactical situations I can think of.... the time we have to be in a hover (terminal area SOF fastrope, PR hoist recovery etc) are all briefed to PAINSTAKING detail as they are the most dangerous and vulnerable portions of the flight.

KBayDog

I certainly can't speak for ASW, but in pretty much any other realm, helo will not be doing any sort of "attack" from a hover.

Pretty bold statement.

I've worked with countless Skid dudes over the years, yet I cannot/will not try to speak for their community's business. I simply do not know enough about attack helicopter operations to make an educated statement about how they employ their Forward. Firing. Ordnance.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Pretty bold statement.

I've worked with countless Skid dudes over the years, yet I cannot/will not try to speak for their community's business. I simply do not know enough about attack helicopter operations to make an educated statement about how they employ their Forward. Firing. Ordnance.

And I'm not speaking for RW assets with FFWs, either. I have access to skid TTPs, but I can't say I ever read any chapters on FFW tactics.... or any of those pubs, for that matter. What I can say is what I said (about Navy helos), that being in a hover (without very good offensive weapons) puts you in a highlighted vulnerable state. NO need to read between the lines and make assumptions about what I'm "saying". THAT is it.