• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Romeos Vs. Sierras

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The ESG isn't used very much and seems to have fallen out of favor. I did three patrols with an ARG and we only operated as part of the ESG once for a short period.

Any ideas why?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Any ideas why?
No clue. I just remember reading on CDR Salamander that the ESG no longer the new hotness. The ARG I was part of still had an ESG as an ISIC, not sure if the other ARGs still do as well. I could hazard it guess it might have had something to do with available CRUDES to make up the ESG but that's nothing more than pure speculation.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Pags, the ARG I was onboard embarked the admiral this last float and called it an ESG since he was onboard. No US CRUDES around. Not sure the reasoning behind it besides "Flag onboard".

kookylukey

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any updated info on the Romeo vs sierra saga. The two most recent threads on here about it seem to both be from 2015.

The sentiment today seems to be the same as it was in this thread 9 years ago about “go Romeos” “Romeos are the ones in charge”, but then every sierra guy I talk to says they wouldn’t trade their sierra time for Romeo time, but still recommend to go Romeos.

I know “sierras are having an identity crisis” and “Romeos have a more defined mission set”, but are Romeos getting crazy more hours than sierras or is this recommendation coming more from you’ll be doing more of what you’re training to do/better for career?

For context, currently waiting in advanced pool so can’t talk to too many HT IPs (I will when I get to that point) just yet and while I’m waiting to class up may as well try and get as many perspectives as possible.

MGoBrew11

pilot
It’s not so much you’ll get more or fewer hours in a specific community (you’ll probably get about the same either way), but whether the mission you’re doing is fulfilling and what the long term community outlook is. And in that regard, go for HSM.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
^^what he said (obviously not a helo guy, but have worked with plenty of folks from both communities). HSC (Sierras) is a community without a codified long-term plan. Romeos are the way to go.
I have to ask about that…are HSC commanders (and those promoted beyond) just plain ignorant or angry they didn’t get a pony for Christmas? I mean HSC should be in mission heaven right now but they seriously appear adrift at times. From an outside perspective it just seems crazy to me.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I have to ask about that…are HSC commanders (and those promoted beyond) just plain ignorant or angry they didn’t get a pony for Christmas? I mean HSC should be in mission heaven right now but they seriously appear adrift at times. From an outside perspective it just seems crazy to me.
Also from an outsiders perspective since I was HSM, but from what I’ve gathered from friends: their past leadership focused too much on missions they ultimately were unlikely to get on a consistent basis. With all their eggs in the SOF/CASEVAC basket, they were never “needed” in the same way that HSM was for their organic ASW contribution. When you consider HSM can do the same SUW as HSC and also do SAR….what’re we doing here? It should have been a F/H construct from the get go but that was probably squashed as a command opportunity thing. So here we are. I think it is notable that when a CSG got the call for the Houthis it was the HSM asset that was used.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I was an HS JO and defected to HSM (by choice) for my DH tour. I loved every minute of HSM and wouldn't have gone any other way, BUT... I'm gonna call BS on the above posts.

NO ONE on this board can tell you which community is right for you. The best we can do is give unbiased approximations of a day in the life of each platform.

Romeos get used a lot, but still not as much as they should. It's a nerd game. If you don't want to geek out on radar, ESM, and acoustics, please don't apply.

Sierras on the other hand do a lot of good ol'fashioned, blue-collar helo work, and that's awesome. If stick-and-rudder work is your bag, nothing's more fun than VERTREP and TERF.
EDIT: HSC pilots also get to shoot guns from the cockpit.

Of course, Romeos occasionally VERTREP and pretend to TERF, and Sierra pilots can geek out on layered/robust comms, etc.

You really can't guess coming out of the HTs which community will PCS you where you want to live or promote you to rank X. Choose the mission and nature of flying you think best fits your personality.

MGoBrew11

pilot
^that’s all true, but if he’s asking becasue he wants to know which community has the better outlook and generally is perceived as the better place to be, then I think we’re all in agreement.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
HSC guy.

I assure you I have done plenty of very fulfilling operational stuff. Ward Carroll never made a youtube video about me, but I'll survive.
I've also done a lot of mail delivery. It's an honest living. I really enjoy it.
I have done lots of training for a mission I have never done (CSAR). I really, really hope it stays that way.

Pay attention to @IKE. His post is good gouge. Except the part where he said HSM occasionally VERTREP. Describing whatever it is HSM does with external loads is insulting to even Cat I HSC FRS students on their first rocks and blocks flight.

hscs

pilot
. I think it is notable that when a CSG got the call for the Houthis it was the HSM asset that was used
Not sure that it is a who is better call, but who is in the area to handle. Naturally, an HSM bird would be more likely to be able to investigate based on location.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Not sure that it is a who is better call, but who is in the area to handle. Naturally, an HSM bird would be more likely to be able to investigate based on location.
Didn’t say HSM was “better” or the crews more capable…the sensors make it a more capable platform to investigate in the first place.