• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Role of Navy in Iraq: IA

Should IA be part of the Navy's future?

• Yes

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 54.9%

• Total voters

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I was told, in no uncertain terms, that if I stayed in the reserves that I would be deployed (Iraq or Afghanistan) and fill a back line staff job. I don't think any of our guys are kicking down doors. The Navy personnel that are on the ground are freeing up the tedious office jobs so the grunts can kick down doors and get some rest.

Relative to the poll: I don't think it's the Navy's primary mission, but I think we should help out when we can.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Can anyone provide any evidence that a Navy officer in Iraq or Afghanistan is kicking doors down? and to add that without proper training?

So I guess that Sailors or Airmen who are a mechanics aren't qualified to goto Iraq because they are in a different service which has a different mission?

Yet they would be in a logistical unit that provides the same type of support to the Army or Marines...as they would in the Navy?

...and they have the same or similar MOS as their Army or Marine counter-parts?

Yes, actually a guy just returned from my unit who did just that. He wasn't the point man, mind you, but he did help clear houses. Most of our IAs have been staff work, but he was attached to special forces and went where they went. We just sent another guy to be a civil affairs officer in Iraq. He will be a company XO and has done nothing with his time in the military other than train as a flight student.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can anyone provide any evidence that a Navy officer in Iraq or Afghanistan is kicking doors down? and to add that without proper training?

So I guess that Sailors or Airmen who are a mechanics aren't qualified to goto Iraq because they are in a different service which has a different mission?

Yet they would be in a logistical unit that provides the same type of support to the Army or Marines...as they would in the Navy?

...and they have the same or similar MOS as their Army or Marine counter-parts?

Do you want his freaking e-mail? Or how about the pictures of the aftermath of an RPG that hit the Humvee directly in front of him (and kept his ears ringing for 3 days straight). If you want to know what his training was, he spent a couple of weeks at Ft Jackson before heading out. Compare that with the 2 years of flight school.

MrSaturn

Contributor

Short answer is yes but they receive training. I can provide 2 examples of DOR/Attrites who did, one who was wounded by RPG fire. PM me for more details for the term paper or book you must be writing.

MasterBates

The IA I almost went on was 2 weeks of training in Ft Jackson, 1-2 weeks in Fort Someplace (forget the place), and then to the 'box for 11 months.

The guy who went is riding in Humvees, and has been a lot closer than he thought he would have been to IEDs. He was supposed to be a desk weenie, but the Army CAPT that was there was wounded, and he is now doing his job.

I wanted to get in the fight when I volunteered for it. But that being said, 3 weeks of "crash course in Army training" is probably not the smartest thing to give a guy for training, when VERY little of his previous training is of any use there.

Marines would do better, I imagine, but they had 6 months of TBS. Squad tactics, grid coordinates, using a rifle, are NOT something that 90% of the guys in my squadron (me included) had a CLUE on.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Do they ever send ensigns waiting in A-pool? Would that damage a career?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow! But upon reflection WoW

Wouldn't be the first or last time I wowed a Chief.........Chief. If I were you, I wouldn't read to much into it and take it as a sarcastic tone meant for one individual.

Talking with Stucon at the wing, an IA request for a platoon leader in Iraq just came up. Take it with a grain of salt, I didn't read it so it's second info.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Talking with Stucon at the wing, an IA request for a platoon leader in Iraq just came up. Take it with a grain of salt, I didn't read it so it's second info.

So would this be a negative or positive career wise for a SNA/SNFO?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chief, I don't think Bunk was knocking enlisted or NCOs. I think he thought the guy was a wanna-be or officer candidate with no military experience.
Seriously, does it really matter what the experience level of the individual is? We're not talking about someone giving out information claimed to be as fact (which isn't true) or who is advising other people on something that have no business advising them on. This thread is a discussion regarding IA's. Anybody should feel free to make comments without being personally attacked for not being a commissioned officer, or for not having enough or any military experience at all for that matter.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Seriously, does it really matter what the experience level of the individual is? We're not talking about someone giving out information claimed to be as fact (which isn't true) or who is advising other people on something that have no business advising them on. This thread is a discussion regarding IA's. Anybody should feel free to make comments without being personally attacked for not being a commissioned officer, or for not having enough or any military experience at all for that matter.

Hey, what comes around goes around. He called into question why he joined, I called into question his experience. It wasn't a very porsonal attack either. He wants to be an aviator, grow some thick skin.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
...But the poll asks "Should IA be a part of the Navy's future?". To this I would have to say no. The IA system seems like a short term fix to a long term problem. I would hope that the future manning of the military is better matched to the demands being placed on it.

I would have to disagree on this one. I think the IA program will be around for a looong time to come.
Reason? Navy Enterprise, costwise readiness, etc, etc. It all boils down to doing more with less. Are the billets that the IA's filled being filled by others? No, they are just being "held" until that person gets back. Their command loses a person, but the mission still gets done because others fill the void. In the meantime, the Army or whoever gains a body that they didn't have before. It is like magic. You increase the "size" of the force without actually having to recruit and pay for more people, ask congress for permission, and create another huge political debate.
In the meantime, a few individuals get to suffer and sweat it out, but who cares, right? (note: sarcasm intended, do not take offense).
Pure genius. I wish I was smart enough to think of it, but instead I am staring down the barrel just like every other LT.
As long as we are forward deployed in the middle east (for the forseeable future, even if the Dems get their way), I predict we will have to deal with IA's.

Do you want his freaking e-mail? Or how about the pictures of the aftermath of an RPG that hit the Humvee directly in front of him (and kept his ears ringing for 3 days straight). If you want to know what his training was, he spent a couple of weeks at Ft Jackson before heading out. Compare that with the 2 years of flight school.

Chill out. I was asking a question about whether or not they were prepared to goto Iraq. In addition to whether or not they were operating in the same MOS.

questions answered, and no, I am no writing a book...just curious.