• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Role of Navy in Iraq: IA

Should IA be part of the Navy's future?

• Yes

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 54.9%

• Total voters

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Navy was created to kick the British out of America...

I thought it was so we could keep getting booze from the triangle. Four ships versus the British Navy...talk about Yankee ingenuity.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Roll" vs "role"

haha, glad you caught that... i changed it right before you posted. nice catch. ;)

Don't look now, the thread title is still wrong. Regardless, the Roles and Missions of the Navy are set forth in USC Title 10 and do include responding to needs of the Combatant Commanders. The services "organize, train and equip" forces for use by the "Joint" Combatant Commanders who request them via RFF "Request for Forces" so you're missing who is actually asking for support in the first place. And the Combatant Commander responsible for CENTCOM AOR is a Navy Admiral. So I suggest you bone up on how services and COCOMs interact as you are putting the focus of who you think is subverting the Navy's "role" in supporting IA billets.

That said, you need to look at where Navy personnel are being used in the AOR in question. You are supposing we are a Blue Water Navy when that is only one of several "Navys" that the CNO is "organizing, training and equipping". The Brown and Green water Navys are in full swing these days and there is a Naval Expeditionary Combat "Type Commander" charged with echelon III responsibilities including several RIVRON Brown Water Navy boat units as well as Coastal Warfare units. Seabees and Security Forces go hand in hand with supporting the Marine Forces you seem to want to leave alone ashore and the SEALs and their supporting speciailities like EOD and SWCC go as deep as they do and any other ground forces when and if warranted. And Naval Aviation goes along to support all of the above. P-3C AIP aircraft went deep inland in OEF and continue to do so as well as many other platfroms. These IA billets you think are usurping the traditional Naval role are there to help coordinate and provide C2 just to name a few critical "roles" that Naval forces need Naval personnel supporting.

In any event, it's a Joint world and it's intended to be that way every since Goldwater-Nichols came into being and remapped how services and their roles and missions interact with the Combatant Commanders. So if you want to take the stance that this is a subject for NROTC or your Ready Room, you need to check the very laws that are in force that make IA billets another aspect of supporting the needs of the Joint Warfare Commanders. To take another tack, if you think the Navy should stand by and avoid IA billets because it's not a traditional role, you might not see much of a Navy on the other side. The National Guard is being called up on a regular basis and Reserves used liek never before. Get used to it. Congress was dead set on reaping a peace dividend after the first Gulf War and collapse of the Soviet Union. GWOT was thrust upon us as the services were being denuded and not needed at their full Cold War strength. The front line units can't handle the demands of GWOT without assistance of the Guard and Reserves and Naval forces of all kinds are in the fight regardless of the color of the water and ashore as well.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Nice hostility. You seem like a very likable and stable person.

But I digress. It's a very complex argument. Similar to the "living Constitution" one. The Navy was created to to maintain, train and equip Naval forces capable deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas. Just because our current administration believes otherwise, is that enough to change our fundamental heritage? Could it be that we are stretching so thin and just grasping at whatever manpower we can find? Maybe. That's the point of the poll. I'm interested to know what you think. Not just interested in your hostile bashing. But hey, if you can't formulate thoughts on your own...go ahead and slam.

Did you swear an oath to maintain, train, and equip Naval forces, or to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic?

If you don't think fighting a war we are currently in is an appropriate use of your time as a commissioned officer; I have nothing but pity for you.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Did you swear an oath to maintain, train, and equip Naval forces, or to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic?

If you don't think fighting a war we are currently in is an appropriate use of your time as a commissioned officer; I have nothing but pity for you.

If that's what you got out of my post, mmx...then frankly, you're a moron.

I obviously pledged to support and defend the Constitution. It's not like I'm organizing a mutiny or refusing to serve! I'm just expressing an opinion on the Navy's role in IA. I follow legal orders. An order to IA is legal, so therefore if I received it, I'd comply. I am, however, and American citizen as well, and DO have opinions. Those opinions would never stand in the way of my duty as an Officer in the Navy.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For what it is worth, I do not think the presence of Navy folks on IA's has anything to do with our "culture" for lack of a better term, but instead has everything to do with being a convenient solution to two different problems (the over-extension of the Army and a potential perceived lack of contribution of the Navy).

Yep. What does every 2 or 3 star Admiral want? The next star. I'm one of those who absolutely disgree with sending sailors IA, specifically as soldiers. We joined the Navy for a reason, to be sailors with it forking out with specifics from there. Why have seperate forces in this case? Just have one military force where everyone rotates through, that way we can be sailors, airmen, soldiers, etc. I see squadrons undermanned, guys/gals overworked but IA requests/demands come out weekly. The military is all about joint ops today. I did an IA back in 00. Slept in Army barracks with all types of military folks, from E-1's to O-6's. Fun stuff........really :confused:

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Don't look now, the thread title is still wrong. .

I changed it in my 1st post... but for some reason it won't let me alter the title.

Also, to whoever added that last part of my poll (the 3rd option)... I don't really find that fair. Feel free to start your own poll, or don't answer mine at all... but have the courtesy to let me post my poll as I see fit.

Mods, please fix... thanks.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Your opinino might mean something if it were coming from a commissioned officer.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
According to his bio, he is between OCS and TBS, which would make him a commissioned Officer.:confused:

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
TBS graduate, actually.

I can understand an argument that it detracts from the health of the Navy or its readiness to perform its assigned roles. There's some of that sentiment within the Marine Corps about losing essential skillsets. I wouldn't even have a problem with him whining about IA. I've read all the IA threads and didn't jump on people unhappy with getting IA'd - I'm sympathetic to their personal hardship.

How the OP phrased it, however, is that if something doesn't fall within your "intended purpose" it shouldn't be your responsibility, which is just a terribly territorial way of looking at it. Whatever happened to "One team One fight"?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Man, I gotta be straight with you. I'd love to drive a fucking Abrams.
I know that's the last thing I'd be doing but, I've thought more than a little about volunteering for an IA.
I know this sounds like I've been drinking the kool-aid, but I think this is clearly our generations "call to arms".
A bro is heading over with the 2nd Marines, he's a 17-year single anchor post-DH who doesnt know shit about what he's gonna be doing except that it's at a FOB that starts with an "F", I'm kinda envious.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Where are you getting this info that the National Guard was not intended to deploy overseas? It's participated in every major war since its federalization as an army reserve in 1903.

Perhaps if you trace back to colonial days, but what relevance does that have to today?

MasterBates

I volunteered for an IA, but they would not let me go with my divorce in progress. Then I got picked up for the E2C2 transition, and now CNATRA owns my ass...