• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

blackbart22

pilot
When I was a shooter, I actually heard an A-7 LSO (former Stoof LSO) say, "Donno, Boss, he was alright when he went by me. The 5MC then blared "LSO report to the tower -- NOW".

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pitching Deck video

I love the name of the song...words are pretty good, too. Some days the seas just don't want to cooperate. Maybe it's just Mother Nature reminding us of how small the carrier is relative to the wide expanse of blue water and show us how moody she can become.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's amazing to see how much the horizontal stab is moving just before he catches the wire on the very last pass in that video.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's amazing to see how much the horizontal stab is moving just before he catches the wire on the very last pass in that video.

That's nuthin' ... you shoulda' seen an A-7 stab when comin' aboard ... it looked like humingbirds' wings ... :D

MasterBates

Want amusement? Just see the 5 rudders on the E-2 dance when I am in the groove..

Is THAT why the NFOs don't like to fly with me?? :icon_smil

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Want amusement? Just see the 5 rudders on the E-2 dance when I am in the groove..

Is THAT why the NFOs don't like to fly with me?? :icon_smil

No jackass, it's because we can count (three rudders, one fixed stab for the uninformed). That uncentered ball has us hanging over another zip code while you admire its aesthetic beauty...

For those you just joining us, THIS is why we have two pilots. One to fly, one to slap the knucklehead flying. :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

1. Real question is who's making it move? The pilot or HAL? Regardless all Hornets are OK machines.

2. Stabs and other control surfaces is why Tomcat was affectionately known as the Turkey because that's what it looked like on the ball.

LSO and Tomcat landing trailer from Speed and Angels

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-cMlvGXzIfus/grading_the_landing_onto_a_carrier/

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
No jackass, it's because we can count (three rudders, one fixed stab for the uninformed). That uncentered ball has us hanging over another zip code while you admire its aesthetic beauty...

For those you just joining us, THIS is why we have two pilots. One to fly, one to slap the knucklehead flying. :D

Why does it have a fixed stab, and does the asymmetry in moving rudder area give the thing weirdness in a turn one way vice the other?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The fixed stab is for looks...really. It does absolutely nothing aerodynamically. The story is that some admiral's wife suggested it, but more likely, the lads at Grumman back in the day realized that an off-centered three-tailed plane looks goofy, and people who buy military airplanes don't tend to go for the goofy-looking ones.

I'll let the stick apes field the one about asymmetric rudders, but I will tell you it sucks in a big way to be in the ACO seat (all the way aft) when the pilot is new/tired/slow on the rudder/fighting crosswinds/hates you. You're way the hell out on the end of that moment arm. Worst flight of my life was a stunt mole hop in the RAG in a plane with broken a/c and no vapor cycle because it was a T-bird, in Norfolk, in August, just going 'round and 'round and 'round. I didn't puke, but I had my helmet bag in my lap, quietly begging the bad man to stop.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Yea.. Nothing like rolling into the groove and seeing like 50 people by the shack with cameras. My scan quickly went from meatball, lineup, aoa to meatball, photographers and then finished with just the photographers. Not my greatest pass. :D

UMichfly

pilot
None
HighDimension said:
Yea.. Nothing like rolling into the groove and seeing like 50 people by the shack with cameras. My scan quickly went from meatball, lineup, aoa to meatball, photographers and then finished with just the photographers. Not my greatest pass. :D

You've clearly never had one of the LSO's who likes to stand by the lens sans flight suit. Nothing trains you to focus solely on meatball, lineup, AOA like the possibility of being exposed to a bare ass if your scan wanders at all :crazy_125

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UMichfly said:
You've clearly never had one of the LSO's who likes to stand by the lens sans flight suit. Nothing trains you to focus solely on meatball, lineup, AOA like the possibility of being exposed to a bare ass if your scan wanders at all :crazy_125

So how would you be that afraid if you hadn't looked?

lso_dave.jpg

Back when LSO really held the paddles so you had to look at him