• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

jride200

Shall we sentence him to "Death by Manatee"?
FatChick.jpg

This photo ... from a post-divorce, big game hunt of your perhaps?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks for the clarification :)

WARNING: THREAD CREEP

MidnJac is a little confused. (As a MIDN, that is his job!)

The Green and Red lights on the side of the deck are the "Deck Status Lights". They signal to the LSOs and other people who need to know whether the deck is clear of foul. They are controlled by the Arresting Gear officer who stands in the catwalk starboard side aft. His switch is a dead man switch which must be held to keep the green light on. If he drops it, or is decapitated by a passing jet, the deck will go foul.

The switch that the LSOs are holding is called the "Pickle Switch" It controls the cut and waveoff lights on the IFLOLS (the meatball). The cut lights are the green lights above the ball that used to be used to signal a cut (i.e. pull the throttles to idle) on the old straight deck ships. These days, the cut lights are used during an EMCON or ziplip recovery to call for power without using the raido. The waveoff lights are on either side of the ball and signal the pilot to go around and try again, hopefully with a lower level of suckiness.

LSOs hold the pickle switch over their head when the deck is foul. It tells the AGO and the Boss that they know the deck is foul.

Class dismissed. Back to the thread.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone have an image of the old LSO shirt with the seeing eye dog and a pig on a leash?

"Didn't they say Come Left???"
Adams11.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On a very slightly related sidenote, I went to the museum at Alameda (the one that connects to Oakland airport) when I was on cruise in Lemoore last summer, and there was a Whale on display......it is completely amazing how large that thing is, and that it ever made it off an aircraft carrier. That must have been quite a view from that high up (in the pilot / copilot seats) :eek:

phrogpilot73

Nope. Reread my post.
OK, I'm assuming you want the mix of the Top Gun Anthem, Danger Zone, and all the associated Jet/Cat/JBD/5MC/radio calls associated with it. That does not exist. If you really must have it, I recommend a good DVD ripping program, and then a video editing program that will allow you to strip the audio. That's your only hope. And you're still gay.

As for whether it's cool to watch Top Gun or not, especially as a jet guy... Remember the Coasties (those bastards!) have a pretty sweet scene when they pick up Goose and Maverick... Other than that, not much for us helo guys... My Metor/Uber-Sexual F/A-18 roommate last deployment brought something like 6 movies with him. Top Gun was one of them. What a freak...

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
OK, I'm assuming you want the mix of the Top Gun Anthem, Danger Zone, and all the associated Jet/Cat/JBD/5MC/radio calls associated with it. That does not exist. If you really must have it, I recommend a good DVD ripping program, and then a video editing program that will allow you to strip the audio. That's your only hope. And you're still gay.

As for whether it's cool to watch Top Gun or not, especially as a jet guy... Remember the Coasties (those bastards!) have a pretty sweet scene when they pick up Goose and Maverick... Other than that, not much for us helo guys... My Metor/Uber-Sexual F/A-18 roommate last deployment brought something like 6 movies with him. Top Gun was one of them. What a freak...

Don't forget, the Coasties now have their own version of Top Gun.
The-Guardian.article.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The switch that the LSOs are holding is called the "Pickle Switch" It controls the cut and waveoff lights on the IFLOLS (the meatball). The cut lights are the green lights above the ball that used to be used to signal a cut (i.e. pull the throttles to idle) on the old straight deck ships. LSOs hold the pickle switch over their head when the deck is foul. It tells the AGO and the Boss that they know the deck is foul.

Deck is foul

web_060622-N-7130B-229.jpg

web_060617-N-0490C-001.jpg

Ready deck, "Pickle" behind back move

web_061012-N-9742R-360.jpg

Screamtruth

นักมวย
That movie was on SPIKE today, and in hindsight (no pun) it did contain an elevated amount of gayness. The dialogue was a typical hollywood sterotype of what they perceive as REAL........not the first, nor the last I am sure.

I always thought the Final Countdown was a better NA movie.

But I also get hit in the head alot...............

Out.

phrogpilot73

OK, so I understand what the trigger controls... But why do they hold it above their head? Heyjoe - you have any of your sweet pictures for the HeliTac calendar?

blur

A-pool
lol schnugg...is he sniffing or eating that?

Well, kinda sorta, but not really. I think you were semi-correct in saying it was the Top Gun anthem, but it is a modified version. I don't care about the jet/cat/etc. calls and don't care for Danger Zone. I'm talking about the scene before the jet launches, I guess when just the credits are rolling. I figured the only way would be to rip it from the DVD and figured someone here must know where a clip was. This may come as a shock, but I don't actually own the movie so I can't do it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

MidnJac is a little confused. (As a MIDN, that is his job!)

The Green and Red lights...
...the deck is foul.

Class dismissed. Back to the thread.

Wait, so is this the lecture on how Sailor Dick takes a stern approach??? :eek: