• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still think Boeing would have better luck pitching the OV-10X as an all-new airplane that just happens to look like the Bronc. Don't get me wrong, it'd be a shit-hot airplane; I don't think anyone's ever had much luck going for the nostalgia factor when it comes to mil air contracts.

GMK

AT-6 in Mozambique

Not sure if I can find the pics of the AT-6 Texans that were being used by the Portuguese Air Force in Mozambique while I was there in early 70's. they had rocket pods and odd looking pods with .30 cal machine guns on hard points.
The pilots were pretty arrogant and if they could only fly 1/10th of that they'd be marginal. I saw a couple of them auger in at the civilian base at Vila Pery where I based. It is now called Chimoio and midway from Beira on the coast to Umtali on the Zim border.
Did you run into Jose Quental or his brother by any chance? They had an air taxi operation (=bush flying) and at least one of them served in the Portugese AF.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
"Boss" Bartlett Rockin the AT-6B

In a recent interview, CDR Bartlett gives some inside info on Hawker-Beech's new "Sandy"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Greeeat. Imagine if they had spent that time and energy on making the trainer part of the T-6B actually available to its primary customer.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Interesting article on Air Power in Afghanistan

A Colonel's commentary on the aviation side of Afghanistan.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/200...-best-bombs-and-best-plans-into-afghan-fight/

I couldn't agree more, but why does the Air Force have to be in business of light attack? It seems to me that light-attack birds should be an organic asset to the respective service (Army, Navy, USMC) for many reasons.

He praises the MC-12 taking 8 months from concept to it's first flight in combat.

Because 'most' have no clue what's its like on the ground! Not like I do or anything - short of TBS - but even an outsider could grasp that. I bet even the A-10 guys....ahhh nevermind---rant complete.

out.

EDIT: Found a recent article on LAAR --> http://www.defpro.com/news/details/11801/ and by the looks of it the OV-10X is prob out :(

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Seems like a perfect time to resurrect the AFSOC "Air Commando" ethos from the Vietnam War.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Seems like a perfect time to resurrect the AFSOC "Air Commando" ethos from the Vietnam War.

AFSOC has sort of never lost it.

In the last 6-9 years, they've realized that they have an opportunity to take advantage of their time in the spotlight to do a little empire building.

So, IMHO, it's a little watered down, but it's still there.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
AFSOC has sort of never lost it.

In the last 6-9 years, they've realized that they have an opportunity to take advantage of their time in the spotlight to do a little empire building.

So, IMHO, it's a little watered down, but it's still there.

For sure! They're alive and well over at Hurlburt, and they train and deploy. I can hear them from my back yard (or from inside the house sometimes) blowing crap up on the range... now THAT is the sound of freedom! :D

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I couldn't agree more, but why does the Air Force have to be in business of light attack? It seems to me that light-attack birds should be an organic asset to the respective service (Army, Navy, USMC) for many reasons.

Part of that depends on whether you look at it as joint operations or combined arms. The other part is those blur together and the Air Force ought to have at least some capability there (shouldn't it??). There is a good article in the latest Air and Space magazine about USAF A-37s in Vietnam... let me find it... here you go: http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/69894967.html

Because 'most' have no clue what's its like on the ground! Not like I do or anything - short of TBS - but even an outsider could grasp that. I bet even the A-10 guys....ahhh nevermind---rant complete.

Ahhh, some rare wisdom. :) I would bet you're smarter on this stuff than you give yourself credit for...

Food for thought on the "Taliban’s ability to spin every off-kilter bomb into a propaganda win" and "nurturing of a home-grown Afghan air force" - indigenous light attack doesn't come without its own risks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Phuc

But for the record, I agree with a lot what's in the article you linked... I'm just adding a couple other good-to-think-about things by my reply.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Saw our little unmarked Super Tucano CAS demonstrator friend on the ramp at Will Rodgers Field several weeks back on our return leg from El Centro. Looked pretty cool up close in person

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Saw our little unmarked Pilatus CAS demonstrator friend on the ramp at Will Rodgers Field several weeks back on the trip back from El Centro. Looked pretty cool up close in person

Also saw 'Fury' at NAS Oceana... Awesome looking plane.