• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

jtmedli

pilot
Someone is thinking outside the box on this one. Does this mean I can count my primary hours as time in a combat plane?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1918849,00.html

In all seriousness, though...This could turn out to be a pretty solid idea.

1 F-22 = 50 AT-6B's....sounds like a good deal to me. So they gonna strap some 50 cals and 500 pounders on the T-6 and go to town? They could do some damage with 50 of those things.

FlyinRock

Not sure if I can find the pics of the AT-6 Texans that were being used by the Portuguese Air Force in Mozambique while I was there in early 70's. they had rocket pods and odd looking pods with .30 cal machine guns on hard points.
The pilots were pretty arrogant and if they could only fly 1/10th of that they'd be marginal. I saw a couple of them auger in at the civilian base at Vila Pery where I based. It is now called Chimoio and midway from Beira on the coast to Umtali on the Zim border.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Come on Marine Corps, you know you want it...

5-at-6b-aircraft.jpg
AIR_AT-6B_Concept_Desert_lg.jpg

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<<The only problem I see is that some of us are going to have to get a taildragger endorsement.>>> :icon_smil

What the hell is a "taildragger endorsement"? Got ~1100 hours, 300 traps in the Spad...never even heard of such a thing.

What the hell is the Navy coming to...(or gone to)? :confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What the hell is a "taildragger endorsement"? Got ~1100 hours, 300 traps in the Spad...never even heard of such a thing.

What the hell is the Navy coming to...(or gone to)? :confused:

Once upon a time, everyone started out in taildraggers because that's what was prevelant in aircraft design hence no need to differentiate, but as more and more designs were introduced with nosewheels, tail draggers were more of an exception rather than the rule and the pitfall/avoidance of the associated ground loop escaped mainstream attention. It was the FAA, not Naval Aviation that introduced taildragger endorsements.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Copy that, Dave...thanks!!

IIRC, first Spad flight in VT-30 Corpus (1962) wasn't a flight at all...more of a "taxi" flight...

"Position and hold" on the active...upon tower clearance, apply Takeoff Power (54" MAP?)...at rotate speed, abort!!...power back to idle, return back to the ramp...

If you could handle that, then the next hop they allowed us to rotate, and fly the damn thing...

Good times...

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
AF bubs regularly make a career in AFSOC.

A few years ago, an AFSOC pilot was actually a very high time special operations minded aviator. With the massive expansion of AFSOC and the desire to make everything (everyone) "special operations capable", you will rotuinely see a guy wearing an ACC patch one month, then slap on an AFSOC patch the next if his squadron was so designated for integration into AFSOC.

There's also a long line of guys who get their couple of years in special operations stamp and move on. I haven't seen crews in recent history that exuded any Jedi Knight-spec ops mentality or skills other than the ever popular sterile unforms and relaxed grooming standards. "Dude, you're an E-4 in the back of a PC-12 at 24,000', can you please tell me where your office is?"

MR-