• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When we launched the OV-10s off TR, the plan was if one had a problem it would just turn around and land back onboard. They said it was no problem with their STOL capabilities. No tail hook required.

I was the Conning Officer for the launch so I was in on the event brief. (We had watch briefs for any unusual event.)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
My dad was enlisted air crew on Broncos for the majority of his career, so I grew up around them. I'm pretty sure i'd give a testicle to fly one. I'd only have two at that point, but I think it'd be worth it to fly that thing.

My dad still tells me stories about road tests and carrier launches with the Bronco and tells me what a pussy I am for selecting heavies (mostly kidding). He was with VMO-2 during Desert Storm, and I don't recall seeing any pictures of carrier launches (at least not in the cruise book). I think they all did the trans-lant flight. It must have been a pretty cool sight, though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A Bronco is not going to make it translant and I don't think they can air-to-air refuel. I am pretty sure they all went across on TR.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I'm young and stupid enough to think that would be a hell of a lot of fun.

We had Marine Lt Col Cliff Acree come speak to our SERE class about the time he spent in Iraq, courtesy of Saddam Hussein in 1991. During one of the breaks there were a couple of us that got to standing around with the Lt. Colonel and started talking flying. Maybe not a ton of firepower or speed, but I can imagine zunni rockets would be a lot of fun to play with. He made the OV-10 sound like one of the all time great birds to get to fly. I'm curious if he was one of the guys who got to make the deck run launch off the TR.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
Regarding the Super Tucano that the USN has been eying (and buying) for COIN/CAS, will it be flown by the USAF or by the USN? I have seen articles that mention both....The Navy flyers makes sense because, well, it's Navy money. Using AF pilots makes sense because they have the training pipelines in place for this kind of thing(though not a/c specific, obviously). Perhaps they will send USN aviators through the AF program?

Where have you been hearing that the Navy is eyeing the Super T?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
First one is being tested, says military.com:

http://www.military.com/news/article/secret-program-works-to-field-seal-plane.html?ESRC=navy-a.nl

"The initial cadre of four SEAL-supporting Super Tucanos will be flown by Navy pilots activated as individual augmentees, and multiple sources close to the program report that aviators are clamoring to get involved with the program." There's one IA I don't think I would mind at all.

They'll have a S/WSO in the 2nd seat. I wonder if that person will be an NFO or enlisted AC/Seal?

Thought: If the Navy buys 20 or so Super Tucanos, that can't hurt the Super Hornet's chances of being selected by the Brasilian AF for its new fighter. The Brasilians have a 32,800 ton carrier (the "Sao Paulo") which they bought from France in 2000 & they operate Brasilian Navy A-4s from it that they purchased from Kuwait. Their carrier is about the same size as a 27C class Essex carrier. Probably too small for Super Hornets.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"...aviators are clamoring to get involved with the program." There's one IA I don't think I would mind at all.

No shit. One-year GSA choices: a) fill out Powerpoints for some colonel in Kuwait, b) bang around at low altitude doing CAS for the SEALs. Hmm...what do do, what to do... Fuck, I'd sign up, assuming that there's any justice in this world and there's two anchors in the back seat.

According to the article, there's money worries about the program. I'd be willing to bet that if the SEALs want something these days, they get it.

Pegasus

Sounds like a job for someone with weapons/sensor experience and is a glutton for punishment... say a Flying CWO?

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
Flying CWO makes the most sense for the back seat, especially since most of my AW buddies are picking up IA's that are less than FUN.

Sensor experience would assume the CWO was an AW in his/her previous life. Aren't there already AW's organic to SEAL teams doing UAV stuff.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Problem is, the Flying Warrants we have are either still in the TRACOM or only partway through their first Fleet tours. That's not when Big Navy wants to send guys out to the sandbox on IA/GSA's. Many of them aren't ex-AW's or anything, either.

We've got lots and lots and lots of Fleet aviators who are in their window for GSA's and have experience flying Close Air Support. That's what this gig will be, not just a NTISR sensor operator gig. The FWO's don't bring anything to the table that makes them more qualified than, say, a Rhino WSO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Problem is, the Flying Warrants we have are either still in the TRACOM or only partway through their first Fleet tours. That's not when Big Navy wants to send guys out to the sandbox on IA/GSA's. Many of them aren't ex-AW's or anything, either.

Not to mention that Flying Warrants don't actually know anything other than their in-rate training. Sorry guys, you're not Army Warrants, and you won't be for a few years.

Pegasus

Gatordev Sorry guys said:
So, your saying their is a chance. :D

Seriously, I was just sharing my excitement for the program and not starting any hate and discontent within the ranks.