• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescinding selection for SNA?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what are the odds of my selection being rescinded for SNA. I was selected at this last board, but I am back in school getting a 2nd bachelors degree currently. I finish in May, but my ship date is next Saturday (9/23/23). I told my recruiter I was in school still and he said they may rescind the selection to send someone else who can go on that date. Does anyone know a relative probability or have any advice on what I should do given that I want finish this 2nd degree AND become a pilot?

Thanks to whoever replies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys,

I was wondering what are the odds of my selection being rescinded for SNA. I was selected at this last board, but I am back in school getting a 2nd bachelors degree currently. I finish in May, but my ship date is next Saturday (9/23/23). I told my recruiter I was in school still and he said they may rescind the selection to send someone else who can go on that date. Does anyone know a relative probability or have any advice on what I should do given that I want finish this 2nd degree AND become a pilot?

Thanks to whoever replies.
Sorry, but as someone who holds a PhD and has worked in academia I can see no logical reason to get a second bachelors. Give it up and go to OCS. College doesn’t go away and that second degree (that should rightfully be turned toward an advanced degree) will always be there. A second bachelor’s is much like a second butt hole…interesting conversation pieces sure, but genuinely unnecessary.

Sorry, but as someone who holds a PhD and has worked in academia I can see no logical reason to get a second bachelors. Give it up and go to OCS. College doesn’t go away and that second degree (that should rightfully be turned toward an advanced degree) will always be there. A second bachelor’s is much like a second butt hole…interesting conversation pieces sure, but genuinely unnecessary.
I will say, it is a mathematics degree and I would like to get into the "STEM" category for anything post-military. It is also costing me $0 currently due to the VA paying for it (Dad's GI bill...awesome benefit). Does that affect your response at all?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I will say, it is a mathematics degree and I would like to get into the "STEM" category for anything post-military. It is also costing me $0 currently due to the VA paying for it (Dad's GI bill...awesome benefit). Does that affect your response at all?
Doesn’t matter…it is a Bachelor’s and you already have one. Please, please, listen to a former academic and someone who has hired people for years, it is a pointless effort and a meaningless degree. Clearly you are intelligent, so get a meaningful Masters degree in math in a few years.

taxi1

pilot
Good pairing of degrees, but definitely not worth holding off on the opportunity to get paid to fly. Still better to get a grad degree in something STEM, after backfilling with any prerequisites if required.

I'm at a University too. STEM guy.

madiego

Yea man stop striving for lower, strive for higher as a masters. And you already have a spot at OCS!!! Not everyone gets that opportunity let alone go in as an SNA. Go be the better version of your father by achieving the goals you set yourself out for. You can always go back to school while in the Navy, but dont strive for anything lower than a masters since you already did your time with a bachelors.

BDavis11

Contributor
Doesn’t matter…it is a Bachelor’s and you already have one. Please, please, listen to a former academic and someone who has hired people for years, it is a pointless effort and a meaningless degree. Clearly you are intelligent, so get a meaningful Masters degree in math in a few years.
PhD in what may I ask?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Lol I ask because I am on the fence about getting a PhD.
Typically I advise my students against it if all they imagine is an academic position (like a professor) and the “life of the mind.” Jobs in academia are few and far between. Some doctorates do lead to specialized research only positions and that is worth the work of getting the degree. The federal government loves people with a PhD but the work there is work, highly focused on your field.

BDavis11

Contributor
Typically I advise my students against it if all they imagine is an academic position (like a professor) and the “life of the mind.” Jobs in academia are few and far between. Some doctorates do lead to specialized research only positions and that is worth the work of getting the degree. The federal government loves people with a PhD but the work there is work, highly focused on your field.
I want no parts of academia. Post military I am looking for federal work as an option. I don't think sports field requires a PhD for anything lucrative. I would consider something that tags onto criminal justice if it was worth it for a 3 letter agency. Sounds like I am fine where I am for the most part.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I want no parts of academia. Post military I am looking for federal work as an option. I don't think sports field requires a PhD for anything lucrative. I would consider something that tags onto criminal justice if it was worth it for a 3 letter agency. Sounds like I am fine where I am for the most part.
Most likes you are. Most federal agencies prefer a sound education and some practical experience more valuable than a lot of education and limited experience. A Master’s is a solid degree.

exNavyOffRec

When you submitted did you put your date available as after May, did you have a degree completion plan or something indicating you were in school?