• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requesting an award

sickboy

pilot
Over the last few years I've accumulated a couple hundred hours of community service in various forms: EMS, Habitat for Humanity, and most recently at the National Naval Aviation Museum. I believe that I have met the requirements for an MOVSM but I don't know how to go about getting one without looking/sounding like a tool. Also the majority of my hours were completed while I was a middie, and I'm not sure how those are counted. Can anyone help a clueless Ensign out?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Why exactly do you want the award? There's no disgrace in just wearing your NDSM as an Ensign.

The awards process in the military is one in which someone must recommend you for an award. I guess if you really want it that bad, find your commanding officer and take it up with them. You're going to come off as a tool though. You should also note that:

Authority to award the MOVSM is delegated to those officers who have authority to award the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal or Joint Service Achievement Medal and above.

Which means it'll have to be approved by an O-5 I believe. It also looks like you need to have 3 years sustained service while a member of the Armed Forces, which you were not. But good luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Over the last few years I've accumulated a couple hundred hours of community service in various forms: EMS, Habitat for Humanity, and most recently at the National Naval Aviation Museum. I believe that I have met the requirements for an MOVSM but I don't know how to go about getting one without looking/sounding like a tool. Also the majority of my hours were completed while I was a middie, and I'm not sure how those are counted. Can anyone help a clueless Ensign out?

Generally, at least what I've seen, MOVSMs are for enlisted personnel. Not that you can't earn/wear one as an officer, but it's just not "needed." However, to earn one, you put a request for one in with proper documentation, as per your local Awards Board. If you weren't an Academy Mid, the years of service may be a problem. All that said, I wouldn't pursue it.

The awards process in the military is one in which someone must recommend you for an award.

Not true. You can always submit yourself for an award. The Awards Board will recommend you for the award (or not).

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would say to enjoy volunteering and helping out. Be satisfied your are doing good things and take any thanks and praise gracioiusly. That being said, you will look like a tool for putting yourself in for an award. I highly recommend that you do not. It will appear (perception becomes reality) that you volunteered just to be awarded. Sketchy.

My opinion. Do as you feel, but be ready to accept what comes.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't think you're a tool for wanting to wear it if you deserve it. However, if it were me...I would be prepared to get laughed at when I asked for it. As long as you can take that in good nature, then ask your ADMIN for the proper way to write it up and then route it to your skipper. Stand by to again be laughed at (and tell the story) everytime you wear your khakis.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to get a bit of recognition,

For community service? It's about who you help. Not you.

I'm not going to rag on you, because community service is a great thing.

CAN you self-submit an award for this? Sure.

SHOULD you? No.

81montedriver

pilot
Even though you are allowed to put yourself in for an award apparently, does anybody ever do so?

You have to realize that if you put yourself in for this award, you will get laughed at whether you get it or not. Good on you for doing community service, but the vast majority of the time, it is SOMEBODY else putting you in for an award, and they are recognizing your achievements. If nobody has put you in for an award, then maybe your achievements weren't that great.

Putting yourself in for an award is basically saying it's all about you and you are only in it for yourself instead of being a team player and not worrying about awards. You should be satisfied enough that you did some service for some folks that needed it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Even though you are allowed to put yourself in for an award apparently, does anybody ever do so?

You have to realize that if you put yourself in for this award, you will get laughed at whether you get it or not. Good on you for doing community service, but the vast majority of the time, it is SOMEBODY else putting you in for an award, and they are recognizing your achievements. If nobody has put you in for an award, then maybe your achievements weren't that great.

Putting yourself in for an award is basically saying it's all about you and you are only in it for yourself instead of being a team player and not worrying about awards. You should be satisfied enough that you did some service for some folks that needed it.

Actually, people put themselves in for this particular award (MOVSM) all the time, otherwise how would anyone know? Again, it's usually enlisted. I'm not sure if it gives you a point on an exam, but it can be that "one more thing" when going up for Chief.

But again, as I said, probably not the best choice for a SNA to submit. Or at least it's not the "norm."

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
What Gatordev said. Back in my early E-days, there were several guys who put in the hours for the award. The command encouraged it, but I don't remember anyone other than Blueshirts getting the award. And good on you for putting in your time, I've worked with H4H quite a bit; they're a good group.

sickboy

pilot
Thanks for the responses. I'll just skip it then, sounds like more trouble than it's worth anyway.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Make sure you meet the requirements of the Navy Awards Manual and submit a complete request with the proper documentation. If you want it, don't expect anyone else to do the legwork for you - that goes pretty much universally for anything you could want out of the Navy.

Here's why: The Navy has an MOVSM to encourage people to preform volunteer service, not just to give them another opportunity to earn chest candy (clearly, in your case, it was for the opportunity to serve - so get your chest candy and be proud you earned it:thumbup_1). Being awarded a MOVSM by your command for performing that service gives the skipper the opportunity to highlight an officer who is doing volunteer work and encourage others to do the same. It also gives him the chance to remind enlisted personnel that the MOVSM may make the difference for them during the next advancement exam/board cycle.

Don't go to the CO with it, though - this is something for the XO. Sell it to him the way I just described, and you shouldn't have any problems.

The rest of you, go find something useful to do, instead of just being turds and hating on a guy for bringing honor upon himself, and the United States Naval Service.:irked_125

Scuba out.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You're going to learn very quickly that there's an aversion in Naval Aviation against certain things that makes you stand out. Be it awards or leather jackets, etc (besides fancy cars or expensive watches). I say if you qualify for it, put yourself in for it. No one is going to notice otherwise and if they did, they sure wouldn't submit it for you. Be proud of your service to the community and wear your ribbon (unless it's pink or rainbow colored). If they laugh, they're acting like tools.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Be proud of your service to the community and wear your ribbon (unless it's pink or rainbow colored).

Army_Service_Ribbon.svg

Don't knock the rainbow ribbon! :) I'm almost sad that the gay pride ribbon (Army Service Ribbon) won't transfer over to my Navy uniform.

There's also the 42nd Infantry Division

n05637.jpg