• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requesting a ride in a E-2/C-2 or F-18

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm sure this gets asked alot on the ship but I couldn't find it addressed here. If a person that works on an aircraft carrier wants to get at least one cat shot/flight off of the ship, how would he/she ask? Is it even permissible? What if it's for a re-enlistment? I swear that I've heard of guys going up in the back seat of an F-18 for re-enlistments before but I don't know how that gets approved. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. If the answer to any of the questions might be in violation of OPSEC, please PM me.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
There is a section of 3710 that covers "guest/orientation flights" and the requirements for different types of guests (guest aircrew, MIDN/Intel-O, inflight troubleshooters, incentive flights) and the level at which they can be approved are also usually covered in Wing/Squadron SOPs.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
When I was enlisted I took a flight in a cobra off of an LHD.
I did not request it or anything else, but the CO did love me.
I was on the bridge one day doing my regular 6-12 BMOW watch when I said looking out of the window, man it would be great to take a flight in one of those. He turned his head and said, ohhhh Mr. BMOW you are an aspiring pilot aren't ya? Why don't you meet me in preflight at 1300, and that was that. I had the ride of my life! So talk to the CO, but your NFO wannabe better be a go getter type!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Varries with your TMS. In mine, you have to have received some kind of significant accolades, I.E. SOQ, SOY, etc and be approoved by the CO and Comodore.

Brett

highside7r

None
I ran a chit during one reenlistment for a F-14 ride. We were on cruise,my HS skipper helped, but VF skipper didn't like the idea but promised a ride back on the beach in Oceana. I was already an helo AW, so went to Cecil prior to deployment to get the seat qual added. This was back in the day when VFA-106 at Cecil had a list for "empty seat" rides one could get on. After the no go on the Turkey ride, talked to the Prowler guys, no dice from their OPS O, so lastly walked over to the VS guys and they offered a ride (still had AW's in back in the late 90's).

As HS guys, we got requests for rides all the time, one would get the full Starboard D tour for a few hours, but a ride regardless.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I have worked some request for rides in CNATRA aircraft in the past.

3710 Chapter 3 covers the orientation flight stuff. Major hurdles include swim/phys and ejection seat training waivers if you don't have what is required. There are restrictions for approval authority based on the requirement for personal (vs. emergency) oxygen use and catapult/arrested landing operations.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
When you're on the boat, slip and break your wrist. That will be one free COD ride off the boat. We were always flying broke dicks off the boat. :)

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Funny...back in the day, as an A7 IP with VA-122, I fought for every flight hour I could get. Given...we had a small fleet of T-28's...used for spin training A7 FRP's, ferrying parts/personnel to/from NFL & NYL, NZY, NKX, ABQ, et all, safety pilot at raked targets...I was always available for a quick turnaround.

If the back seat was available, I always offered a ride to a "maintainer"...so usually had a "guest"...BUT...

Just about the time I'm raising the gear, very gently banking toward our destination...out with the barf bag in the back seat! Happened more often than not! Don't think they could stand the excitement or insufferable heat in the valley...hardly ever got any aerobatics in...wings level, gentle rides...
icon8.gif

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just about the time I'm raising the gear, very gently banking toward our destination...out with the barf bag in the back seat! Happened more often than not! Don't think they could stand the excitement or insufferable heat in the valley...hardly ever got any aerobatics in...wings level, gentle rides...
icon8.gif

I remember when I was on middie cruise (@ -122), most of the folks who got sick had it happen in the T-34C on bomb spotter duty. I'll admit that all the heat and low altitude maneuvering started to wear on me on the first of these rides, but the maintainers seemed truly astounded that I hadn't gotten sick or thrown up......so I guess there must have been many others.

brownshoe

Contributor
Funny...back in the day, as an A7 IP with VA-122, I fought for every flight hour I could get. Given...we had a small fleet of T-28's...used for spin training A7 FRP's, ferrying parts/personnel to/from NFL & NYL, NZY, NKX, ABQ, et all, safety pilot at raked targets...I was always available for a quick turnaround.

If the back seat was available, I always offered a ride to a "maintainer"...so usually had a "guest"...BUT...

icon8.gif

I rode once in a TA-4 (PC of the month). Ron, I was punished! I had fun though it was the ride of my life! I did puke. But not until after we’d landed. It was all in good fun though the IP and I had worked together for a few years. He even paid my bar tab at the club that night. He stopped by the club and informed the bartender that my money was no good that night that he’d be by tomorrow to pay my tab. I even found a six-pack on the seat of my MGA when I left hangar 67 that afternoon. Gee… I had lots of COD flights to and from the boat, but none of the pilots never offered to pay my bar tab at Cecil.:)

Steve

(BTW… did you get those photos I emailed you yesterday? Did you know him? How about that sword?)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Most HS helo squadrons will give folks a ride for re-enlisting.
While deployed, we'd also accept chits from other squdrons on a 'space A' basis. Sometimes we got to give folks a few hours of fun and let them take pictures.
Run the chit, the worst they can say is "No".

OldNavy

icon8.gif

Ahhh the venerable T-28

Got my first back seat ride from my DIVO, "Wild Bill" Rule, back when I was in VT-27.

tlord82

pilot
Unfortunately, so-called 'incentive rides' have been turned off in the Marines. My Marine was supposed to get a ride for getting meritoriously promoted and I was looking forward to showing him exactly what we do when we disappear over the horizon. But with the fewer flight hours and older Hornet fleet, HQMC decided to put a hold on all incentive rides. Too bad....

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my fleet squadron as the Training O, I was responsible for offering the SOQ, SOY, BJOQ, etc, an incentive ride. Out of all the eligible participants, I only had one person take us up on the ride after getting the pre-requisite quals. in the 80's and 90's, I re-enlisted on an H-3 and also on a C-2, but it helped to be aircrew with all the quals. Incentive ride can still be had, but you need a bit of lead time. Getting a ride in an aircraft that takes pax is a whole lot easier (Helo or COD) because you do not need the extra quals.

-ea6bflyr ;)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
In a P-3, it's usually no big deal. Heck, maintainers on "incentive" rides don't even need to change into zoom bags.