• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requesting a ride in a E-2/C-2 or F-18

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Did some flying with a USCG pilot from the HITRON out of Cecil field a few years back. I got to fly the MH-68 and he got to fly the HH-60H.

Also when I was with HS-10 I got to instruct DLQ's for Army Warrents flying UH-60A; man those were old aircraft. One of them was the oldest H-60 flying ATT.
When they came down to San Diego for an exercise I got to take two of them up in a 60F.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Anybody ever given a ride to an Aviator of another service?

We took some Air Force folks up in the Hawkeye a few times. We did a bunch of work with the F-16 CJ folks in the Gulf so they did an exchange thing with us during the down times and we gave them some rides.

Hawkeye folks love to give rides to the people that we are controlling. It makes sense for them to see the capes and lims of the aircraft first hand. Having a fighter guy watch AICs from our perspective opened their eyes quite a bit since they know knew what we were seeing and what we had to go through to get a call out. They were usually more forgiving of our new guys on the radios after that.

The F-14, F-18 pilots had a real problem with landing on the boat in the back of the bus. They were nervous as hell every time. I think it was a mix of them not having the controls, not being able to see anything, and the fact that they have no way out if things go wrong.

As far as Enlisted "Good Deal" rides, I never had a Skipper that would let them fly off of the boat. It kind of sucked for them. The only reenlistment rides we ever gave was usually during FCLP's, so they would get to bouce a few times and that would be it. I never agreed with that. I always thought we should at least let them ride along on one of our OPTAR flights and do the VFR tour of San Francisco or the Grand Canyon or something and let them take the wheel for a little while.

But, alas, I was not in charge.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Anybody ever given a ride to an Aviator of another service?

Took an EF-111 pilot along in the backseat on a Red Flag sortie in the fighting drumstick. He puked.

Took the CO of Andrews AFB (B-52 pilot) out to the boat for CQ. Good guy and bought all the beer and dinner at the club afterwards.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
As far as Enlisted "Good Deal" rides, I never had a Skipper that would let them fly off of the boat. It kind of sucked for them.

Kind of like when the Middies show up in the summer while you're deployed. We get told that all the Middies will get some stick time during their time deployed but most show up without seat quals....

That's when all the CO's look at the helo Skipper and ask when "Middie Fly Day" is.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Kind of like when the Middies show up in the summer while you're deployed. We get told that all the Middies will get some stick time during their time deployed but most show up without seat quals....

That's when all the CO's look at the helo Skipper and ask when "Middie Fly Day" is.

I think I remember something similar with HawkeyeLand since you don't need an ejection seat qual to ride with us. Not positive, though.