• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remember this Blue #5 picture?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
god i miss nintendo. i think i'll dig mine out from storage and see if it works when i get back to CC. I don't know if I can even still hook it up, I remember it having that weird jack thing that went directly into the cable.

Anybody actually beat Top Gun on NES? I did and the last couple missions were weird..(ie fighting the Russkies in Space). Also, I hardly ever crashed at the carrier. :D

Contra was "aiight"... Double Dragon and the second Ninja Turtles (the one that was just like the arcade version) was what all the cool kids were playing. The best part was taking all the health from your buddy who was playing with you , even if you already had full health. :D

I wasn't a fat ass like the kids these days mind you, this was after riding my BMX with friends all day sneaking onto the busy street that your parents wouldn't let you ride on.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Just google Nintendo Emulator, there are dozens of them, and you can download just about every game ever. If you really want to geek it up (or you're going on cruise) you can go to Best buy and get a decent controller for 10 bucks.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Picture makes for a good Physic 1201 word problem.

Beat Top Gun...My very young mind and hands had the hardest time getting linked up with the tanker. Never went below the clouds. It was scary down there.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
23 feet makes sense.

While I doubt fly-by-wire has this feedback, back in the day we used to flat-hat occasionally over the water (glassy seas only) in the PI, making rooster tails. (It was actually good training for some of the missions we needed to fly.) Radar altimeters were worthless. We relied upon "stick feel" to determine when we were in "Ground Effect." Indeed, you could actually push forward on the stick, and the ground effect buffer would block you from going lower.... if you didn't push too hard, that is. :eek::eek: IIRC, it happened at one-half the wingspan. The F-4 had a 38' wingspan; the F-18 nearly 45', so 1/2 would be about 23' as in the photo... if they have any kind of normal feel and feedback.

Warning!!!! Do not try this at home. I have some friends who lost centerline tanks and later lost their wings doing this. I also know some who lost their lives. Just keep it theoretical, know the aerodynamics, and live to fly and live long later on.

Or become a Blue....but they have rules too. I once saw a Blue doing a triple, low-alt aileron roll when their own rules allowed only a double.... he sadly paid the ultimate price for stretching/breaking the rules.

Huggy Bear

pilot
You need to get a newer NATOPS (and a 20X greybook):D. The Radalt actually has like 5 setting if you use that annoying increment funtion by double tapping autopilot.:icon_rage

The legacy has the old twisty dial radalt and it is all the way down by your right knee. I'm not so thuper anymore...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys make me chuckle w/ all the "oooo-ing" and "ahhhhh-ing" over a low pass that was a standard day at the office and no biggie in the Attack community ... :) ... it was part of the job description.

Under 50' in the daytime ... frequently under 25 ' and "well under" 500' AT NIGHT :)eek:) ... in varying terrain all the time moving at the speed of heat ... like Cat said, during the day you didn't even used the RADALT because it was too slow w/your altitude and forward speed and was thus unusable .... you could "feel" 25 feet ... or 15 ... or 10 ....

Say "hello" to CAPT Banca Boat ... THE UGLY AMERICAN IS HERE !!!!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Or become a Blue....but they have rules too. I once saw a Blue doing a triple, low-alt aileron roll when their own rules allowed only a double.... he sadly paid the ultimate price for stretching/breaking the rules.

There's a HUD tape they showed us at ASO of Pax testing the Hornet for the Blues and after three rolls (IIRC) it's a very vivid display of roll coupling. Guy pulls it out but decides he's sucked up enough seat cushion for the day.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Stupid question time: Whats wrong with doing 3 rolls, but 2 are allowed? Does a roll cause you to change altitude and by doing 3 in a row they're saying that you could potentially hit something without control? OR does it disorient you slightly which is no good at that altitude?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The legacy has the old twisty dial radalt and it is all the way down by your right knee. I'm not so thuper anymore...

It's still there, and still works as it always has (it's all I use), however they added this incremental functionality so you can have like 5 different radalt settings. Not sure how it works because frankly, it's annoying and just pisses me off. You'll be trying to punch in a frequency, decend through one of the alts, and the radalt crap pops up on the UFC thus superceding whatever you were doing.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Stupid question time: Whats wrong with doing 3 rolls, but 2 are allowed? Does a roll cause you to change altitude and by doing 3 in a row they're saying that you could potentially hit something without control? OR does it disorient you slightly which is no good at that altitude?

AFAIK numerous rolls can cause excessive a/c gyrations and departure. I'll leave a more technical explanation to the geekgineers though.

I think this is the video Pugs mentioned: http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/SUPERGT/3161/

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Anybody actually beat Top Gun on NES? I did and the last couple missions were weird..(ie fighting the Russkies in Space). Also, I hardly ever crashed at the carrier.
I always landed at the carrier but when it came to inflight refueling, I sure as hell was going in the drink:eek:

You guys make me chuckle w/ all the "oooo-ing" and "ahhhhh-ing" over a low pass that was a standard day at the office and no biggie in the Attack community ... :) ... it was part of the job description.

Under 50' in the daytime ... frequently under 25 ' and "well under" 500' AT NIGHT :)eek:) ... in varying terrain all the time moving at the speed of heat ... like Cat said, during the day you didn't even used the RADALT because it was too slow w/your altitude and forward speed and was thus unusable .... you could "feel" 25 feet ... or 15 ... or 10 ....
Of course these were the times before "NATOPS"....we now have "NATOPS" "limits" so we cannot fly at 7' off the deck like was so frequently used before my time. The "oooo-ing" and "ahhhhh-ing" was for the Nintendo cheat codes and the new 20x software that gives us a gazillion useless RADALT settings.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

While roll-coupling will certainly bite you, this incident was different.

In this particular case – Blues practice show in A-4s, NKX, Nov. 1978 - starting from a normal low alt. position for 2 rolls, the aircraft nose had obviously "fallen too far" to fully complete a 3rd roll (which was not in their script) and crashed inverted onto the runway.