• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Relationships

MidWestEwo

None
Have any of you had any problems keeping relationships intact throughout the training process? How hard is it to keep in contact while at OCS with your family and the girlfriend/fiance? Is it tough to have a girlfriend or fiance through flight school and such? I always thought the girl I was with was expendable, but now I don't think it will be that easy. Any first hand experience with keeping the baggage around?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you have any doubts as to your ability to keep her through what's coming up, it's almost assuredly not going to work. And if you're looking for relationship advice... perhaps ignore anything that Masterbates has to say.... haha.

MasterBates

Count on no contact at OCS save occasional letters MAYBE a 2 minute phone call on some Sundays, and that's it.

My take- Live like a Viking for the next couple years. Your wallet when you are a LT will thank you.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
If she/he is worth it, they will be there in 13/15/18 weeks...if not, they won't. I think you will have much more on yer plate to worry about than a relationship. I went to OCS when my wife was starting her 3rd trimester...it sucked, we got over it...she was good. I indoc'd a guy whose bitch of a wife dumped him on the 1st call home...she was bad.
When it gets down to it, there is nothing you can do aout it from OCS, so don't waste the effort worrying about Jody.
Pickle

exo

I think referring to a woman that you are considering marrying as "baggage" says a lot about what type of relationship you'll have when things get tough. I happily plan on being married during training and I know she'll be there to support me. If I truly though of her as baggage I wouldn't even think about starting this whole career with her.

I've heard it said a million times on this forum. If she's the one then it may not be easy, but she'll stay and you guys will grow stronger though it all. If she's not, or if you're not ready, it'll end how you'd expect.

exhelodrvr

pilot
"I think referring to a woman that you are considering marrying as "baggage" says a lot about what type of relationship you'll have when things get tough ... I've heard it said a million times on this forum. If she's the one then it may not be easy, but she'll stay and you guys will grow stronger though it all. If she's not, or if you're not ready, it'll end how you'd expect. .

Don't be so snooty. The point that a lot of these posts are trying to make is to wait, if you're not already married, until later. They are trying to help you avoid the "it'll end how you'd expect" part. What you should be saying is "If she's the one, then she'll be willing to wait a little bit. If she's not, then it's a good thing you didn't get married to her."

MidWestEwo

None
I think referring to a woman that you are considering marrying as "baggage" says a lot about what type of relationship you'll have when things get tough. I happily plan on being married during training and I know she'll be there to support me. If I truly though of her as baggage I wouldn't even think about starting this whole career with her.

I've heard it said a million times on this forum. If she's the one then it may not be easy, but she'll stay and you guys will grow stronger though it all. If she's not, or if you're not ready, it'll end how you'd expect.

Lol, the baggage thing was more of a joke. I was thinking that if I made it through OCS and she is still around then I would put a ring on her finger. I was just seeing how hard the transition was for other people's girlfriends/fiances/wives. I know it will be a big sacrifice for her to stick around, I just hope it would be easy on her as far as making friends, keeping occupied while I am in flight training, etc.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
The friends part will come fairly quickly, the military is a great community and brings in significant others very quickly. My fiance had almost as many friends as I did after only two visits (she lives in another state for her job). Job-wise, it's mostly up to her. How much does she want to work? How willing is she to do something not related to her education/background for the time your wherever you are? Being adaptable is the main factor in keeping a relationship together through training and your career as a whole

Keep in mind that distance isn't always the hardest part. I don't recommend proposing the first time you see her after OCS. Sometimes the transition back into the relationship can be the thing that breaks people. But like everyone else said, if it's worth it for both of you then she'll still be there in the end.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
There will be so many girls later in life but this will be your one shot at wings. Don't misplace your priorities. Don't have one girlfriend. Have many and have them often. Your mind doesn't need to be worrying about relationships at this stage of the game.

My 2 cents.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
There will be so many girls later in life but this will be your one shot at wings. Don't misplace your priorities....

EXACTLY!!! If she's truly the one, wait until after wings and through one deployment. If you two are still going strong, then you'll be absolutely sure you're marrying the right girl, I guarantee.

DFSpence

There will be so many girls later in life but this will be your one shot at wings. Don't misplace your priorities. Don't have one girlfriend. Have many and have them often. Your mind doesn't need to be worrying about relationships at this stage of the game.

My 2 cents.

I'm with this guy, especially the 'many' and 'often' part.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Lol, the baggage thing was more of a joke. I was thinking that if I made it through OCS and she is still around then I would put a ring on her finger. I was just seeing how hard the transition was for other people's girlfriends/fiances/wives. I know it will be a big sacrifice for her to stick around, I just hope it would be easy on her as far as making friends, keeping occupied while I am in flight training, etc.

I wouldn't propose right after OCS. Why the rush? A few months of OCS is enough time for the suck to seem romantic and for the missing each other to feel special. It's a lot different to sit next to someone on the couch when he's studying and working, night after night, and can't hang out with you. (I say, as I wave to my husband who is working on some spreadsheet at 8:00 on a Sunday.) That's what your reality will be and what her reality with you will be, not just for flight school, but more or less for as long as you are in.

It isn't for everyone. I am sure that if you love this girl, you want it to be for her and she probably does to, but that doesn't mean it will work. Why not give both of you a chance to see what real Navy life is like and how it fits both of you as individuals and as a couple?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot

Far be it for me to give relationship advice, but just keep in mind OCS and a 7 month (or more) deployment are very different animals. That said, I'm jealous you'll have someone to watch a dog for you.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
In my humble opinion, it depends greatly on the woman/nature of your relationship. I've been going out with my girlfriend for over 2 years now.... We met about 3 months before I shipped off to OCS. My OCS experience was 22-23 weeks long (long story). She was incredibly supportive and faithful for every second of it. She sent me pictures, cards, and letters on a weekly basis (after the first couple weeks of course :) ). She took time off to fly up during the dining outs and see me. She was never needy, and didn't expect anything from me, other than to just write or call when I had a chance (which wasn't often).

Usually every weekend you get an opportunity to make a 5 minute phone call, or get a chance to go out to your car to make a cell phone call. This is the only time I got to talk to her until candio phase, then we talked every day/every other day.

I think it takes a woman that is extremely independant... In other words, her life doesn't revolve around yours. She has her own things she is pursuing and going on in her life to keep her busy. From what I hear, the women that have the capability of being independant (or have their own life) are the ones that make the best military wives.

In my case, my girlfriend helped me through OCS. Getting a letter from her put me in a great mood and took my mind out of the pits. Throughout API and Primary, she helped me study by making flash cards and quizzing me. I honestly contribute a great deal of success (making it through all this) to her support.

On the flip side of this, if you are (or suspect you are) in a toxic relationship, you need get out... NOW. A nasty relationship can have the OPPOSITE effect on your training. Trust me, i've seen it. I've seen a few guys get "Dear John" letters in OCS... I had a friend that was cheated on while in OCS....

The thing about OCS is, that even without all of this extraneous stuff going on, your morale will already be low... You will be exhausted; mentally, physically, and emotionally. If you tack on a relationship going down the tube, or a cheating girlfriend, often times it is enough to push someone over the edge... I've seen 3 DOR's that happened under the stress of a failing/sh*tty relationship.

Think about how stressful it could be and you'll understand why.... Everyday you are getting the crap beat out of you, and you are thinking about her.... What is she doing right now? I haven't talked to her in over a week since we fought... Did she cheat on me? Is she talking to her ex? All it does is build anxiety and desperation... You desperately want to talk to her and 'fix' it... You can't do ANYTHING from the confines of OCS... ZERO contact, and EVERYDAY you are stuck, contemplating it for hours and hours at a time.... You get my point.

Talk to her about OCS, and tell her your concerns. Decide which category your relataionship falls in and act accordingly.