• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Registering a Vehicle in IL, while in CA

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I am going to be buying a used car soon... most likely from a private sale, possibly from a dealership.

I just sold my other car, and currently have it's registered IL license plates. I am an IL resident.

Is it possible to register a car when I'm not in the state? And then transfer the plates over? Or am I locked into registering a car here in CA and putting CA plates on it?

Anyone done anything similar, or have any advice?

PigzFly

If you are a resident of IL and have a mailing address there it can be done. I am not sure about whether or not you have to do it in person (in IL) or if you can mail in the title and registration paperwork. Depending on the vehicle it can make things less of a hassle, considering CA requires smog and stuff. But it may make it more of a hassle with insurance. I had a CA plated truck when I was going to school in Minnesota. I had to have CA insurance with a secondary MN coverage plan because the truck was primarily in MN. But all in all, it should be doable. Check with the IL DMV equivalent, they should be able to tell you.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
If you are a resident of IL and have a mailing address there it can be done. I am not sure about whether or not you have to do it in person (in IL) or if you can mail in the title and registration paperwork. Depending on the vehicle it can make things less of a hassle, considering CA requires smog and stuff. But it may make it more of a hassle with insurance. I had a CA plated truck when I was going to school in Minnesota. I had to have CA insurance with a secondary MN coverage plan because the truck was primarily in MN. But all in all, it should be doable. Check with the IL DMV equivalent, they should be able to tell you.

Yeah, I'm looking at buying an older jeep or truck and dont want to have to deal with SMOG crap... my parents still live at my HOR address... but I don't know if anyone has any experience with IL, and if they require me to physically bring the car to the DMV, or go to the DMV in person...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I'm looking at buying an older jeep or truck and dont want to have to deal with SMOG crap... my parents still live at my HOR address... but I don't know if anyone has any experience with IL, and if they require me to physically bring the car to the DMV, or go to the DMV in person...

I can't speak for IL, but for FL, this shouldn't be too big a deal, you'll just have to wait for the mail to catch up with you. Plus you don't pay some tax (which was referenced in another thread by FLTPAY) and I found recently in my research for a used car I just bought. I'd guess IL is probably military friendly like FL. I found a bunch of info on the FL state websites about this, so I'm guessing IL has similar resources.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
I did this while I was in VA.

I didnt have to go back to IL in person but it was a huge paperwork hassle and i remember it taking a while as well. But that was like 2 years ago so i dont really remember too much else. I called up the DMV and talked to their military division (but i still got the run around).

Good luck man.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I was working in Ohio for months at a time while my residence was in MS. All I had to do was call the tax collector in MS, and they mailed everything I needed to my temp. work address.

I would guess it would work the same in other states...especially for military.

YMMV. Good luck.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
THATS IT!

i got the run around to the tax collector! i could have sworn i had to talk to the DMV too though for some reason... <blocks out bad memories>

Hursel110

None
I am an IL resident, living in Oklahoma right now although I've lived in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Florida. I've kept Illinois tags on my car for 10 years now. The easiest way to do it is to have the DMV mail all of the annual registration paperwork to your parents, or someone you trust who lives at your "home" address.

Brian

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I can't tell you about transferring the plates, but I DID re-register my AZ vehicle for another year while living in Texas, I simply went online changed my MAILING address (kept the residence address to what it was) and then re-registered online. They mailed it to my old mailing address but once I called em and corrected that, the new stickers arrived at my place in Texas. Not sure how the plates thing complicates it, but i'd make a call. I'm still driving my AZ vehicle now in Florida, and it's been a year since I've live in AZ.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Purdue, it is possibley you will have to get a VIN check done by local cops, maybe get something notarized and send it to the DMV. Happened a few times to me.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
If you are in CA for more than a week (not sure the exact number), then you have to register your vehicle to CA. When you move back to IL, then register it to IL then.

Check out: http://dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm

From your own link
NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Ah, well there you go then. I'm still looking at it from a civilian perspective.

Make sure you get your paperwork in order though, California's a b!tch.

There's also that new cell phone ban rule too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What are the fees about? While stationed there, I was never anywhere near a state run office and didn't have a problem. Is there a second sticker or piece of paper like in HI for out-of-state vehicles?