• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Registering a Vehicle in IL, while in CA

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
So out of state registration seems easy to get around. What about states that require state inspection, such as TX, how would you get around that living out of state? I dont see myself driving 1500 miles a year back to TX just to get it inspected.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So out of state registration seems easy to get around. What about states that require state inspection, such as TX, how would you get around that living out of state? I dont see myself driving 1500 miles a year back to TX just to get it inspected.

Back when some FL counties had inspections, all it took was a phone call saying I didn't live in the county. Done and done.

PigzFly

What are the fees about? While stationed there, I was never anywhere near a state run office and didn't have a problem. Is there a second sticker or piece of paper like in HI for out-of-state vehicles?

No. The way the info is set up on the DMV website looks that way, but it is misleading. (Youd understand if you have ever been to the DMV here and seen the people they have working there.) There are no fees or any stickers for out of state vehicles. You pay taxes and fees when you register the vehicle with the home state. As long as the tags are kept current you are good to go.

If you do register the vehicle in CA, I HIGHLY recommend renewing your tags/license/anything, by mail. Even the most efficient and non-crowded of the DMV's here suck!! A total PITA to go to. Just my advice. Do everything you can by mail.