• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Registered Traveler Program - Good or Bad?

nugget81

pilot
A couple of years ago the TSA started a program with the intentions of letting frequent air travelers pass through security with less hassle. It started at 5 major U.S. airports with 10,000 people registered in the initial program. Recently the program has gathered some attention as plans to expand are in progress. It will be run by private companies with cooperation from the TSA, and it is now called the Registered Traveler program. It is currently in use in Orlando, and other U.S. airports are strongly considering its use. Here's how it works*:

1. Any interested passenger would have to fill out an application that includes specific personal information, like name, address and date of birth.
2. The passenger then would have to agree to submit him or herself to one or more biometric security checks, such as a complete set of 10 fingerprints or an eye scan.
3. That information would be turned over to the Transportation Security Administration, which conducts a comprehensive background check and either approves or rejects the application.
4. If approved, the passenger could receive a special identification card loaded with a microchip containing the biometric information. That person could then proceed to a specially designated security line, where the information in the card is compared with an on-site fingerprint or iris scan.
5. Once cleared, the passenger would go through a special security checkpoint, bypassing secondary checks like a pat-down or wand swipe unless they set off the first checkpoint alarm.
6. Participants would pay an annual membership fee, likely to be around $75 or $80.
7. Anyone, yes anyone, is eligible to apply.

So what I want to know is whether or not you guys think this is a good idea. Will we be using less resources on our "registered travelers", which in turn, can be used to scrutinize "higher risk" passengers? Are we allowing potential terrorists the opportunity to bypass our security more easily?

*Note: Information gathered from www.azcentral.com and Sky Harbor International Airport
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0820airport20.html

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've heard about this, and it's interesting. What really ticks me off is why we don't already do this for Military members. They were doing it for a bit after 9/11, but it stopped. Most times, I've asked the ticket person to note that I'm military, and I don't get the extra attention, but one time in LAX, I got stopped and was told I had to go through the long line because my ticket was purchased the previous day. Yup, it sure was, since I was on ORDERS!!! I think it required too much work to actually screen me, so they just let me through, but initially they did not want to wave me by, even when I did wave my ID card and protest a bit.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
I swear that anytime I show my military ID I am "randomly" selected for the additional screening. Man that pisses me off.

nugget81

pilot
Since not too many people are responding to this one, I'll voice my opinion. I see some potential in the program. It could very well be an answer to increasing security wait times, especially in a time of increasing passenger loads and TSA cutbacks. However, I don't really buy into the fact that anyone can participate in the program. The TSA's original program only allowed the most frequent travelers the opportunity to apply. With this new version, anyone and everyone can apply - including terrorists. It doesn't seem far fetched that some terrorist can get ahold of this pass. The biometrics are designed to prevent tampering and theft, but the problem lies with the intial application and screening. How many of the Sept. 11th terrorists were not on the watch lists? How many had gone through flight training in our flight schools? These problems, while not easily solved, have tremendous implications to security at our airports.

Also, why do we need a Registered Traveler program anyway? What benefit to society it there to be had? While some people may be annoyed at the fact that they must go through additional screening, it has become a necessary evil associated with air travel. I personally have no problem with going through security. If it means that my flight and everyone else's flights will be that much safer, I am happy to cooperate. The only benefit I can see of this program is the monitary benefit to the private corporation that runs it and the airports that get a cut of the profits. Am I wrong?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nugget81 said:
Since not too many people are responding to this one, I'll voice my opinion. I see some potential in the program. It could very well be an answer to increasing security wait times, especially in a time of increasing passenger loads and TSA cutbacks. However, I don't really buy into the fact that anyone can participate in the program. The TSA's original program only allowed the most frequent travelers the opportunity to apply. With this new version, anyone and everyone can apply - including terrorists. It doesn't seem far fetched that some terrorist can get ahold of this pass. The biometrics are designed to prevent tampering and theft, but the problem lies with the intial application and screening. How many of the Sept. 11th terrorists were not on the watch lists? How many had gone through flight training in our flight schools? These problems, while not easily solved, have tremendous implications to security at our airports.

Also, why do we need a Registered Traveler program anyway? What benefit to society it there to be had? While some people may be annoyed at the fact that they must go through additional screening, it has become a necessary evil associated with air travel. I personally have no problem with going through security. If it means that my flight and everyone else's flights will be that much safer, I am happy to cooperate. The only benefit I can see of this program is the monitary benefit to the private corporation that runs it and the airports that get a cut of the profits. Am I wrong?
Regardless of who profits, the benefit is for professional people whose time is more valuable than the average joe going on vacation. If they can pay a fee for increased convenience or less time waiting, then so much the better. That is the essence of America.

Brett

UMichfly

pilot
None
Gatordev,

I had the very same thing happen to me in Honolulu this last week. The person who did the "special screening" told me that I should've told the gate agent that I was on orders and they would've exempted me from the special attention due to the last minute tickets. Might be worth trying next time.

snizo

Supply Officer
So ... what? A terrorist submits the application to see if they can gaurantee themselves not to get a 'random' test?

Regardless of who profits, the benefit is for professional people whose time is more valuable than the average joe going on vacation. If they can pay a fee for increased convenience or less time waiting, then so much the better. That is the essence of America.
One person's time is not more valuable than any other person's time. Dr. Joe's time might be more valuable to Acme, Inc. but it shouldn't be any more important from the government's point of view...

Sounds pretty stupid to me....though I'm sure it is a push from the airlines to allow their most active customers an easier time. Lines at the airport suck - but they aren't bad enough to prevent many people from flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
snizo said:
So ... what? A terrorist submits the application to see if they can gaurantee themselves not to get a 'random' test?

One person's time is not more valuable than any other person's time. Dr. Joe's time might be more valuable to Acme, Inc. but it shouldn't be any more important from the government's point of view...

Sounds pretty stupid to me....though I'm sure it is a push from the airlines to allow their most active customers an easier time. Lines at the airport suck - but they aren't bad enough to prevent many people from flying.
People pay for privileges all the time. I guarantee that my time is worth less than Bill Gates', and more than some drifter collecting change at an intersection. Call it opportunity cost, from an economic standpoint. I'm pretty sure an hour of my work is more productive than the drifter's hour. This isn't supposed to be some class distinction thing - it's just how the world works. You're right in that the government shouldn't/doesn't care. Whomever has the cash (and passes the screening) gets increased convenience.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
From a moral standpoint, its now worse than those liscense plates that say your a donor to your state's highway patrol widows fund. They'll let you off for minor violations.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Paying for convienence is fine and dandy with private corporations. When you start talking about the government, it turns into a form of regressive taxation.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I'm pretty sure an hour of my work is more productive than the drifter's hour.

On a tangent... I saw a report once about so-called "homeless" and how they beg for money. The amount of cash some of these guys make is staggering... AND they don't pay taxes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
UMichfly said:
Gatordev,

I had the very same thing happen to me in Honolulu this last week. The person who did the "special screening" told me that I should've told the gate agent that I was on orders and they would've exempted me from the special attention due to the last minute tickets. Might be worth trying next time.

Yeah, usually that's what I do, and it works. I've been popped a couple of time recently because I've had one way tickets that were bought the day before. They usually say at the ticket counter that I've been selected, but I show the ID and/or orders, and it all goes away. It just seemed that the LAX people didn't have a clue as to how everyone else seems to be doing it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
On a tangent... I saw a report once about so-called "homeless" and how they beg for money. The amount of cash some of these guys make is staggering... AND they don't pay taxes.
There is a guy who I occasionally see on a street corner that obviously duct-tapes a cast to his leg every morning.

Thing is, people don't want to call them on it. I've seen it just once. A guy asked me for some change and a lady started yelling at him and telling me that she sees him there all the time, and that "he's rich."

Professional beggars have been around forever; cripple makers had a huge business in the Middle Ages. Disable someone and they'd be set for life!