• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

thomjay89

I know my OR is in and out of town nearly every week and it is definitely difficult to get in touch with him...however that being said I think people are forgetting how valuable the processors are. I just recently completed my application and I can assure you my package would have been a mess if it wasn't for all the help I received from my processor. Just because your OR is busy doesn't mean that there aren't people around that can help you....

thomjay89

Good call on developing a relationship with your processor. I just finished up my kit and my processor was more than helpful. Personally I don;t think processors get enough credit for the amount of work they do. Sure it's tough to get a hold of my OR at times, but my processor was always available when I needed a question answered, and if he didn't know the answer he knew where I could find it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to repeat what tomjay has posted above, but if it means anything coming from someone with experience on the inside, he is right about the civ processors. The Processors are civil servants that may have been in the job for many many years. These days, I expect it is near impossible to find one that has less experience then any Officer Recruiter. While their actual job description might seem narrow and less than helpful to the average applicant, they have a breath of knowledge and experience that should be tapped as a resource. At the NRDs I worked at or supported as a Reservist, we pushed a lot down to the Processors. You would do well to ask your questions of the Processor. If his command does not permit him to go out of his box, he will tell you. Some things he just can not help with. But chances are very good he can answer most all the same questions you would ask of a recruiter. They don't travel and are at their desks all day but for lunch and a couple smoke breaks.

Kalico

A quick question. I know this was brought up in another thread. I tried contacting the nearest Officer recruiter about wishing to take the ASTB and they told me that the Navy is currently not accepting or processing application packages from people with non-technical degrees. (I was Political Science) I tried a different recruiter and got the same message. Is this door expected to continue to be shut for awhile?

I have a B.B.A. in Finance and have an application going to the next board. They may just be not wanting to waste time because of how competetive the environment is right now. If you just keep the pressure on them they may eventually crack. I would try and get your recruiter to just let you take the ASTB and then go from there. Put the pressure on them. If they see you are determined they will be more likely to put in an app for you. The ASTB only takes up a small portion of their time if any. If you blow it out of the water they may change their mind and let you apply with them. If they don't find another recruiter and go through him/her.

VNE

I agree with Bobola. When I contacted my OR with a B.A. in General Studies, he would barely give me the time of day. I took the ASTB and crushed it. Now he considers me a very competitive applicant. Just do what you have to do to get the test over with.

Kanjelman7

Hello everyone,

I finally made my first attempt to contact an OR yesterday but was greeted with a voicemail on the other end. I left my name, alma mater (UCSD), major (general biology), and GPA (3.7) and billets that I was interested in (no particular order: AMDO, intel, supply,NFO).

I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but I've been studying lightly for it. I figured I'll increase my effort once I get a hold of the OR and get a definite test date so I have a goal deadline to be working towards (so that I know that my studying won't be in vain).

I read the first post of this thread that persistence is key, but how can I find that balance without coming off as too pushy/annoying? For example, how often should I contact the OR if I keep getting voicemails? (maybe every 3 days? once a week?)

I tried to use the official site (http://www.navy.com/locator.html) to find other ORs within my zipcode (and I have used other close zipcodes too) but it seems that there is only one OR in my vicinity.

I've come to a halt and I'm not sure what to do. As more time passes, my anxiety increases. Should I fax that same OR my 1-page resume and 400-word motivational statement? Do I need to be more aggressive and attempt a walk-in at their office?

I'm eager to serve my country, and I've even considered enlisting to go the "mustang" route if need be (if I'm desperate enough). In the meantime as a recent college grad, I've been filling my time with part-time work and volunteer work until my chance comes up.

If it's of any use, I am located in San Diego (I know, right?)

Thank you for your patience to read my somewhat long post, btw.

nugget61

pilot
I finally made my first attempt to contact an OR yesterday but was greeted with a voicemail on the other end.

That'll happen a lot. Sucks, but truth.

I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but I've been studying lightly for it.
I read the first post of this thread that persistence is key, but how can I find that balance without coming off as too pushy/annoying? For example, how often should I contact the OR if I keep getting voicemails? (maybe every 3 days? once a week?)

1) Good plan 2) Call everyday. Nothing says you have to leave a voicemail or use the OR that the processor sends you to (I assume thats a good size office with multiple ORs) every time you call. Just keep calling till you get a voice, or drop by their office. Just know they are out a lot doing promotional gigs.

I tried to use the official site (http://www.navy.com/locator.html) to find other ORs within my zipcode (and I have used other close zipcodes too) but it seems that there is only one OR in my vicinity.
I've come to a halt and I'm not sure what to do. As more time passes, my anxiety increases. Should I fax that same OR my 1-page resume and 400-word motivational statement? Do I need to be more aggressive and attempt a walk-in at their office?

1) That'll happen. Not a lot of the offices. 2) NO 3) You can, but be prepared for no one to be there.

I'm eager to serve my country, and I've even considered enlisting to go the "mustang" route if need be (if I'm desperate enough).

Good dedication, but you probably don't want to go that route - its been talked on here a lot before, so search it if you seriously consider it.

Mheng

Hello everyone,

I have been reading these forums for awhile now and this is my first post. So far I have been trying to contact a recruiter for the past 3 weeks leaving voice mails and even going to the offices, but have not been able to get into contact with one. I m currently studying civil engineering with a 3.22 gpa I was wondering if anyone has a recruiter close to the LA area that has been helpful to them.

crickSLC

Hello everyone,

I have been reading these forums for awhile now and this is my first post. So far I have been trying to contact a recruiter for the past 3 weeks leaving voice mails and even going to the offices, but have not been able to get into contact with one. I m currently studying civil engineering with a 3.22 gpa I was wondering if anyone has a recruiter close to the LA area that has been helpful to them.

I apologize if I’m reiterating what others have already said, but I thought I’d give my two cents.

I have been in contact with my OR for the past few weeks and even scheduled the ASTB. I think part of the reason he was responsive to me, was because his personality is very respectful and professional. I loved the idea of becoming a Navy Officer before meeting him and felt 10-times better after meeting him. Also, I did the “pre-screen” with the Officer headquarters out of Denver, prior to calling my recruiter. After doing this, they passed my information on and I also told my recruiter, in my initial message, that I had already done this. Any pre-qual’s that you can do, will help. The number and quality of applicants right now are so high, that they aren’t going to make it a priority to get back to someone that says…”Hi LT Johnson, I have some questions about the Navy”.

Remember, that first voicemail is a first impression – so make it count :).

There has a been bit of talk here recently regarding recruiters and the attention that some applicants are getting from them. I am posting this to hopefully clear up some confusion and maybe get some folks on the right track.

First of all, your recruiter is busy. Not only does he or she have to actually recruit, but most afternoons we spend a lot of time sorting through leads from community college dropouts and take hours on the phone crushing the dreams of Top Gun wannabe's (just like we were) because they have a 2.7 in medieval french literature. On top of that we have "ground jobs" like legal officer or PRT (PFA) coordinator and these things take time, they also have attention from the front office (CO, XO) so they tend to have priority.

Secondly, most of you here on this forum are trying to be pilots; the Navy is not in great need of pilots. Yea, I know that in the last month they needed more applications but that is a small bump in demand and there were more than enough kits already in. The big picture is, we are not goaled for pilots, we get pilot/nfo applications every single day and the vast majority of them are not competetive; even the competetive ones are no guarantee to get in.

Third, once you are in the application process, you need to develop a good relationship with your processor. If you don't know who it is, ask who it is and deal with them; they are the experts and the paperwork and it is their job to get the stuff turned in properly, not the recruiter.

So, let's put it all together. Your busy recruiter who does not get a lot of love for putting a pilot in the Navy, who is trying to put together a govt. case for an admin board and sweet talk a bunch of engineers into signing up and who's (grammar?) job is not actually putting together your paperwork, doesn't call you back. Par for the course, get used to it. I am not saying this to be rude; I am saying this so you realize that your future is in your hands. If you want it, go get it. Be persistent, be assertive, be proactive and be respectful. If you make yourselve more competetive with high GPA, Leadership activities, sports, flight time and a high ASTB score, you will merit more attention, but don't expect us to hold your hand every minute.

As for SEALS, the situation is even harder. SPECWAR takes maybe 10-12 SEAL officers a year. Of that number, maybe 5-7 will be civilian. Only 5-7 non-prior SEALS per year!! So, are you one of the top 7 biggest studs to apply for SEAL in the entire US? Some of you just may be, but I haven't met you yet. My office has never put in a SEAL officer and it has not been for lack of applicants so please forgive our lack of zeal to pursue your kit, it isn't personal, we just have to prioritize, and since we are not goaled for SEALS, like pilots, it is tough to spend a lot of time where we just don't make any money. BUT, it is yours for the taking if you are persistent and get your paperwork taken care of.

In summary:

1. Thou shalt know thy (thine?) processor and communicate with them.

2. Thou shalt be persistent but respectful.

3. Thou shalt apply early and often.

4. Thou shalt know that thine destiny is in your hands and thou hast nobody to blame but thine self for thine future.

Finally, if you are having a serious problem with your recruiter, I mean serious, like he was profane or refuses to apply you, PM me and I will intercede to see what the problem is; just be prepared to be field rejected if you are not in any way competetive.

God Bless You All.

Go Navy.
As a officer recruiter I can tell you we have hundreds of applicants and will have a hard time keeping up with every one of you. I always say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I find myself helping the applicants who show the most motivation first. Don't feel like your recruiter is ignoring you call back stop by send a email.

exNavyOffRec

In addition to the above NRC has done a reorganization sending many of the officers on recruiting into the field as division officers so the number you are calling may or may not be good. If you are attempting to reach an officer recruiter you have a few options.
1) call the nearest NRD HQ and ask for the Officer assistant chief recruiter/officer recruiter
2) go to the nearest Navy Recruiting Station and ask for the number for their division officer

FTSN Washington

As a officer recruiter I can tell you we have hundreds of applicants and will have a hard time keeping up with every one of you. I always say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I find myself helping the applicants who show the most motivation first. Don't feel like your recruiter is ignoring you call back stop by send a email.
How do you get the opnav 1420/1 officer application? Is there a site for the form?