• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

beaverslayer

pilot
threadjack

While we are on the topic of recruiters, I just wanted to say that all three recruiters I have dealt with in my application process were great men, and would go to the moon and back to get me into OCS. Chief Terry Autry worked with me for over a year and a half before he retired, and did everything in his power to get me accepted as quickly as possible, including an 8 hour roadtrip to get me to the nearest MEPS. I just met his replacement today, and he is another great, competent guy who would do anything he could to make my entrance into the Navy a little smoother. For all the recruiters on here, thank you for all that you do! Keep up the good work!

/threadjack.

focusedftw

Recruitment for AMDO's is that a competitive field to try to enter as well? What are the stats as far as how many they bring on per year? Just curious. Not interested in becoming a pilot, even though I think its a pretty exciting opportunity.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AMDO was slated to go away, as in NONE in the Navy! Recruiting for AMDO had dried up to maybe 30 nationwide over the last several years. By now they many not be taking any through OCS. Hopefully someone with more recent CREDIBLE info will speak up.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I don't have anything credible.

I just wanted to pat myself on the back for having a Sticky thread that has lasted for years.

Thanks for keeping these guys up to date, Wink.

Dig

Hi there, and thank you for creating this great thread!
I wanted to see if you guys thought I was competitive for an SNA/NFO slot. I had an awful experience at a local University of Texas school over the course of 5 years. My transcript is riddled with semesters that I had to drop most of my classes or withdraw completely in addition to a fair number of drop fails and F's. I had two grand parents, and two very close friends pass away in addition to three hurricanes that came along and severely damaged my own and family members' homes along the Gulf coast. I dropped everything and booked it with my brother to help my grandmother/uncle out in Milton, FL, and I also did the same thing to help out an aunt up in East Texas a few years back. I withdrew both semesters as I was gone helping clean up and rebuild decks, patch up roofs, and clear downed trees. I have no qualms about doing what I did, but I wish that I didn't have the GPA following me around. When I left, I had a 2.28 GPA as a mathematics major. I had A's in all of my math courses, though. :)

I've decided to finish up my degree through Excelsior College while holding down a full time job to help out my parents that are retired and having financial trouble. I tested out of most of my courses and should be finishing my degree here this summer. My eyesight leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately, but I am within preop requirements for a vision waiver, so I plan on having that done next month. I am also saving up money to get my PPL at a local institution. I'd still love to fly if I can't fly for the military. I volunteer a lot on the weekends and helped out a great deal in my home town when we got hit by a storm a year or two ago. I plan on graduating with a high 3 or 4.0 GPA with a BS in Business (concentration in general business). I grew up in the Milton/Pensacola area and practically lived at the NAS Pensacola National Naval Aviation Museum. This has been my dream for a very long time, but a combination of life and my own irresponsibility dealt me a tough hand, but theres no way I'm giving up on it. I'll be 25 this May, and I won't be able to apply for a PRK waiver until right before my 26th birthday, from what I understand, so I'll be cutting it close.

Would any of you recruiters give me the time of day given my online degree and past? Thanks for any answers, fellas.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Dig,

I'm not a recruiter by any means so you may not want to hear this from me, however, if you want it bad enough then I say you should go for it no matter what! As you will read on here the Navy looks at the "whole" person not just GPA. I think you should contact a recruiter by going onto the navy site and looking up the phone number of the recruiter in your area. Schedule an appointment to take the ASTB. My recruiter didn't even ask about my GPA until I took the ASTB and did decent on it. If he/she does than explain your situation and explain to them what you are doing to make yourself more competitive. I have heard there have been people on here that got SNA with a 2.2 GPA, however, you must be competitive in every aspect you can. That being said your GPA might not be that competitive but your ASTB, volunteer work, motivational statement, and LOR's could bring that GPA up to make you competitive. Instead of pursuing a PPL which you probably wouldn't have complete by the time you apply try working on a Master's in Math and destroy those grades to help offset your current GPA. This "type" of question has been asked so frequently in the future try the search engine because there is a ton of great information on here. Good Luck to you!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Just to clarify some errors in your post... back in the day a 2.2 would fly for a pilot slot application. The minimum to even apply for a pilot slot now is 2.5.

Dig

Twobecrazy and OUSOONER, thank you for the info. I have researched the commissioning process a great deal in the last year and a half, and I have most things in order on that front. I was just wondering how willing to work with me some of the recruiters on here would be given my situation. I do appreciate your answers and advice, guys. Thanks again! :)

michaelcarter

My recruiter is very vague when he answers my questions, I get the feeling he is not telling me the whole truth or that he might be lying, is there any merit in this or is that just the style of a recruiter?

bhamlen1

Can I believe my recruiter?

I have been applying for OCS since November. I scored well on my astb, AQR 5, PFAR 5, FOFAR 5, and OAR 50. I know it isn't outstanding by any means but my recruiter says it is competitive. I graduated from Kutztown University of Pennsylvania with a degree in Marketing and a 2.76 gpa, which I know stinks, and my recruiters say is the down side to my package. I have a lot of really good references from previous employers and personal, one of whom was an Lieutenant Commander attack Pilot.

The first program I applied for was Pilot, then NFO, the Supply Chain. My application will first be sent to Philadelphia for recommendation, then sent to Tennessee for the March OCS board and ultimately Pro Rec, at which time I will have to get a physical and complete my PRT.

My recruiter says my package looks good, I have no priors, dui's, or drug and alcohol abuse history. However I realize how competitive it is, especially for the piloting program. Can someone with experience in the matter please give me an honest estimate of my chances of getting into the Piloting program? the NFO program? or the supply chain program?

Any input would be really helpful because I don't feel like the recruiter is being honest with my chances and is just pushing my application along.

Thanks

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have been applying for OCS since November. I scored well on my astb, AQR 5, PFAR 5, FOFAR 5, and OAR 50. I know it isn't outstanding by any means but my recruiter says it is competitive. I graduated from Kutztown University of Pennsylvania with a degree in Marketing and a 2.76 gpa, which I know stinks, and my recruiters say is the down side to my package. I have a lot of really good references from previous employers and personal, one of whom was an Lieutenant Commander attack Pilot.

The first program I applied for was Pilot, then NFO, the Supply Chain. My application will first be sent to Philadelphia for recommendation, then sent to Tennessee for the March OCS board and ultimately Pro Rec, at which time I will have to get a physical and complete my PRT.

My recruiter says my package looks good, I have no priors, dui's, or drug and alcohol abuse history. However I realize how competitive it is, especially for the piloting program. Can someone with experience in the matter please give me an honest estimate of my chances of getting into the Piloting program? the NFO program? or the supply chain program?

Any input would be really helpful because I don't feel like the recruiter is being honest with my chances and is just pushing my application along.

Thanks

Dude, don't make that mistake. He isn't an enlisted recruiter talking a big game to young guys to bump his numbers. Officer recruiters don't have quotas to fill, and even if they did, they get TONS of qualified applicants who are very qualified, some probably a lot more than you.

If it's so competitive, then why would he lie and say you're a good applicant? Think about that. It makes no sense. They don't bullshit BECAUSE it's so competitive and they can easily trim the fat of those who don't stand a chance. If he says you're good, you're good.

As for asking what are my chances? Go find a magic 8 ball, dude.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
To the OP: The pilot program is one of the more competitive programs. If I were you, I might consider retaking the ASTB with a 2.76 GPA. You can always submit your package, then retake the ASTB if you are a non-select. In any case, good luck.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I have a 2.9 in Theater, and I'm waiting in the pool to start API (At MATSG-21, as I am a Marine). I had a better ASTB score, but that doesn't matter to the Corps, only that you get the mins. A 2.X GPA is weak, but there are other stuff they look at. If he thought you needed to retake the ASTB he would tell you. Why would he set you up for failure?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
No one can tell you your chances.

However, you obviously feel like your package could use improvement, so that begs the question: why not study harder and re-take the ASTB?