• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome aboard. Air Warriors will definitely help you decided on a course of action. Your question is very open ended though. If you have very good SAT/ACT scores and a good class standing then you may be able to get a NROTC scholarship. Talk to the NROTC recruiter at the local Navy Recruiting District Headquarters. Do not speak with an enlisted programs recruiter you might find at high school or at the local strip mall. Most are ok and will point you to the right guy, but many will just complicate things for you. If you do not want to go NROTC, have a scholarship or money is not an issue, then go to college on your own and then apply to OCS. If you have very good grades in college you can apply for BDCP after two years and get paid to finish school. It is a great deal. Do a search on AW for details. OCS/BDCP guarantees a flight spot before you commit to the Navy. In NROTC you compete for the job you want in your senior year of college. What you will be doing in the Navy is not guaranteed when you accept the scholarship. The vast majority of midshipmen get what they want though.

Hi.

I was trying to find out how long OR's usually take to get back to someone. I called about a week and a half ago to give them my information, and a few days ago I got a call from an enlistment recruiter, who had no idea I had already given my info. He said he would put me in again (so I'd be in the system twice) but I was told I'd get a call last Monday.

I don't want to keep harassing them if they are busy, but I really want to get started on the process. Should I try calling another office further away from my house, or call back the same people? This has been the longest week ever.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Hi.

I was trying to find out how long OR's usually take to get back to someone. I called about a week and a half ago to give them my information, and a few days ago I got a call from an enlistment recruiter, who had no idea I had already given my info. He said he would put me in again (so I'd be in the system twice) but I was told I'd get a call last Monday.

I don't want to keep harassing them if they are busy, but I really want to get started on the process. Should I try calling another office further away from my house, or call back the same people? This has been the longest week ever.

Did you talk to your recruiter yet (the officer recruiter, not enlisted) or did you give the info to someone else the first time? I'd drop an email follow-up and then keep waiting for a little while.

Beware: You've only gotten a taste of the waiting.

Did you talk to your recruiter yet (the officer recruiter, not enlisted) or did you give the info to someone else the first time? I'd drop an email follow-up and then keep waiting for a little while.

Beware: You've only gotten a taste of the waiting.

Thanks for the reply.

No, I've only talked to the enlistment recruiters. I did exchange a couple emails with an OR in another state, but I don't think he can help me now since I've moved back.

I don't have the email of anyone here so I would have to call the same number again (and they'll probably take my info again) but I was considering trying the next city over which isn't too far, maybe my home office's OR is out. I just wanted to know if this was the norm, or if they just don't want me :(

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Thanks for the reply.

No, I've only talked to the enlistment recruiters. I did exchange a couple emails with an OR in another state, but I don't think he can help me now since I've moved back.

I don't have the email of anyone here so I would have to call the same number again (and they'll probably take my info again) but I was considering trying the next city over which isn't too far, maybe my home office's OR is out. I just wanted to know if this was the norm, or if they just don't want me :(
That's tough. In my experience, you need to use a mix of phone and email to get all of the communication done that you need.

You want to take the ASTB ASAP. Once you do that and, hopefully, show that you're a legit candidate, you will get a lot more attention. But obviously you need to talk to the OR first to set that up.

If they said they'd call Monday and didn't call, you gave them a week. Call again. Be polite, ask for an email for their OR if you can, and search for your NRD's website online--you might get more info there.

Good luck

DISCLAIMER--this is the opinion of a guy who has gone through the process and joined BDCP, but I did it at a different NRD and I have never been a recruiter. So my experience is limited by those factors.

That's tough. In my experience, you need to use a mix of phone and email to get all of the communication done that you need.

You want to take the ASTB ASAP. Once you do that and, hopefully, show that you're a legit candidate, you will get a lot more attention. But obviously you need to talk to the OR first to set that up.

If they said they'd call Monday and didn't call, you gave them a week. Call again. Be polite, ask for an email for their OR if you can, and search for your NRD's website online--you might get more info there.

Good luck

DISCLAIMER--this is the opinion of a guy who has gone through the process and joined BDCP, but I did it at a different NRD and I have never been a recruiter. So my experience is limited by those factors.

No worries, I appreciate getting any info I can get my hands on. I don't feel too confident about the ASTB yet but I will take it twice anyway because I want a slam dunk packet :)

Oh, if I wanted to take the ASTB, couldn't an enlistment recruiter help set that up for me? I was looking at the navy-officer website, and it said to fill out the application first, but someone posted here that you would first take the ASTB. Maybe if I just take the test first it would help get my foot in the door?

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Oh, if I wanted to take the ASTB, couldn't an enlistment recruiter help set that up for me? I was looking at the navy-officer website, and it said to fill out the application first, but someone posted here that you would first take the ASTB. Maybe if I just take the test first it would help get my foot in the door?

I filled out the application first and then took the ASTB later. In fact, the ASTB was the last thing I did, and then we submitted my package that day. That's not normal though, I don't think. My OR said he usually considers the ASTB as the first step in the process, and then everything else comes after. I don't know why my case was different. I would imagine that if you took the ASTB first and did well, your OR would be more inclined to give you attention, since you would seem like a better prospect.

Did you try calling the number for officer recruiters on the Navy website, or did you just call your local enlisted recruiter?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
No worries, I appreciate getting any info I can get my hands on. I don't feel too confident about the ASTB yet but I will take it twice anyway because I want a slam dunk packet :)

Your most recent score will be the one that counts. Your best bet would be to study hard, take it when you are ready and nail it the first time.

From my practice books, I think I'd do decently on the ASTB, but I'm sure I could do better with more study time, which is why I'll probably take it twice.

I called the Officer phone number on navy.com, gave him my info, and then an enlistment recruiter called me back but didn't know I had talked to anyone yet. I think this was because I "requested more info" at the same time I called them, so he was probably replying to the website request, rather than following up my phone call, if that makes sense.

I'll call and set up an ASTB though, hopefully they'll put me in contact with the right people along the way.

Thanks again for all the replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From my practice books, I think I'd do decently on the ASTB, but I'm sure I could do better with more study time, which is why I'll probably take it twice.

I called the Officer phone number on navy.com, gave him my info, and then an enlistment recruiter called me back but didn't know I had talked to anyone yet. I think this was because I "requested more info" at the same time I called them, so he was probably replying to the website request, rather than following up my phone call, if that makes sense.

I'll call and set up an ASTB though, hopefully they'll put me in contact with the right people along the way.

Thanks again for all the replies.

When you call most 800 numbers, especially the ones in magazines, on web pages, or on posters, or fill out an interest or prelim app, you are sent to a National Leads Office. They are not recruiters and are probably contract civilians.They are supposed to take the info you give them, decide who needs to talk to you, and get your info to the appropriate recruiter. Sometimes the Leads guys do not properly assign your info, giving it to an enlisted recruiter first. Even when it gets to the right officer recruiter nearest you, it comes across his computer with dozens of such leads a month. The recruiter is required to respond to every lead within a certain time. The reality is that leads generated this way are the least productive. So they often take weeks to respond or simply sent out a quick generic email asking you to call their desk. Skip all the middlemen. Find the recruiting district headquarters near you by doing some google magic. All NRD HQs have their own web sites. Surf their site. Find the Officer Programs section and pick a phone number. That is the office you want. They should see you are talking to the right guy. If you leave a message, just call back or email. You will not be pestering him. Sometimes they are very busy. There are many more applicants then openings. He will work with the guys most motivated. He doesn't have to return every call or email to fill his quota for highly qualified applicants. Just stay on him. Once you pass the astb and establish a rapport with the recruiter, he will be pretty good about taking care of you.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Wait, wink. You mean that applicants have to put in some WORK to become Naval Aviators? You mean recruiters won't just come right out of the woodwork, do their paperwork and go to OCS for them? I don't buy it.

:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait, wink. You mean that applicants have to put in some WORK to become Naval Aviators? You mean recruiters won't just come right out of the woodwork, do their paperwork and go to OCS for them? I don't buy it.

:D

No? I thought that was how you got here. ;)

Oh I've been doing my homework Mr. Otto, I guess I just went down all the wrong channels. I used search but didn't know to search for NRD; I figured everyone just called the number on navy.com. I try hard not to be the guy who needs spoonfeeding >_<

I did what you said Wink and the person I spoke with said I called the right number. I told him all my paperwork is ready to go, so now I'm just waiting for the Lieutenant to call me back!

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for their help :)