• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
...."I think the SWO community gets more negative attention in this regard as they tend to be in the limelight on the ship more often than say an aviator. ..." "...A SWO has his/her hands in a lot of pots on the ship every minute of the day, so when something doesn't go well or breaks and your name is attached to it, you tend to get LOTS of attention...."

Walk on an aircraft carrier and ask for CAG Paddles......Just sayin'.

navybronxbomber

If "marq" is real (I'm pretty sure he is) he really really pisses me off. It pisses me off that someone who went to the academy has audacity to post such gay things on the board. I really wanted to get into the academy. I WAS REJECTED. It just bothers me to see unmotivated "4 year and go" types being so honest about it. lol

Very Respectfully,
Pissed off NROTC MIDN grad who had to bust his ass to earn a navy scholarship.

SWO Bubba

None
To the OP: My community doesn't want you either - go Supply Corps to the save us Combat Arms folks some headache.

SWO's don't eat their young, they eat their stupid - and you seem like a tasty meal!

ClutchS306

Hey guys,

New to the site and very curious on the job of a SWO. Went to a recruiter and they told me that SWO is what I needed to get into and gave me some info. I was just wondering what other info I could get out of some other SWOs. What jobs are there, what do they entitle you to do? And if there are any low, 2.4, GPA SWOs that got into OCS, how did they accomplish that and any tips. Besides ace the ASTB, take it next week we will see what happens!

navy09

None
Clutch- There's really no short answer to you questions. As a SWO you'll wear a lot of hats and always be working on a few things. Do a search and PM me if you've got more specific questions.

Raptor2216

Marq,

I'll tell you what offends me...the fact that you are being a whiny little bitch about being paid to party....are you serious dude? Go be a lawyer and live out your misery behind a desk...you sounds like you'll fit right in with a lot of the D-bags who end up in that profession.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
As a SWO you'll wear a lot of hats...

dunce-cap.jpg

ClutchS306

Hello again.

Hey guys thanks for the help. I was now wondering if I could get any online Letters of Recommendation or (LORs). I want to become a SWO as you know and was wondering if anyone would like to chat and get to know me and possibly give me a LOR or if that is to much to ask. Looking for any officers. Right now I only have two LORs and I need to increase the number of Navy Officers I know that would give me a LOR.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You don't need officers to give you an LOR to get accepted. In fact, many people are accepted into OCS without any military references at all. The important thing is to get letters from people who know you well and can write well.

On top of that, you'd need a letter from a senior officer for it to mean anything more than any other civilian's LOR, anyway. They'd much rather hear of a praising LOR from a former boss or professor who can speak intelligently about your professional work than someone you met on the internet.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An LOR from someone who barely knows you is worthless, even if it's from an active duty officer...even if it's from a damn flag officer. They'd much rather hear from someone who knows you well - coach, employer, supervisor, professor.

One of the most common misperceptions we see from wannabes and applicants here is that you have to have an 'in' to become an officer. This is absolutely untrue. Most people off the street nowadays don't personally know anyone in the military, and that's not a surprise. A friend of mine got an LOR from a freaking Quaker Comparative Religion prof; my friend took several classes from him, and the letter spoke to his intelligence, desire to serve, drive, said he was impressed with his character, etc. Worked for him.

BigL17

Sure you're in the right line of work buddy? If you get scared carpooling to work, the military might not be for you.

I though that was hilarious. Marq I too am hoping to become an attorney after i have fulfilled my commitment (if all goes well). However, I don't think your indecisiveness (after 4 years really), impatience, and inability to trust others are applicable traits of an attorney.

ClutchS306: what the others are saying is absolutely correct. Think about a LOR from a professor, supervisor, teacher, etc. that has known you personally for some time weighs significantly more than an Officer you briefly met on some forum, and what could they say of your character of any considerable importance, "Yeah i met him on AW and he seems cool."

Just saying.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Hello again.

Hey guys thanks for the help. I was now wondering if I could get any online Letters of Recommendation or (LORs). I want to become a SWO as you know and was wondering if anyone would like to chat and get to know me and possibly give me a LOR or if that is to much to ask. Looking for any officers. Right now I only have two LORs and I need to increase the number of Navy Officers I know that would give me a LOR.

Use the search function to look up how to go about setting up interviews with and getting LORs from current officers. They're not necessary or required, but they can help.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Flash said:
The SWO life and the general acknowledgment of self-inflicted pain has even garnered the attention of Proceedings, they devoted an entire issue to SWO-dom this spring and most of the articles were critical in one way or the other of SWO-dom and especially it's training. SOP to a degree for Proceedings, but some of the articles had a bit more bite than I usually see with other communities. One of the more illuminating articles for me was from a LT who did a PEP tour with the Royal Navy, thought he was an experienced ship driver but when he showed up to Her Majesty's Ship he was surprised to learn he didn't know jack or shit when it actually came to seamanship.

To me being the Captain of a warship should be one of the most professionally satisfying things to do in the military, but almost every JO SWO I meet has little desire to put up with the stupidity and ass-pain of just being a SWO to get there. And it has nothing to do with not enjoying driving and 'fighting' the ship, it has to do with all of the other BS that SWO's like to inflict themselves with. I have to shake my head in wonder how or why many in leadership tolerate it.

A few questions.

1. Regarding the LT who went to England, at what point do seamanship skills become less necessary, giving way to automation, somewhat analogous to the aviation community's UAV development? One of the big selling points of the Zumwalt destroyers is the significantly reduced crew size and efficiency. At what point do the seamanship skills just become redundant? I know this is kind of a silly question, but worth asking I think.

2. If SWO Ensigns and JGs really have a problem with their treatment and consider it a detriment to training (someone help me out on this one, whether this Ensign 'abuse' helps or hurts), then why don't they go to someone in charge as a group and make their case? Surely there is a way for these issues to be discussed, right? And yes, I'm fully aware that its usually not smart for FNGs to come in and immediately want to change things or whine about their treatment, but there's gotta be at least SOME recourse for these Ensigns.

On that note, I get the impression that there is a lot more 'fear-of-rank' in the SWO community than in aviation. Not to say that I would pop off at an winged LT or anything, but I feel like higher-ranking officers are much more accessible here than if I were a SWO.

3. Why does it seem like the SWO community as a whole has not seemed to recognize the stigmas attached to their community, and actively taken steps to rectify it instead of just accepting it as a reality of the job? Personally, I'd take a page out of the Marine Corps' training book and ensure that every training action taken has a purpose. Even rationalizing actions as 'stress management' would probably make a difference.

Keep in mind that I'm asking these questions knowing that I have exactly 24 days at sea, and a resulting saltiness factor of about zero. I'm not going to presume to know how the SWO world works, just posing the questions.