• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, man, don't listen to Pickle. You're obviously too smart for this aviation thing. Please, by all means, go pursue your loftier goals while the rest of us morons toil away. You were definitely meant to be an attorney, not some knuckle-dragging career like Naval Aviation, and by no means should you waste your time in manual labor when you could be putting your superior intellect to the higher callings you were obviously meant for.

I'm glad you're ditching now, Ensign, not wasting our fucking time. Rationalize it all you want, but you're quitting before you even get going. You come on a Naval Aviation board, tell us you're quitting because you changed your mind, and expect a fucking cookie?

See ya. Don't let the fucking door hit your ass on the way out.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One observation I have based on my experience is that after an engineer gets some experience, our logic blows everybody out of the water. After a little Ensign acne, I thought being a SWO got really easy (so much for eating their young - this is a myth created by incompetent JO's). Most of the other JO's with engineering degrees felt the same way I did and kind of thought most of the other non-technical major officers were kind of stupid. I saw the history, poly sci, business majors struggling with stuff that a first year engineering student would laugh at. There is definitely a significant advantage having a technical degree than not.

Hmm, who knew there was a SWO "Master Race" requiring an Engineering Degree for admission? This guy is really something! I wonder if marq has fallen under his spell?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Marq has got to be a fake. this has been going on a lot here recently....

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Marq has got to be a fake. this has been going on a lot here recently....
Agreed. These trolls keep saying the same stuff. I do like watching them get their shit handed to them, even if they were only trolling in the first place.

Still, I would think Webmaster would have noticed if the same IP was trolling over and over.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. These trolls keep saying the same stuff. I do like watching them get their shit handed to them, even if they were only trolling in the first place.

Still, I would think Webmaster would have noticed if the same IP was trolling over and over.

I'm sure he has the time to check IP adresses between his ground job and flying with CAT I's....:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's an automated system that alerts us to multiple people using the same computer.

It looks like this:

p3wife seems to have multiple personalities using picklesuit and p3wife sharing the same computer. No soup for you! and you! and you!

So it picks up people trying to register a second account like it should and pulls in the significant others including roomies from time to time as well as the duty computer users at OCS and various squadrons.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
This is awesome. In addition to "I didn't know sir, I'm just a stupid Ensign" I now have "I didn't know sir, I'm just a stupid business major" at my disposal.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow...where to begin....

Well first off
anyone who is truly deserving is in the pipeline.
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. You were fully aware before you got to Pensacola that there would be a wait for flight school. Things havent changed that much at USNA since I graduated last year.
The wait is a result of backups in the pipeline, not a surplus of SNFOs/SNAs. Everyone waits, some just wait less than others. You'll be waiting even longer to redes, there's 08 graduates that dropped out of flight school who are still sitting around waiting for boards.

Second, you were fully aware prior to service selection that an NFO was a backseater, with no control. Why the heck you waited till now to have second thoughts is beyond me. I mean, seriously....

I experience the same thing with riding as a passenger in cars but to a lesser degree.
Sure you're in the right line of work buddy? If you get scared carpooling to work, the military might not be for you.

I hope for your sake that you come to your senses and realize what a stupid decision you're about to make. Pull your head out of your ass and look around, you'll never get this chance again.

Bottom line: time to sack up or get the f*ck out: your call.

phrogpilot73

If the OP is still reading - this is for you:

You're a fucking pussy.

You'll always be a pussy.

And I bet you love a side order of dicks, quitter.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
let's be real, the pipeline is backed up for a reason and it is because there are far too many SNAs and SNFOs.

i know i should have figured this out 2 years ago, but not everyone knows their career goals when they are 20 years old. if anything, you should be glad that i've figured this out now instead of after API or during the middle of primary after serious money has been spent on my training.

i'm not saying that i don't trust people. it is more of a probability thing with me than anything else.

thanks for getting real with me.

Just my 2cents:

Who the hell are you to know why the pipeline is backed up? Do you make O-3+ pay on the 1st and 15th? Perhaps there are naturally occuring bottlenecks in the training program that arent helped by bad weather aging aircraft or IP manning. FYI..Meridian is running so far ahead of schedule that I have to wait for the new FY to roll over before I can get winged because they met the 09 quota well ahead of time(wtg TW-1).

And yes you should have figured this little dilemma out sooner. Douchenozzles like you are the reason I had to pay for my first year of college only to watch several of my classmates piss away the free ride. You've already fucked a guy out of a flight slot so why quit now.

If you would like for me to "get real" with you about SNA/SNFO voluntary DORs I will. As of lately most if not all of the voluntary DORs have been shown the door straight the fuck out of the Navy(I have contacts if you would like to speak with them). Thats right, there is a good chance that the swos won't even take you. Which is sad because I bet you're still wearing your black shoes.

For what its worth to you here is my advice. You have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. Sack up, trust your fellow aviators with you life, live the dream, or GET THE FUCK OUT!

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
SNA'07 and I know a guy who would love to take your NFO spot. He's been fighting, kicking, scratching, and pulling hair to find every possible way to stay in brown shoes over an extended period of med-downedness.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
three or four things

1. Ultimately, I want to be an attorney...as quickly as possible and I just don't see how being an aviator for 9-10 years will help me break into the field

So you finally know (or do you) what you want to do with your life and aviation is holding you back....

2. I could potentially (and I realize the chances are very slim and rest upon a number of factors I can't control) lat transfer to JAG after my 1st sea tour

So it's a quest to get to that point as soon as possible

3. I've been experiencing some anxiety about the dangers of aviation. Don't get me wrong, I loved my summer cruise (with a prowler squadron) but now that I'm faced with the proposition of flying everyday, I worry about being an NFO and not having control of the plane. I experience the same thing with riding as a passenger in cars but to a lesser degree.

Lame excuse. Sounds like you only want to be a lawyer and are impatient and not interested in anything keeping you from that objective. Also seems plausible that you may have met a girl who thinks lawyers are only thing worth her time so you're aligning your life to meet her expectations. Or were you a closet lawyer wannabe all along.

4. I hate waiting around. I will wait at least 2 months for IFS, then another 6 for API, and probably one more for primary (from what I've been told). I would much rather be learning something/achieving than sitting around.

It's all about you, isn't it. Sorry the Navy didn't customize its pipeline so you wouldn't have to be bothered with "sitting around". It's a fact of life that vast majority of college graduates matriculate in May-June every year and the various pipelines can't absorb that many people without
some pools.

What are the odds of redesignation?

For your attitude, I hope it's nil and, if possible, you have to sit around and think about your self-centric attitude.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I agree with MIDNAdmiral. I am a former SWO and have technical degree. Although officers with engineering degrees may seem to overanalyze things at first, we have skills that are critical to the Navy and society. Thus, it's in the best interests of the Navy to encourage as many people as possible to get a technical degree. When you have an engineering graduate who actually can learn to be a leader, such as through the Navy's program, you have a person who can virtually take over any organization. I know this from experience because everything I've done since the Navy (including law school) has been really easy. Imagine the impact on society of all these highly trained engineers coming out the Navy with leadership skills? That would stimulate the economy.
One observation I have based on my experience is that after an engineer gets some experience, our logic blows everybody out of the water. After a little Ensign acne, I thought being a SWO got really easy (so much for eating their young - this is a myth created by incompetent JO's). Most of the other JO's with engineering degrees felt the same way I did and kind of thought most of the other non-technical major officers were kind of stupid. I saw the history, poly sci, business majors struggling with stuff that a first year engineering student would laugh at. There is definitely a significant advantage having a technical degree than not.

They are called Supply Corps Officers :D