• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reality Check.

Njc242

Hey guys, I just got back from the Marine recruiting office this would be the 5th time I have gone and I am nervous. First off I am a Senior in High School whose grades are no doubt not all that hot. I scored poorly on the SAT's, just got over a 1000 but not over 1500, I played baseball for the school until my sophomore year in High School and I am going to be playing basketball next year for school. Anyways my recruiter is pushing PLC on me, which I agree to a certain extent but today it hit me hard. He said that he will stop by my house tomorrow and talk to my parents and try to get them to sign the papers for the Delayed Entry Program which after graduation I will be heading to boot camp than I will work on my reserve base until I reach my goal (NFO, I want to go PLC Air).

I am nervous just for the simple fact that it is all becoming a reality. When people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up it was ALWAYS Pilot in Military but now as it creeps closer and closer I find myself scared to a certain extent, not knowing what to expect, guessing if PLC is worth it and if I am doing the right thing considering my grades. I scored a 47 on the ASVAB practice test and they said that was good(?) so I really do not know what to do here.

How did you guys deal with this when you started your process of becoming a Marine? Where you second guessing yourself for stupid reasons?

Thanks for reading all of that, I just need to talk to people who have been there done that and this is the place to be.

-Nick

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Short a simple; if you want to fly, fly. Don't enlist. Go to college, enter the PLC program (you can do that without being an enlisted Marine), get your air contract, then go to OCS. You DO NOT have to go to boot camp to get into the PLC program.
If you want to enlist, good on you. Yes, it is more than normal to feel nervous about making such a big commitment. You are planning on going through an experience that the vast majority of the human population has a hard time understanding.
Just for the record, I enlisted, went reserves, went back to college. Got into the PLC program with around 15 civilians from my college, and got my air contract (NFO). Now I'm in primary at NAS Pensacola and loving it!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
1. ASVAB = Enlisted
2. ASTB = Officer
3. ASVAB is out of 100 like any other test you've ever taken. If you got a 47 on a test in school, would you consider that a good grade? I suggest picking up a study guide for the ASTB. ;)

Njc242

Ya thats what I was saying Bogey. I was wondering how the hell a 47 could be good.

So from what I take from Mustang is wait until I get into college than apply for PLC?

The recrutier told me they like to promote from within (makes sense, but how will this help me to get to PLC than to NFO?)

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
The recrutier told me they like to promote from within (makes sense, but how will this help me to get to PLC than to NFO?)

Every bit of information on here points to DO NOT ENLIST if you want a commission! With all respect to enlisted men and women everywhere, it is not the best path to becoming an officer and flying. Keep in mind that Enlisted Recruiters have quotas to make.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Enlisted recruiters aren't lying. You CAN enlist and end up flying for the Marine Corps. What they DON'T tell you is that it's the 20 mile "scenic" route to get to a 5 mile destination.

Get to college, talk to an OFFICER RECRUITER (OSO) and go PLC then if that's your choice.

Njc242

Every bit of information on here points to DO NOT ENLIST if you want a commission! With all respect to enlisted men and women everywhere, it is not the best path to becoming an officer and flying. Keep in mind that Enlisted Recruiters have quotas to make.

I flat out told him face to face. You know that recruiters have a reputation and it is not a good one. They will tell people anything to get them to sign up.

Word for word that is what he said, he than brought up that he had a customer satisfactory award. I mean the guy is really chill and he too wants to be a pilot so thats why I can put my trust into him. But I am a complete fucking beginner to this so I really don't know what to expect.

And to what Bogey said. He made me an outline of how the rock would roll for me.

Delayed Entry program until I graduate
Bootcamp (13 weeks)
College
PLC

All in all thats a total of 6 years.

Maybe I will tell him that I am gonna hold myself back and wait.
Do not get me wrong, this is what I WANT To do (become a Marine)

Raptor2216

Ya thats what I was saying Bogey. I was wondering how the hell a 47 could be good.

So from what I take from Mustang is wait until I get into college than apply for PLC?

It has been said a million times on this website and I'll say it again, you DO NOT have to enlist to become an officer. I commend you for at least asking around before you sign the dotted line. If you do not want to enlist, you do not have to and don't let the recruiter tell you anything different.

With that said, if you still want to be a military pilot, then you need to first think about college. I understand your SAT score isn't all that great but that doesn't mean you can't go to college. Find a local community college and transfer to a 4-year school. There are plenty of ways to accomplish that goal but you have to want it. Anyway, don't sign anything unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure about it. If you play your cards right, you could very easily be in flight school 5 years from now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I flat out told him face to face. You know that recruiters have a reputation and it is not a good one. They will tell people anything to get them to sign up.

Word for word that is what he said, he than brought up that he had a customer satisfactory award. I mean the guy is really chill and he too wants to be a pilot so thats why I can put my trust into him. But I am a complete fucking beginner to this so I really don't know what to expect.

And to what Bogey said. He made me an outline of how the rock would roll for me.

Bootcamp (13 weeks)
College
PLC

All in all thats a total of 6 years.

Maybe I will tell him that I am gonna hold myself back and wait.
Do not get me wrong, this is what I WANT To do (become a Marine)

So would you rather go to bootcamp, then go PLC or just skip bootcamp and go straight PLC? Your choice... I mean one you're going to be a reserve marine who can be pulled for service and the other you're just a Nasty candidate during the summers (as fas as I understand the program. Let some marines correct me if I'm wrong)

Njc242

Bogey: Basically I trust him, I talked to all four recruiters at the same time and they all were telling me about PLC. I want to live a normal life before I start doing what I want to do.

What I am nervous about is this. In order to get into PLC you have to go to a University (correct?, not a community college) and you have to have a combined score of 1,000 on the SAT's for just the math and reading. I have a combined score of 800 (wow totally shit yes I know) This is the first time I have ever said this to people, I have a GPA of 2.0 I am a C and D student (now your asking, HA this kid wants to fly) but its my goal and I am going to strive for it, sure I fucked myself over in HS and I realized that but its not over until its over.

I am leaning towards going to college, talking to an OSO than trying to get into PLC.

Any other thoughts guys?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Bootcamp (13 weeks)
College
PLC

Not many people go to Marine boot camp just for fun....that's basically what you'd be doing. As everyone's said, this is not the best route to your goal. Start talking to an officer recruiter. Good luck.

armada1651

pilot
Bogey: Basically I trust him.

This sounds bad, but that might not be the best call.

This is the first time I have ever said this to people, I have a GPA of 2.0 I am a C and D student (now your asking, HA this kid wants to fly) but its my goal and I am going to strive for it, sure I fucked myself over in HS and I realized that but its not over until its over.

Flying's really not rocket science (well, unless you're flying the shuttle, then it's kinda rocket science-esque). If you're willing to really work hard - and it sounds like you are - you can make this happen. But enlisting is not a good way of meeting the goal you have.

Njc242

Ya I saw your profile and It brought hope. It just sucks cause I think I gave the feeling to the Recruiter that oh ya I am going to sign these papers right now. Hes always asking me so when are we gonna do this boss, and I keep telling him when I am ready, it just came on all to fast and I feel ill prepared. I just feel that he is rushing it all and not really looking at my picture (which I expected)

armada1651

pilot
Ya I saw your profile and It brought hope. It just sucks cause I think I gave the feeling to the Recruiter that oh ya I am going to sign these papers right now. Hes always asking me so when are we gonna do this boss, and I keep telling him when I am ready, it just came on all to fast and I feel ill prepared. I just feel that he is rushing it all and not really looking at my picture (which I expected)

That's his job. Don't feel bad about letting down your recruiter. Don't be guilted into committing to something so serious.

pilot06

Go to a community college if you have to and get good grades your first year. Then transfer to a university and continue to do well and contact an Officer Selection Officer (OSO). From here you can do PLC or OCC. I did OCC (10 week program after you graduate). My .02