• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reality Check.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
At UBHI: Good question. I guess I always liked Goose more than Mav :)

At Crowbar: He is a Staff Sarg. The other guy I was talking to today was a Gunny

I flat out told him tonight that I told him on my very first visit that I came into the recruiting office to get my boat load of questions answered I did not want to sign the papers.

haha...one day go up to a USMC SGT,SSGT, GUNNY, MASTER GUNS, whatever..and call them "sarge" ;) ..trust me all the cool kids are doing it these days

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
1. ASVAB = Enlisted
2. ASTB = Officer
3. ASVAB is out of 100 like any other test you've ever taken. If you got a 47 on a test in school, would you consider that a good grade? I suggest picking up a study guide for the ASTB. ;)

Pretty sure everyone in the military has to take the ASVAB. Not just enlisted. I remember I had to take it to get into PLC. They look at your GT composite scores to get an air contract.

ASTB doesn't = Officer...it = Air contract.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Pretty sure everyone in the military has to take the ASVAB. Not just enlisted. I remember I had to take it to get into PLC. They look at your GT composite scores to get an air contract.

Someone better qualified than me can expand..but even SWO,INTEL, etc etc..non-rated AVIA contract people who want to get into OCS just have to take the ASTB albeit only certain portion, and not the ASVAB..USMC could be different, dunno. I was just responding since you said "military" in general. Even when i was in NROTC the ASVAB was not necessary.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Ya, forgive my ignorance of the Marine Corps Application process, but for Navy we don't take the ASVAB (I didn't and I know nobody applying to OCS does, or at least isn't required to).

And every designator takes the ASTB, although some designators (MOS) take only part of the test (the non aviation parts).

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I may have done it in high school. I don't remember though. High School was a blur. I do remember getting calls from the Army. I was too punk rock and told him "Dude, stop calling, im never joining the military!!". I was young and dumb. 10 years later....well, we know how I turned out.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Coming from someone who did 5 years enlisted in the navy before going officer, I want to let you know that it is by no means a straight line to a commission. While your enlisted, everyone expects you to be 100% enlisted, trying to make E-9. As far as getting your schooling done, thats on you. You are the only person that will be motivating yourself to get your school done and put a package in. I just want you to understand that it isn't like you enlist, then everyone trys to start getting you on your way to a commission. You have to remain focussed on getting your school done while your enlisted. You also have to look at it this way... What will your job be in the Marines? Will you deploy a lot? Will it even be realistic to earn a degree in 4-5 years??

-Ken

boxflyer

Here's what I did. Went to a small Division II school in Penn., getting a degreee in Business. During my senior year of college, started talking to the OSO at Penn State (40 miles away), took the tests, passed the flight physical, got my flight contract! Give me that black pen, Marine Corps here I come!

The bottom line: get to college and get a degree in something, the Navy or Marines don't care (usually) and forget about the boys flying club (Air Force). Your OSO could be co-located at your college, if not, find one at a larger university. Timing is everything and the slots have to be there for you to get in. Just like selection week in primary flight school, timing and luck do play a part