• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Gentex announced a new "advanced" HGU-56/P - note OPS-CORE rails and flexible boom mic assembly. HOT or NOT?

HGU_56P_I_Arcs_01.jpg
Meh…the rail is an easy post-market add. The flex boom isn’t my favorite but then again, I’m old fashioned.

Random8145

Of course they are dangerous…that’s why we fly them! The report is kind of silly, glossing over the fact that pilots who feel pressured (either self made or external) to get the job done regardless of the risk suffer similar accident rates across the fixed wing/rotary spectrum. At my airfield I saw one guy rush to get his GA aircraft filled with golf clubs, gas, and buddies for a summer flight to some course. No weight and balance and no realistic preflight (or even load balancing). He made it out but his landing gear hit the tree tops and he didn’t climb into visibility for quite some time. Lucky guy.
Why would someone be so careless? Do people do that frequently with planes?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not sure about frequently, but there are a number of careless pilots out there. Look up Jenny Blalock, aka TNFlygirl. She was fundamentally incompetent and died because of it. In one of her YouTube videos she actually gets lost in the pattern!

taxi1

pilot
When just out of flight school, I and one of my fellow newly winged bubbas went to go fly one of his new RC airplanes. After getting the prop spinning, he pointed it down the "runway" (parking lot on a weekend) and did the takeoff roll. It took forever to rotate. Finally started climbing, and I asked him if he had checked the CG before flying. He said "Hmmm" as he rolled into a gentle turn, and the nose immediately sliced down and it headed for mother Earth. It was far enough away so that the visual dust cloud was followed by a second of the motor still going "wheeee" before the "thud".

GroundPounder

Not sure about frequently, but there are a number of careless pilots out there. Look up Jenny Blalock, aka TNFlygirl. She was fundamentally incompetent and died because of it. In one of her YouTube videos she actually gets lost in the pattern!

If you want to see an indication of how clueless she was, this is a good 21 minute overview of a flight she made, and broadcast on her channel. It is hard to believe that anyone could pass a PPL and be that incompetent. She gets lost and turned around within sight of the airport from which she took off.

Her fatal flight was to go get a new autopilot.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
If you want to see an indication of how clueless she was, this is a good 21 minute overview of a flight she made, and broadcast on her channel. It is hard to believe that anyone could pass a PPL and be that incompetent. She gets lost and turned around within sight of the airport from which she took off.

Her fatal flight was to go get a new autopilot.
Tough to watch knowing what happened later on. There's obviously multiple examples of shit like this, but it's alarming to say the least.

Edit: was trying to embed this link, but it didn't work. Similar basic stuff.

Random8145

Just read up about her, wow. Also watched GroundPounder's video, I mean Holy Crap! Not being a pilot, I wouldn't have known a lot of the bad stuff she was doing without the narration, but I mean even I know if you don't know how to turn on/off your nav system, or any system, in your plane while flying, that is probably a sign you are not qualified to be flying. Then her father, "Where are your circuit breakers?" (!) I also was wondering about whether she could hit other aircraft while flying around like that. Don't think I could fathom flying an aircraft without knowing how every system in it functioned.

If I had been a passenger, knowing nothing else, I'd have been on my phone Googling about the nav system on how to turn it back on and also just tried something like the navigation feature on the phone to see where we were pointed versus the destination.

Last edited: