• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If I was at work I would have invited you to our squadron bar. The prices are way better.

How long are you in town for? Are you staying at the BOQ on Ft Custer?

The DTS machine has me in the shittiest hotel in Battle Creek! Departing Sunday AM and meetings Sat at Custer!

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
HAMMS was 75 cents in the beer vending machines in the barracks in the 80's, they appear to be nearly inflation proof.
I like to think I'm well traveled and somewhat worldly, but I can honestly say I've never heard of HAMMS beer.

You learn something new on this site everyday. ?

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The DTS machine has me in the shittiest hotel in Battle Creek! Departing Sunday AM and meetings Sat at Custer!
Oh no…that picture is from Custer’s First Stand…correct? I did a few ARNG course at Custer - lost too much blood to the mosquitoes. Why is the CAP sending you to Custer for meetings rather than the ANG base?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I like to think I'm well traveled and somewhat worldly, but I can honestly say I've never heard of HAMMS beer.

You learn something new on this site everyday. ?
Close your eyes and imagine an American Indian drum beat…
Dum dum dum dum…dum dum dum dum..

Now strong-voiced men sing..

“From the land of sky blue waters (waters),
From the land of pines, lofty balsams,
Comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's, the beer refreshing.

Brewed where nature works her wonders,
From the land of sky blue waters (waters),
From the land of pines, lofty balsams,
Comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's, the beer refreshing.”
Hammmmm’s.”

At some point a cartoon bear hands you a crappy beer.

I saw that commercial so many times that the song is etched into my mind. I can remember a few cigarette commercials as well…if you’re interested.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Growing up in the '50's in the mid-west, Hamm's was a very popular brand.
My dad was a Coor’s guy. He occasionally flew from NAS Dallas to Colorado to grab a bunch. Apparently there was an altitude where you could cool the beer with lasting results. Too high, you had a frozen mess…too low you got stanky, warm beer. Precision aviation.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAMMS was 75 cents in the beer vending machines in the barracks in the 80's, they appear to be nearly inflation proof.
Back when I was attending Airman Apprentice training at NTC San Diego during the summer 1984, they had beer machines next to the on base laundromat…IIRC, they were $1.00 for your choice of Bud, Michelob, MGD, and a few other choices. It was a great find when you are 19 years old.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I actually had an opportunity after my last year of college, while waiting for word on acceptance to Air Force OCS (a whole story in and of itself, which I've written about in previous threads years ago) to drive a truck for a local Hamm's distributor. I opted to continue working for Rudy Frasca and Frasca Aviation (now Frasca International), whom I had been working for part time my last couple of years of school.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Growing up in the '50's in the mid-west, Hamm's was a very popular brand.
My old man was from Southern Indiana, and Falls City was the gold standard of the 60's and 70's in that area, I believe...I think it was the first beer I tasted as a youngster, when asking dad for a sip of his beer, and then making a face like I just bit into a lemon ?.

The Falls City brand has since been resurrected in Louisville as a micro- brew.