• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My unit's opening at Peterson has been a tough fill - finding someone with basically Airline quals at GS-12 level is tough these days. Have to reside near Perterson SFB - and I think AF will waive currency/100 hrs PIC in last 12 months. Great job - would be awesome to get another single-anchor gold winger in here:

Let me know when they open one at KBED or KPSM!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Arrrrrggggghhhh….made the cross country hop from VKX to 7B3 yesterday but my “action” camera took a nap (it was supposed to be fixed) so I have no film of my flight up the Hudson River SFRA. There was a lot of helicopter traffic, but not as bad as I thought it might be. Overall a good cross country with the exception of some healthy headwinds and a lot of haze from forest fires over Massachusetts.

Best I can do is a screen grab from flight aware.
IMG_1612.jpeg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Broad question for the GA types out there. Yesterday a pilot with the AOPA Safety Institute was killed (up in Lake Placid) with a friend while trying to return to the airport after an engine failure at take off. I am not trying to cast doubt on his (or his friends) flying skills but I wanted to get a general opinion on the “impossible turn.” During my last flight review ( fixed wing) right after takeoff, my instructor asked if I could do a return to the field if the engine cut off and I told him I wouldn’t even bother trying. His view was that every pilot should try to learn the procedure and I told him my life was worth more than saving an airplane so a mechanic could fix it quicker and that my time would be better spent practicing emergency landing procedures and identifying landing areas. Of course flying the Griz-O-Copter is an entirely different thing I know, but I am interested in the AW fixed-wing opinion.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Broad question for the GA types out there. Yesterday a pilot with the AOPA Safety Institute was killed (up in Lake Placid) with a friend while trying to return to the airport after an engine failure at take off. I am not trying to cast doubt on his (or his friends) flying skills but I wanted to get a general opinion on the “impossible turn.” During my last flight review ( fixed wing) right after takeoff, my instructor asked if I could do a return to the field if the engine cut off and I told him I wouldn’t even bother trying. His view was that every pilot should try to learn the procedure and I told him my life was worth more than saving an airplane so a mechanic could fix it quicker and that my time would be better spent practicing emergency landing procedures and identifying landing areas. Of course flying the Griz-O-Copter is an entirely different thing I know, but I am interested in the AW fixed-wing opinion.
The "impossible turn" is a core part of our syllabus at work and it's on every recurrent training event. Airspeed Vy or better on departure, flaps up, then at 800' AGL, the "simulated engine failure" is initiated. 3-5 second delay for "Startle Factor", then an immediate turn 30-45 deg AOB , pull to stall horn if necessary. Maintain best-glide. Deploy full flaps once runway made.

Very doable and a great confidence maneuver on flight reviews. Key is not to unload too much during turn.

Similar maneuver borrowed from U-28 (PC-12) and AFSOC Caravan folks.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Power off 180 action

But he was abeam the runway. I’ve done plenty of power off landings (engine failure in pattern) but I’m talking more about the approximately 270 degree turn to reverses course and place the airplane roughly at a right angle to the departure runway followed immediately by a second turn (approximately 90 degrees) in a direction opposite the first turn, is necessary to align with the runway and complete the approach. I don’t doubt you, but is the CAP really teaching that?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But he was abeam the runway. I’ve done plenty of power off landings (engine failure in pattern) but I’m talking more about the approximately 270 degree turn to reverses course and place the airplane roughly at a right angle to the departure runway followed immediately by a second turn (approximately 90 degrees) in a direction opposite the first turn, is necessary to align with the runway and complete the approach. I don’t doubt you, but is the CAP really teaching that?
Yes - this was *not* an example of the maneuver we discussed a couple of posts ago. I just happened to have my phone out for the last landing of the day - a simulated engine failure from downwind.

This is the "impossible turn" from our syllabus

1696288340163.png

or from Crosswind about to turn downwind...

1696288391959.png

We are required to show proficiency from a power loss in all 4 "Zones"

1696288463074.png

The video I posted was Zone 3/4

1696288566940.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
but I wanted to get a general opinion on the “impossible turn.”

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

I think some people want to equate the turn as a turn back to the runway when it should be thought of as a turn back to the in-field, which might still be expensive, but probably not terminal (assuming you manage your energy...as you would for any landing).

This is the "impossible turn" from our syllabus

I really like how they have the colored zones. That's a different but similar way of how I break up the pattern into the ELP. Spending countless hours teaching and flying the ELP just indoctrinated me into seeing a landing area and then figuring out where I'm going to intercept.

ETA: going out and finding out what your actual High Key and Low Key numbers are for your particular aircraft can be very valuable, as well.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Single runway? Unless I'm almost at 1,000 feet (call it 800+), I'm not even going to think about trying it. If there's an intersecting runway that will make the total amount of turn required <360 degrees and I'm at about 600, I'll give it a shot.