• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Quirks" of Past Aircraft

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We can silence the stab warning tone via the Master Warning panel or the cyclic mounted VOX-Caut swtich. The VOX-Caut switch also acknowledges caution advisories. As a bonus, it appears to do so quicker than the Master Warning panel. The VOX-Caut switch is right of the trim release and can't be activated without moving your hand from the normal flight position

Sounds like it's very similar, except that you can't silence the tone by hitting the Master Caution (like you could in the B). I don't know how many times I've reached up to cancel the Master Caution and the tone is still blaring at me while I try and remember why. Old habits die hard.

Lawman

None
I think this is more an urban legend, I remember hearing that it actually only happened once. I'm told the Navy doesn't have the cyclic slew switch? Either way the fear was certainly there.

Quirk: Coning roll. A helicopter with an articulated rotorhead will roll towards the advancing blade in forward flight as the disc cones up. So if I roll a 60 right into a 60 degree banked turn and pull to get 2g, I'll also have to add some amount of left cyclic to maintain the turn. In practice, that plus the mixing unit reducing left cyclic throw with high collective positions can combine to make it so the only way to roll out of the turn is unload the disc.

Checking with a safety center hawk guy, the count was 5 crashes directly attributed to it.

Comes down to insulating fly by wire systems from HIRTA which wasn't much of a concern and then exploded with modern tech. its the same reason we can't use our back up fly by wire control system in the 64 to do anything but fly it to the ground and kill the engines. We simply don't know what it will do when you fly withing x Kms of a microwave Tower.

busdriver

None
Checking with a safety center hawk guy, the count was 5 crashes directly attributed to it.
I stand corrected. I think the Army and Sikorsky (shocking) were in disagreement on which of those was really "directly attributable"and thus the cyclic slew switch which was demanded by the Army.

Lawman

None
I stand corrected. I think the Army and Sikorsky (shocking) were in disagreement on which of those was really "directly attributable"and thus the cyclic slew switch which was demanded by the Army.

No different than the Army Bell 206s. We had I think now 3 total crashes attributed to Uncommanded flight control inputs but 8 million dollars of Bells money says that problem didn't exist.

Boeing did the same thing with the Apache. Crash in early testing where every Test pilot was screaming it was something wrong with our fly by wire back up control system. Boeing said the two CW4 pilots purposefully flew it into the ground over a period of minutes.