• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Quirks" of Past Aircraft

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MiG-15 is the "quirkiest" airplane I've ever flown. Here are a few that I recall from just 1 flight in it:

-The only flight hyds are for the ailerons. When the Russians built it, they realized they needed a way to balance the heavy elevator forces, so rather than aerodynamically balance it with an offset hinge or elevator horns, they installed a big balance weight in the tail. Flying it, when you start to pull more than 3g, the stick force gets really light. Keep pulling, and the longitudinal control forces abruptly reverse, meaning if you let go, the stick snaps all the way aft and bad things happen.
-It has a giant centrifugal flow engine which generates enough gyroscopic precession that it can actually roll the airplane upright if you do a loop and don't feed in coordinated aileron and rudder over the top.
-No fuel gauge, except for the feed tank. The feed tank lasts about 10 minutes. If you wait for the fuel gauge to come off the peg, you'll flame out at the initial.
-Really bad Dutch roll, like +/- 45 degrees of bank in the landing configuration. Relatively easy to counter, but scary if it's a turbulent or gusty day.
-No aileron effectiveness below 130 KIAS, IIRC. You touch down below that.
You magnificent bastard. Now you get to explain how you scammed THAT hop. :)

busdriver

None
I'd be surprised if the -60 had any issues recovering from a steady turns up to 60 deg. Maybe there be dragons beyond that AOB; I wouldn't know.
I've hit it more than once, and actually teach it to my students (well I used to, I'm a staff dork now) during aircraft handling characteristics sorties. It doesn't take a 60 deg turn either, just G to get the blades coned up. Probably doesn't manifest in a 60L given the light weight, a 60G is north of 20k on just about every training sortie. We actually lost a bird and one crew member due to not understanding this.

ETA: We get auto mode failures from time to time, but I've never heard of an actual full down failure. I have had maintenance screw with an alert bird and pull the stab amp breakers; made the scramble launch very odd as the nose kept trying to point at the ground.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I've hit it more than once, and actually teach it to my students (well I used to, I'm a staff dork now) during aircraft handling characteristics sorties. It doesn't take a 60 deg turn either, just G to get the blades coned up. Probably doesn't manifest in a 60L given the light weight, a 60G is north of 20k on just about every training sortie. We actually lost a bird and one crew member due to not understanding this.
We had a handling characteristics hop in the 60F/H, but mine was 6 years ago. I remember seeing the low-g goofiness, but not the coning roll. Guess I'll transfer my surprise to the fact we didn't discuss it at TPS.

busdriver

None
Guess I'll transfer my surprise to the fact we didn't discuss it at TPS.
I actually had to get a TPS guy to help me out with it. I knew about the mixing unit contribution, and I knew there was an aero portion that had something to do with dis-symmetry of lift. When I actually saw his white board drawings I felt like an idiot. When you cone the disc, the front blades see a reduction in induced flow, while the aft blades see an increase. When you draw the vectors for air flow around a blade element it's obvious: increased effective blade AOA in front, reduction in back.

sevenhelmet, I think you're probably right. I don't imagine you'd see much coning at all with a light bird and a 45deg limit. I know when I see it happen I'm kissing the onset of bladestall, usually in a helo v helo fight.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I've never read anything about the AFCS applying aft cyclic (nor aft pitch SAS) during turns. The maneuvering stability function of the AFCS actually moves the longitudinal trim servo forward to increase the aft force required by the pilot to maintain the g-loading - so we can feel the g's (all 1.4 of them). If you're a 60S dude, see para. 2.9.4.8

Indeed I was crossing up my directions of who/what pushes and pulls.

*break break*

As for coning roll not being a thing in Navy birds, maybe it has something to do with all the extra weight on our rotor heads from the blade fold gear?

busdriver

None
Synix, I suppose it's possible. What is effectively "rotating weight" I suspect plays a roll in how much a given system will cone, but we're rapidly getting beyond the basic phase lag understanding of rotor dynamics that your typical pilot is taught, including me!

I suspect it has more to do with typical gross weights and operational limitations. I never ran into the issue without intentionally inducing it until I started teaching at the weapons school. The first time I saw it over and over was fighting air to air without limiting ourselves to a lower Ps line. Think arriving at the merge at around 120knots with a 20k pound aircraft, rolling to to the right and pulling 100% Q, and pulling till you hit the onset of bladestall in an attempt to trade all that speed for turn rate.

All that said, I've seen the same issue pop up at 80 ish knots when trying to retrograde back the way I came after realizing I'd expose myself to a fighter threat. (playing red-air, in a failed attempt to beat the AIM-9X) Once again, seen at Nellis....

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Xmid, how did you get time in a Huey? I thought you went HTs. I'm jealous. I'd love to fly one, if for no other reason than nostalgia's sake.

I flew with the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation and had a high school friend who's dad bought one. They are somewhat cheap to buy and very expensive to fly/maintain. Flying around with door gunners and dudes dressed in Vietnam era garb is a sweet gig. They don't like to side flare... I went VT's and still find ways to get my helo on from time to time.

busdriver

None
Huey's are a bit like having a 70's offroad vehicle. They aren't all that fast, they bounce around alot and they're a shit load of fun.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I think this is more an urban legend, I remember hearing that it actually only happened once. I'm told the Navy doesn't have the cyclic slew switch? Either way the fear was certainly there.
Those teaching the MTP course at Ft. Rucker are of the same opinion. I never saw a cyclic-mounted-stabilator-slew-up-switch (actual term) in the SH-60B, SH-60F or HH-60H I flew in the Navy. I remember thinking how stupid it was when I saw it for the first time in a UH-60A going through the AQC.
One of the explanations I heard for the crash was that the beeping tone was similar to the engine out tone for the Huey and that initial reactions to the tone in the UH-60A was to lower collective and accelerate (engine failure) vice freezing the collective and aft cyclic. Don't know if that is true. I have never flown a Huey. One verified issue with the stabilator for the early UH-60A was a lack of adequate shielding for the wiring. An anecdote supporting this issue was seeing a stabilator drive full down by itself on a Seahawk aboard CG-51 when the shielded wire was bypassed for troubleshooting.
FWIW, the M model Blackhawk has several improvements for manueverability at high gross weight and/or density altitude. The blades are wider, 24.25" vs 21.75" along the chord. The blades have a 20 degree anhedral droop. The left lateral roller limiter and left bellcrank in the mixing unit have been changed to provide more left lateral control with the wide chord blades. There is also a larger cutout in the scissors assembly for additional movement.

Edit: Also the tail cone stringers and skin are beefed up.

My understanding of the Navy 45 deg AOB limit is to increase lifetime of components on the head by avoiding the onset of blade stall, because Seahawks are the fatties of the Hawk world.
I've never read anything about the AFCS applying aft cyclic (nor aft pitch SAS) during turns. The maneuvering stability function of the AFCS actually moves the longitudinal trim servo forward to increase the aft force required by the pilot to maintain the g-loading - so we can feel the g's (all 1.4 of them). If you're a 60S dude, see para. 2.9.4.8
As for coning roll. This is but one effect of many on a complicated helo like the Hawk. You also.
Heard the same thing back in the 80s when I went through the FRS. Component lifetime, etc…

The Army has no pitch bias actuators (PBA), so we don’t get the “feel” thing at high AOB.

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I actually had to get a TPS guy to help me out with it. I knew about the mixing unit contribution, and I knew there was an aero portion that had something to do with dis-symmetry of lift. When I actually saw his white board drawings I felt like an idiot. When you cone the disc, the front blades see a reduction in induced flow, while the aft blades see an increase. When you draw the vectors for air flow around a blade element it's obvious: increased effective blade AOA in front, reduction in back.
The Army's Fundamentals of Flight (FM 3-04.203) explains this within its discussion of translational lift. I find that to be a bit paradoxical since the Army seems to dumb everything down. The only other major challenge to the "dumbness" of Army aviation compared to Navy aviation is the "lifties" explanation I heard in navy flight school.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Those teaching the MTP course at Ft. Rucker are of the same opinion. I never saw a cyclic-mounted-stabilator-slew-up-switch (actual term) in the SH-60B, SH-60F or HH-60H I flew in the Navy. I remember thinking how stupid it was when I saw it for the first time in a UH-60A going through the AQC.

Your software is different, so I'm wondering if you have this...

On the R/S, the "old" hoist up/down switch is now a Mission Display toggle and ACK for the WCA page. It also silences the STAB warning tone. Full circle, I guess. Do you guys have that on the M?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Your software is different, so I'm wondering if you have this...

On the R/S, the "old" hoist up/down switch is now a Mission Display toggle and ACK for the WCA page. It also silences the STAB warning tone. Full circle, I guess. Do you guys have that on the M?
We can silence the stab warning tone via the Master Warning panel or the cyclic mounted VOX-Caut swtich. The VOX-Caut switch also acknowledges caution advisories. As a bonus, it appears to do so quicker than the Master Warning panel. The VOX-Caut switch is right of the trim release and can't be activated without moving your hand from the normal flight position