• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions for the CFIs thread

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I keep ending up w/ random questions on the GA side so figured I'd just start this thread. I know HH-60H had another similar thread, but the search is getting overwhelmed...

Question 1: Assuming the cost difference is minimal, is there some reason I should get a Class 2 medical over a Class 3? I don't plan on using my commercial in the act of flying right now. My old class 3 has long since expired and I'm trying to requal it w/a doc in town.

More questions to follow, I'm sure.

GroundPounder

Not a CFI, but on the GA side it is best to get the lowest medical that you need for what you want to do. There are things that they screen for in a II and III that they don't for your III class medical, and there is no reason that you want to expose yourself to the danger of failing for something that would not be an issue for a III if that is all you need.

Probably not an issue for you now, but something to think about in the future. If you've never had an FAA physical, be prepared to be underwhelmed, they are not that in depth.

MakeNoise

pilot
Concur...Just get the class III.

BTW, won't your military up chit qualify as a class III soon anyway? Remember hearing something about a recent FAR change to that effect.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
When I got my class II a few years ago, it was the same price. Around Milton that seemed to be the mo for the flight docs I talked to, or at least a difference of only $10 bucks or so.

The flight doc I had the exam with said that the biggest thing that fails most people was the eye portion. The eye test wasn't hard to read, it was just...different, it's hard to explain. If I remember correctly, he said glasses are allowed.

Flugelman

Contributor
I don't know if things have changed but I would get a Class II every year with my annual Navy flight physical. That was a few years ago...:eek:

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Question 1: Assuming the cost difference is minimal, is there some reason I should get a Class 2 medical over a Class 3? I don't plan on using my commercial in the act of flying right now. My old class 3 has long since expired and I'm trying to requal it w/a doc in town.

In your case there is absolutely no benefit. But if the cost is the same I would argue why not get the Second Class medical? Obviously if you aren't going to need those privileges it would be money wasted if the cost was higher.

There could possibly be insurance advantages

I've never heard of that. Last time I was dealing with the insurance companies all they cared about was what was in the log book. Not my medical. But then you never know.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Except for the EKG with a class 1 medical, I've never seen the Doc do anything different for class 1, 2 or 3. I'm sure it is in the standards but....

A lot of guys don't get class 1 if their job only requires the class 2 out of fear of the EKG. They figure why take a chance of finding something that would cost them their medical. I figure why take the chance of missing something that would cost me my life. But there is a big price difference between a Class 1 with EKG and a Class 1 or 2 without the EKG. Class 1 requires the EKG the first time then every 5 years if under 40, every year if 40 or older.

For what it's worth, I always got the class 2 and let it slide into class 3 privileges. Then when the class 3 was expired, I did it again.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
+1 for Hal,
I certainly don't have his time under my belt, but I've been getting medicals for the last decade or so. My first was a class 1, just because I wanted to make sure I was up to snuff for down the road, if I was to be an airline guy. Since then when I needed a class 2, I still got the class 1 mostly cause the cost in my case was the same, and now I've let it all slide to a class 3. I did just get a class 2 with my annual from the flight docs for gratis though. Do I need it.. probably not, but if it should come to pass where the someone needs to hire me to fly a Cessna 150 to save mankind, I can do it legally for the next 12 months.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm actually surprised by the collective response of "don't get it if you don't need it".

I feel quite the contrary. The cost is usually the same regardless (at least it is for 2-3 IIRC), so get the highest you can get for equal money.

Somehow, I think the Navy standards to fly are a bit tighter than the FAA's. I wouldn't worry about failing any portion. And to make it clearer, if you WERE to fail the FAA medical to the point where they wouldn't let you fly AT ALL (even class III) then I don't think I or anyone else would WANT you to be flying! (and I don't think you'd be flying in the Navy if that were the case)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny story about that, just got a nastygram from the FAA re my class III physical that I had to get for IFS. They're all grumpy about the same issues the Navy waived for me to be in aviation and since I didn't provide any of those documents discussing the issue when I got my physical, they're revoking my certificate. In the end I really don't care because I don't plan on getting my PPL or anything, but I think it's kind of hilarious that the DoD and the FAA don't really talk to each other on these kind of things. One would think that since the military is cool with me being in an aircraft that could potentially go into combat, the FAA would be cool with me being PIC of a Cessna.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Funny story about that, just got a nastygram from the FAA re my class III physical that I had to get for IFS. They're all grumpy about the same issues the Navy waived for me to be in aviation and since I didn't provide any of those documents discussing the issue when I got my physical, they're revoking my certificate. In the end I really don't care because I don't plan on getting my PPL or anything, but I think it's kind of hilarious that the DoD and the FAA don't really talk to each other on these kind of things. One would think that since the military is cool with me being in an aircraft that could potentially go into combat, the FAA would be cool with me being PIC of a Cessna.

Just send them back a picture of you flying the T-6. Smile big.

bbf7b2

pilot
I got the 2nd last summer since I was doing a bunch of scenic flights in addition to flight instructing and as I remember it the only real difference from the 3rd was reading the near and middle vision cards, some field of vision tests, and maybe a hearing test (can't remember if I did that for the 3rd) It was pretty straightforward, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting it but if you don't need it I suppose it wouldn't be worth it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I keep ending up w/ random questions on the GA side so figured I'd just start this thread. I know HH-60H had another similar thread, but the search is getting overwhelmed...

More questions to follow, I'm sure.
If you are getting a civilian medical I assume you plan on doing some civilian flying. I doubt the FAA will find anything "new" with you that a flight doc would not have found. I'm a medical nightmare with plenty of medical headaches when it comes to paperwork (FAA and Navy). One scenario that could be a problem, like mentioned above, is that the FAA has a similar process to waivers. You maybe good to go in the Navy with a waiver for something rare, but to an Aviation Medical Examiner you being a pilot may not calm their worries.

If you have a condition which requires special attention, the AME can grant the medical if they feel it is a non issue. If they feel they can't medically make that recommendation they forward the medical application to a regional office. If the FAA AMEs there feel that can't approve the application then it goes to the head office in Oklahoma City. Then the head docs look it over and make a decision. It took me about 3 months to get my medical from Oklahoma. With the medical was a nice letter explaining 14 CFR 61.53.

If you want to get a medical, I recommend finding a flight doc who is also an AME. There is a new process where you fill out the medical application online (https://medxpress.faa.gov/). It is pretty slick and in the end all you do is bring in a confirmation number and the AME looks up the application online (I also brought a paper copy). If you're like me and are a medical nightmare a Navy flight doc is an angel. You go in to them, they see your upchit and give you the 2nd/3rd class. The medical standards, as you can imagine, are lower for a 3rd class.

I would recommend getting the 2nd class. Why? The 1st class takes a little more, but I'm confident than if you can get a 2nd class you'd be able to get a 1st class. The difference between a 3rd and 1st is much wider. Once you have a Navy flight doc give you a 2nd class your past issues are history. Later in life you go a civilian AME and fill out the form with any issue you have had. Under the remarks section where you have to explain why you answered yes to a laundry list of questions you just write "previously reported" and the AME probably won't even ask about it. Previously reported means the whole FAA medical process decided you were good to go.

Clear as mud?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
The idea behind getting a Class I or Class II medical when you only need a Class III is to make sure you CAN qualify for a Class I or Class II (if your ultimate goal is to hold an ATP or use your commercial). A Class I or II will still be valid as long as the Class III (as it will eventually become a Class III). Now, I certainly understand what HAL said too, why risk your medical if they find something on the Class I or Class II that would not have been found on the Class III? Like was pointed out though, why take a chance on flying with a condition that could be more serious that was missed?

I always get a Class I when I renew my medical just for that peace of mind and the cost is not much more than any other medical.