• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions for the CFIs thread

MasterBates

Here is another dumb question-

I have a MEL/SEL/HELO Commercial Ticket with Instrument Airplane/Helo

I never got a HP/Complex signoff. But the T-34/44 and E-2 all meet the criteria.. So can I legally fly HP/Complex civ aircraft?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds

I never got a HP/Complex signoff. But the T-34/44 and E-2 all meet the criteria.. So can I legally fly HP/Complex civ aircraft?

As PIC, no, not until you get the endorsement. Now assuming you go up with a CFI that time will still count as dual. Considering those all meet the criteria I don't think you'd have any problems getting an endorsement from a CFI.

If its ok with the mods this link will help.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/flight-training/20904-complex-endorsement.html

yak52driver

Contributor

According to the FAR's you're supposed to have complex and HP endorsements in your logbook to be able to log that time. I would think it would be easy to find a CFI that would sign you off. Heck, if you were up in my neck of the woods I'd do it.

HuggyU2

None
Well, if you flew "high performance" as the PIC prior to 4 Aug 97, you don't need the endorsement.
If after that date, I'd be willing to bet that your military flight records suffice. There are numerous places in the FAR's where it mentions that mil records are adequate.
Ask your FSDO. Otherwise, get your squadron CFI to sign you off.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My take on it as a CFII is, as long as you're rated for the A/C, SEL, comlex, high performance, you can log it. The caveat is was there any discussion as to who was PIC. The only reason you need dual in an A/C that you're rated for is to meet insurance requirments.

There was no discussion, but there's no reason for me to have been PIC. It was his airplane and he was giving me a good deal ride to see what one was like. Sounds like it's not logable since I don't have either endorsement.

I asked this in another thread (or maybe it was this one) and Yak's answer seemed to be the one to go with. However...

According to the FAR's you're supposed to have complex and HP endorsements in your logbook to be able to log that time. I would think it would be easy to find a CFI that would sign you off. Heck, if you were up in my neck of the woods I'd do it.

Not as easy as you'd think. I tried to do this at the Navy Flying club, and they talked w/ their main rep (not sure if he was FAA or not) and they said they didn't want to just sign me off despite having my military logbooks right in front of them. They said they wanted to give a me a quick ride to make everyone happy (insurance, CFI, etc). I mentioned this to a CFI in my squadron and he even said he wouldn't just sign me off w/ just my logbook (as a guy walking in off the street) and would want to fly w/ me just to cover himself in case I fly into the ground later. Understandable, for sure.

Well, if you flew "high performance" as the PIC prior to 4 Aug 97, you don't need the endorsement.
If after that date, I'd be willing to bet that your military flight records suffice. There are numerous places in the FAR's where it mentions that mil records are adequate.
Ask your FSDO.

Like I said above, a NATOPS and logbook wasn't enough. I'm pretty sure they called the FSDO, as well, but I wasn't part of that. I don't blame them, since I'm just some dude who rolled in off the street. Then again, I'm not sure they completely understood that I was flying just across the runway with the Weiner a few weeks earlier.

Otherwise, get your squadron CFI to sign you off.

What do you think this is? The Air Force? Seriously, is that a normal thing to have in an AF squadron or is it something you see specifically in your squadron (w/ all the experience that comes through there)?

ryan1234

Okay, so next random question...

I recently got a demo flight in a Glasair. It's a complex/HP aircraft (300 HP, blue-knobby things, etc). I have no idea if the guy I flew w/ is a CFI (and don't really care). Can I log the small amount of flight time I got in it? I'm not really operating as a 2P, nor could I (from what I understand) operate as PIC since I currently don't have a Complex/HP endorsement. Or am I mistaken?

This is mostly academic. I'm not worried about the .5 I got, but more curious if it's loggable for my own knowledge.

Yes, you all are fine to fly and act as PIC of complex/hp aircraft. After you get a commercial fixed wing the actual endorsement for complex doesn't even matter anymore, because you need it (FAA commercial certificate) for the aircraft when doing your intial commercial checkride - so if you have a commercial fixed wing (FAA commercial certificate) it is understood that you have a complex sign-off (i.e. ground and flight training in a complex aircraft). If you have logged solo PIC in anything hp in the military (which is pretty much everything) then it is understood that you have a high-performance sign-off (i.e. received ground and flight training in a hp aircraft). You may want to double check your local FSDO - but that is our FSDO's understanding.

Having said that, it would be a good idea to do some "HP" training in a recip. They are different animals than turbine powered aircraft... especially turbo-recips - they require a little more finesse with some models.

yak52driver

Contributor
I asked this in another thread (or maybe it was this one) and Yak's answer seemed to be the one to go with. However...

Not as easy as you'd think. I tried to do this at the Navy Flying club, and they talked w/ their main rep (not sure if he was FAA or not) and they said they didn't want to just sign me off despite having my military logbooks right in front of them. They said they wanted to give a me a quick ride to make everyone happy (insurance, CFI, etc). I mentioned this to a CFI in my squadron and he even said he wouldn't just sign me off w/ just my logbook (as a guy walking in off the street) and would want to fly w/ me just to cover himself in case I fly into the ground later. Understandable, for sure.

+1 You are absolutely correct and I wasn't completely clear in my answer. If he was around here I'd take MB up in my Yak 52 and get the endorsements taken care of, it's both complex and has a 360 hp engine for the HP. Of course there's the groundschool to discuss both complex and HP, as well. But with the experience MB has, this would be a no brainer for both the flying and ground. But no CFI should just sign someone off if they havent' flown with them.

ryan1234

Also - I don't know about E-2 type ratings.... but let's say a C-12 (BE20) - if you have a type in a hp, complex, and "high altitude" - I'm almost positive... I remember reading an FAR or AC that will automatically give you a complex, hp, ha endorsement if you don't have one already. One of my friends got typed in a CRJ as his initial type... he didn't have a 'high altitude' before, and he doesn't have an actual endorsement in his logbook - but he upgraded at the airline, acts as PIC no problem. I'll try to see if I can't dig it up. Even though the FARs are written by lawyers, by getting a type (or even a commercial) you have demostrated "proficiency" to an examiner in the endorsement areas.

FlyinRock

+1 You are absolutely correct and I wasn't completely clear in my answer. If he was around here I'd take MB up in my Yak 52 and get the endorsements taken care of, it's both complex and has a 360 hp engine for the HP. Of course there's the groundschool to discuss both complex and HP, as well. But with the experience MB has, this would be a no brainer for both the flying and ground. But no CFI should just sign someone off if they havent' flown with them.[/quote
AMEN! Not only is it dumb, it isn't legal to do sign offs unless its single seat aircraft..

HuggyU2

None
The nice thing about FSDO's is that there are many of them. If you don't get the answer you want, call another one.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
The nice thing about FSDO's is that there are many of them. If you don't get the answer you want, call another one.

And that's about the only nice thing about FSDO's, and the 'free' checkrides I suppose. Though flying to the FSDO costs most people about as much as flying with a DE.

yak52driver

Contributor
And that's about the only nice thing about FSDO's, and the 'free' checkrides I suppose. Though flying to the FSDO costs most people about as much as flying with a DE.

I always had a preconceived negative image of FSDO staff, but I have to say over the last few years I have worked a lot with the Milwaukee FSDO, and some with the Chicago FSDO, and my image of them has become very postive. The FSDO rep I do my part 135 checkrides with flew F-4's in Viet Nam, great guy, makes the checkrides fun. At all the airshows they are very professional and friendly. That's not to say they can't get serious when they need to, but in my experience they are not out to get every pilot they can. That said, I know different areas of the country have different FSDO 'atmospheres', so it depends where you're at, I guess.

ryan1234

I always had a preconceived negative image of FSDO staff, but I have to say over the last few years I have worked a lot with the Milwaukee FSDO, and some with the Chicago FSDO, and my image of them has become very postive. The FSDO rep I do my part 135 checkrides with flew F-4's in Viet Nam, great guy, makes the checkrides fun. At all the airshows they are very professional and friendly. That's not to say they can't get serious when they need to, but in my experience they are not out to get every pilot they can. That said, I know different areas of the country have different FSDO 'atmospheres', so it depends where you're at, I guess.

Our FSDO seems to be all politics. Some of the guys are really cool - but some are a little shady (one in particular that runs an illegal 135 with aircraft that he "manages")... there seems to be a lot of power plays as well - The FSDO's motto is "We're not happy until you're not happy"

HuggyU2

None
I've worked with the Sacramento FSDO for sometime on airshow and warbird stuff. They do a good job, and I've been able to build a rapport with them that will hopefully last a long time.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Not sure why you would go out and pay for an FAA. The Doc told me he could give me the FAA phys I needed to go along with my mil comp ratings.