• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about being a SWO after OCS

surfnturf88

You can't break your lease for a deployment, only a PCS move. I did the short term/month-month lease-> storage locker thing as a single guy; banked a shit ton of $$$. Keep in mind that deployment dates can change; my first was delayed by 7 months from what was scheduled and my second was all out cancelled, so get an appt that you will be OK living in for longer than expected.

Definitely prefer month to month if they will let you do it right off the bat instead of having to do a year lease first.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all the FRSes in the area, I'd be surprised if you can't find somebody who needs a roommate.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Just don't be that guy who lives on the ship. Nothing good comes of being that guy.

When it comes to living arrangements, this is the best advice you will ever receive. Living on the ship and being a geobachelor are never a good idea.

As for living arrangements: I always had success with Craigslist and Padmapper. It's pretty easy to find people who are renting out condos and houses near military bases. I've always found that preferable to normal apartment complexes. The neighborhoods are usually quieter and in nicer areas. Don't be the dude who gets a dirt cheap place in a bad part of town just to save a few bucks.

otejay

Yes I did. I'm going LCS so I was ordered to check-in at the LCS squadron building for TAD upon returning from Newport. I was there for about 2 months before I classed up for BDOC. Depending on where your ship is after OCS, you'll either report to your ship (as TAD) then go to BDOC or just muster at BDOC until your class starts. It was pretty hectic when I visited my ship. My ship was going through INSURV so everyone was stressed out with that. It was a good learning experience during that time because everyone was on their A game when we picked their brains, as requested by the CO. I was fortunate enough to go underway with the ship for a couple of days. It was a fun experience. Being on the bridge watching special evolutions was pretty awesome. I mostly stood UI watch on the bridge and started working on some qualifications. Basically being a sponge and trying to absorb as much information as possible. Oh yeah, can't forget the "Hey lets quiz the new Ensign" moments on the bridge and in the wardroom.

A few questions, if you don't mind:
Other than being a saturated sponge of knowledge, what else do you do during your time in TAD before BDOC?
Do you get assigned busywork in between working on some quals?
How long was your "layover" between commissioning and BDOC?

Thank you!

Larick

None
Contributor
A few questions, if you don't mind:
Other than being a saturated sponge of knowledge, what else do you do during your time in TAD before BDOC?
Do you get assigned busywork in between working on some quals?
How long was your "layover" between commissioning and BDOC?

Yeah just saw your reply on the other thread. When I was TAD to my ship (lcs crew), all they wanted from me was to not be late for watch, knockout some PQS items if possible, and go to every brief in the wardroom to get some experience. My "layover" between comm. and BDOC was around 2 months

otejay

Yeah just saw your reply on the other thread. When I was TAD to my ship (lcs crew), all they wanted from me was to not be late for watch, knockout some PQS items if possible, and go to every brief in the wardroom to get some experience. My "layover" between comm. and BDOC was around 2 months

Great. Thanks again!

Bluecore

How long ago was this? I am concerned that the two months you experienced might be a lot longer these days. I think I remember reading somewhere that the large backlist for BDOC spots is one of the reasons they aren't giving as many SWOs OCS dates.

Larick

None
Contributor
This was NOV-DEC2014 with a BDOC class starting in JAN2015. I had BDOC classmates be on board their ship for 4+months waiting to class up.

CAMike

None
Contributor
When it comes to living arrangements, this is the best advice you will ever receive. Living on the ship and being a geobachelor are never a good idea.

As for living arrangements: I always had success with Craigslist and Padmapper. It's pretty easy to find people who are renting out condos and houses near military bases. I've always found that preferable to normal apartment complexes. The neighborhoods are usually quieter and in nicer areas. Don't be the dude who gets a dirt cheap place in a bad part of town just to save a few bucks.

When I was Active Duty this is so true. At first, I was second guessing myself for paying so much to live at the beach but my concerns quickly became a non issue once ashore. It's worth it and you'll likely acquire a few stories that will last a life time.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
So, what's up with this 2nd class swim test I've heard about. Is it something SWOs do in OCS or when they get to their ship?

Larick

None
Contributor
So, what's up with this 2nd class swim test I've heard about. Is it something SWOs do in OCS or when they get to their ship?
You can do it at OCS if you want or wait until you get to your command. Highly recommend you do it at OCS though. One less thing to worry about.