• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about being a SWO after OCS

azguy

None
I'm interested in the aviation capabilities of the Amphibs and not so much interested in the warfare capabilities of the destroyers and cruisers. I went to the Navy site and looked through each type of ship. The amphibs are what caught my attention. I also spent a week on an amphib in high school, which I know is not a full picture of what working on what would be like, but I enjoyed it.

If all you're interested in is aviation, I would try to get a CVN. I'd say their aviation capabilities put those of the amphibs to shame. They are letting SWOs go there in limited numbers now. The carrier nuke SWOs call the non-nuke SWO ship's company, "nuclear waste." :eek:

KMC1020

If all you're interested in is aviation, I would try to get a CVN. I'd say their aviation capabilities put those of the amphibs to shame. They are letting SWOs go there in limited numbers now. The carrier nuke SWOs call the non-nuke SWO ship's company, "nuclear waste." :eek:

As tempting as being called nuclear waste sounds, I'd rather not get lost amongst the masses of junior officers on a CVN.

KMC1020

I am actually a member of Sailor Bob. @KMC1020, just message the moderator and explain to him that you have been selected for OCS, and he will approve it.

As for the site itself, I am non prior, and so I find the information incredibly hard to wade through because of all the acronyms and terms that are being used among men who have been SWOs their entire lives, lol. Very hard to follow and to find information you're looking for on there, compared to this website.

What's the username of the moderators? Just registered and want to give them a heads up so they'll approve it

swerdna

None
Contributor

Are they letting first-tour DIVOs on CVNs now?

If so, I would recommend staying far away from them as a first-tour option. They are not SWO centric and you're definitely going to get lost among all of the aviators.

azguy

None
Are they letting first-tour DIVOs on CVNs now?

If so, I would recommend staying far away from them as a first-tour option. They are not SWO centric and you're definitely going to get lost among all of the aviators.

Yes, in small numbers, at least they have very recently. I believe it was designed for the SWO-Metoc/Intel folks to get some exposure to those communities while qualifying SWO. And yes, totally agree CVN for a first tour SWO is a bad choice, for the exact same reasons LHA/LHD is a bad choice. You're much more likely to fall through the cracks of the qual process in a huge wardroom and you aren't exposed to normal fleet operations.