• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about being a Seal Officer

M.Hans2003

Hey guys I have a few questions about being a seal officer, 1st one and the biggest question is do seal officers see the same combat and enlisted seals? And let’s say I were commission as a seal officer and i complete my requirements for NSWDG and I make it into green team and complete that would I be drafted into a squadron and go into combat or stay back and watch while enlisted do everything? Is it recommended to go into seals as and officer or enlisted?

Currently halfway done with my bachelors degree in college also in NROTC

I will update this thread with more questions as they come up in my head, thanks for the help.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site! As you’ve probably noticed, this isn’t a Navy SPECWAR site, so you probably won’t get all of the answers you’re looking for. I recommend heading over to socnet.com to speak with folks from that community. Fair warning, they’ll expect you to have done some research before starting threads, and they don’t have a ton of patience for basic questions.

That all being said, here are some answers to your questions.

1) Yes, you will train, deploy, and fight with your enlisted SEALs, however your time in the field will decrease as you become more senior.

2) Focus on getting selected as a SEAL and completing BUDS first, and then worry about future career stops like DEVGRU.

3) There is a much greater opportunity to become a SEAL as an enlisted sailor, as officer spots are limited, and a percentage of those slots are given to USNA graduates. However, there is no “recommendation” for which way to become a SEAL. It ultimately is over to your interests/desire to find yourself in a leadership billet.

Finally, search around this site and socnet a bit before asking additional questions. You’re not the first to have asked any of the questions you posed.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hey guys I have a few questions about being a seal officer, 1st one and the biggest question is do seal officers see the same combat and enlisted seals? And let’s say I were commission as a seal officer and i complete my requirements for NSWDG and I make it into green team and complete that would I be drafted into a squadron and go into combat or stay back and watch while enlisted do everything? Is it recommended to go into seals as and officer or enlisted?

Currently halfway done with my bachelors degree in college also in NROTC

I will update this thread with more questions as they come up in my head, thanks for the help.
1. As a SEAL Officer, you will lead your Sailors on missions, often in the same field conditions that they are in. Sometimes that's combat and sometimes that's a recon mission and sometimes it's some other mission type. It's not all running and gunning. You're putting the cart before the horse. You need to get a commission and a slot at BUD/S first.

2. Have you talked with your NROTC advisors about the SEAL Pup program or any other other SPECWAR recruiting programs? If not, then you are behind the curve. There are VERY FEW Special Warfare and EOD billets every year and they are incredibly competitive. Also, they require that you interview with SEAL Officers during your summer breaks/CORTRAMIDS or whatever it's called. You should already have interviews scheduled, dive physicals done, and have done a couple of Physical Screening Tests by now.

3. If you're serious about being a SEAL then you need to be eating, breathing, and sleeping being a SEAL. I recommend going over to http://www.socnet.com/, reading through the board about becoming a SEAL, beginning prep work, and THEN asking them questions. They are all current or former SOF and have been there and done that. They are a grumpy bunch but will help you if you show some effort and prior proper headwork.

Best of luck