• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for Salty Fighter/Attack Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In modern air-to-ground warfare, how often are dumb bombs used? Seems like they're adapting JDAMs and laser guided munitions to everything, including CAS.

The Fleet bubbas know better, but anyone else, please don't violate OPSEC.... this is a tricky line of questioning as it is....

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With over 300 controls Ill throw out an answer and let others chime in. Dumb boms are still used a rough guess would be 30-40 percent. A dumb bomb on a smart jet (laser spot tracker and GPS/INS) becomes pretty good.
JDAM is not the ideal weapon for CAS outside of an urban fight. Urban it is pretty good as long as the ground guy cna pull menserated grids. JDAMs do not do moving targets well. LGBs are pretty much the king of CAS still. The nice thing about dumb bombs is they are relatively cheap, plentiful and the systems on board now provide a very good CEP withe above metioned systems. I will let the pointy nose guys chime in

Kolja

Git-r-done
concur wtih skid, insofar as I can discuss it here (not a pointy nose guy, but AM an instructor at Strike FWIW...)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
So with every swinging d!ck in the world able to buy a GPS jammer, does that affect how/when we utilitze JDAMs?

$10 says y'all won't be able to talk too much to that one... but thought I'd throw it out there...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No one will speak to that sorry. Careful everyone we are approaching lockdown

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
So with every swinging d!ck in the world able to buy a GPS jammer, does that affect how/when we utilitze JDAMs?

$10 says y'all won't be able to talk too much to that one... but thought I'd throw it out there...

Tell you from my engineering background that GPS is easy as SH!T to jam. It's also pretty easy to counter-jam. To those wondering about OPSEC, this is not new information in the least. This is something studied in any self respecting electrical engineering signals class.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
No one will speak to that sorry. Careful everyone we are approaching lockdown

I know. I think any SNA/SNFO with half a brain will know better.... but I'm sure someone else will ruin the party....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I can't imagine that any SNA/SNFO would actually know enough to cause any damage with that one.

Hahha yeah. Just covering my bases since I started the topic.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super18Ordie said:
During the Iraqi cruise we used Rockeye

This I remember, since the media seemed offended and appaled at this. Rumsfield handled that question excellently.

Kolja

Git-r-done
TurnandBurn55 said:

I'm not taking your bet. ;)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
In the old days we used to carry enough dumb ordinance to get the kill. Now, we trade quantity for precision.

Why? An A-6E could easily carry 12 Mk-82's where as an F/A-18 had a hard time with 4 Mk-82's. Now, an F/A-18 with two 500 lb JDAM is as effective as an A-6E with 12 MK-82's.

In effect, we have traded smart B/N's and pilots working hard to solve the targetting solution for delivery pilots that drop smart ordinance that does it's own targetting problem.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
In the old days we used to carry enough dumb ordinance to get the kill. Now, we trade quantity for precision.

Why? An A-6E could easily carry 12 Mk-82's where as an F/A-18 had a hard time with 4 Mk-82's. Now, an F/A-18 with two 500 lb JDAM is as effective as an A-6E with 12 MK-82's.

In effect, we have traded smart B/N's and pilots working hard to solve the targetting solution for delivery pilots that drop smart ordinance that does it's own targetting problem.

Of course. But there has to be a place left for unguided munitions... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.